New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

14k Mr Gold found!

edited March 2013 in Collecting
Hi everyone, I would like to share with you an amazing discovery!

I am from Hungary and just received cases of Series 10 figures.
I sell sealed boxes so decided to weigh them for Mr. gold, since I can not open them. I did not have high hope because 5000 worldwide is not many from my experience. But amazing, one box definitely weighed more!

So I open it and it did not take long to tell which bag is heaviest and then I feel the hat! But when I open it, even bigger surprise! He is shiny gold and insert say "Congratulations, 1 of 5 14k gold figure!" But that is not all!! Best part is it say I may attend with one guest a Lego Inside Factory tour in 2014!

I am not sure if the figure is solid gold or only plate. It has printing and not etching like gold c3po last time. Can anyone at Lego tell me?

I attached a photo. I took with my camera phone so sorry for the poor quality. I have the paper too but it has a code so can not post that!

a324l53534.jpg
400 x 533 - 240K
margot

Comments

• Wow! That's quite the nice find, congrats on being first!

However, are you sure this really is 14kt gold? There is supposed to be a "gold" minifigure, coming in series 10. However, it is merely chrome/pear gold, not 14kt solid gold. Chrome is probably what you really have here. Sorry to squash your hopes!

In any case, I'd be interested in purchasing it from you. I'll PM you so we can work out the details and perhaps you can send me a few more pictures.
  • Lol. Wondered how long it would take for one of these to surface.

@samiam391 - you can rest assure it real alright. Was told about a few weeks ago but was sworn to secrecy. Now that it's 'out', I guess it's okay to confirm? ;o)
  • edited March 2013
    Forgot to mention....there should be a telephone number on the ticket allowing the finder to get in touch with TLG. If you are serious about trading it, it's important the number doesn't get divulged online.
  • edited March 2013
    Legoboy said:

Lol. Wondered how long it would take for one of these to surface.

@samiam391 - you can rest assure it real alright. Was told about a few weeks ago but was sworn to secrecy. Now that it's 'out', I guess it's okay to confirm? ;o)

I'm shocked. Also surprised that one popped up in Hungary so fast, considering its rarity. I guess everyone will be running out now to their local market rifle through stacks of Series 10 cases. Let the crazed groping and scale weighing begin! :o)

Thanks for the confirmation on the figure @Legoboy, it's greatly appreciated.
  • @LordPaisy_AFOL - you lucky sod. Maybe it's like the Willy Wonka story and TLG are looking for someone to run their factory.........in China! ;op
    sidersddFatMattandhe
  • edited March 2013
    Welcome to the forum Lord Paisy! Just so you know, something like this would probably go better in a general category, like collecting (don't worry, a mod will move it when they get a chance) :-).
    Anyway, that is quite a find you have there; but if Legoboy can confirm it, it's probably true.
    @samiam391 It actually makes quite a bit of sense putting the first in one of the first batches; if they're letting it get it's own publicity, the sooner it it's found, the better. Now if only they'd show up in the U.S. now ...
  • Moved to "collecting"... although this isn't so much collecting as it is winning the LEGO lottery
    andhe
  • edited April 2013
    Perhaps I am missing something here, but is that not clearly a faked image?

The Minifigure and leaflet are out of perspective it seems to me and the date on the computer screen at the back is surely not correct? The time now in Hungary is only 1:02am on April the 1st, and assuming that the date is formatted in the American style (month/day/year) the time of 9:29am cannot be. Correct me if I am wrong but there is nothing about that photo that convinces me that you are telling the truth.

April Fool? :)

rocao - CapnRex101 unraveled this almost immediately and so I quarantined this post to allow the joke to maybe snare some folks. Good detective work CapnRex101!
  • edited March 2013
    I had heard rumblings. And if Flump says so, then that's double confirmation (unless of course were talking anout the Flying Dutchman). :o)
  • ^2015. :-)
  • I see someone fixed the account being "staff", now you have to give the account some "visits".
  • Can you post a photo of the insert.
  • Well, Gold plate would maybe weigh more with a very accurate scale, but I don't know about the chromed ones. This is not good news because if you can just weigh the case, I'm sure only distributors will be getting all the Mr. Golds
    madforLEGOpharmjod
  • Of course it is hard to believe anything right now being that it is April 1st.
    RomanticWarriorGuroooandhe
  • Nice one.:) You should have given a bit fewer give-aways though, it was too easy.
  • In another news, major breakthrough in time travel. What is a real gold Mr. Gold compared to that? Ha!
  • ^ First post is marked March 31st, but Hungary is one hour ahead of UK so could have been April 1st when they posted. Hmmmmmm.
  • If it was 14K, I wouldn't expect printing on the fig.
  • So thats 4 left now, i wonder what the exact odds are of finding one? Astronomically high i would imagine, even more so now that one has been found.

I can imagine these will have a pretty hefty aftermarket value

• The more i look at the picture the more it looks to me like its a photoshop job
  • This is a fake, no doubt about it.
  • That photo looks 'Shopped.

I know nothing about this promotion, aside from it's part of CMFS #100000 (with many more to come!) and that it bears similarity to the Sterling Silver Krana Kal randomly packaged in Bohrok Kal sets ten years ago.

But yeah, look at the edges of the figure in the picture. It has no depth in the context of the background, so I want to cry, "Fake!"
  • edited March 2013
    Pitfall69 said:

Of course it is hard to believe anything right now being that it is April 1st.

Exactly what I thought. I looked at it and guffawed considering it's the 1st of April over there. I did fall for it for a second though, as the picture is less than perfect with that poor pixel display.

Although I feel even more foolish now, because after some discussion with the owner, I'm convinced it's real. And I have actually purchased the item.
    With the amount of money I just laid down, it better not be fake! :-O

• it is currently April 1, 2013, 1:50 am in Hungary, but the picture in the OP, which was posted over 2 hours ago, says April 1, 2013, at 9:29 am on the computer in the backdrop. curious why they would have their computer clock set 10-12 hours ahead of the actual time...
  • dougts said:

it is currently April 1, 2013, 1:50 am in Hungary, but the picture in the OP, which was posted over 2 hours ago, says April 1, 2013, at 9:29 am on the computer in the backdrop. curious why they would have their computer clock set 10-12 hours ahead of the actual time...

Dude, it's clearly an April Fool's joke perpetuated by this "new" member, with Legoboy and Samiam391 taking it further. If I sound like a fun-crusher, I'm in North America and it's still too early for hatching April Fool's jokes. Even mediocre Photoshop jobs such as this.
  • Apart from the picture from the future issue it would have been more believable if the topic starter was an absolutely new account joining to share his luck, not one carefully created 6 days in advance. 'Roles: Member, Staff' on his page didn't help either.

And next time please try to look a bit less English when impersonating a Hungarian. (Yeah, I noticed the carefully placed grammatical errors.) Having 'AFOL' in the account name was a serious mistake comparable to showing three with your fingers the wrong way.:D
  • Must admit, i fell for for it :D

But i did find it odd that the OP found it by the box weight alone considering they arnt going to way anymore than a regular figure
  • I'm wagering April fools.

The idea that LEGO would put 14k gold minifigs into general packages intended for retail sale goes against what I've heard from LEGO in the past. Supposedly, there was a great deal of confusion about this for the chrome C-3PO figures, where many consumers believed there were gold figures in LEGO boxes, and theft of Star Wars sets was rampant thanks to people thinking they could get a figure that was worth thousands.

DaveE
  • Perhaps the OP has faked the photo. But it appears to be based on the official image. I checked with my source and he said since it isn't marked confidential, it should be okay to share.
    83e2d7c12fc1538be0e296cbd4e8df.png
    350 x 388 - 128K
  • Very interesting little mini figure. The printing or etching doesn't look as good as the image I saw showing him poking out of the back of the others in the set.

Out of curiosity I wonder if anyone can tell me is it built in the bag or does it come in parts like the other figures ready to build?
  • @ OP Can you show the insert but just keep the code hidden?
  • edited April 2013
    Tssk Tssk. *shakes head in shame*

Oh, my dear fellow Bricksetters, and the young born into an age of cgi, internet, photo manip.tech, yet you fall for the simplest trick. Oh woe, oh woe, what will become of our naive younglings. The world will eat them up in their little cotton socks, with promises of lollypops and gingerbread houses.

(It's an obvious fake - I didn't even think about or notice the date - just felt the picture alone was clearly the flat 2D image copy/pasted onto a photo of a laptop. (And possibly inverted too).
    Just look at the hat)

Nice try...

:oD

• I can confirm its actually gold covered chocolate. really heavy chocolate.
  • @ legomatt Thanks Columbo...but a little too late to confirm it's a fake. Thanks for your worldly advise.

• Hardrada said:

Having 'AFOL' in the account name was a serious mistake comparable to showing three with your fingers the wrong way.:D

It worked well for the anagram though.
  • SO IS IT REAL OR NOT?

I'm so confused.
  • SO IS IT REAL OR NOT?

I'm so confused.

I've bought it, so I would sure hope so considering what I paid.

• edited April 2013
    I don't believe a word of this thread starting with the first comment and every other comment after that, including this one :)
    yys4u
  • ^^ Paypal, I hope?
  • edited April 2013
    1265 said:

@ legomatt Thanks Columbo...but a little too late to confirm it's a fake. Thanks for your worldly advise.

*splutter* What, wait... did i effectively just get told to 'shut up'?
    In a joke thread?? :-O

Maybe not exactly, but in a roundabout manner, cos' that's what it sounds like to me, mister no-smileys... :oC

Well, I am shocked to the very core. Boo to you, sir. I shall meet thee on the heath at dawn. :oS

Besides: (Too late? When most of the posts are by people setting the joke up!? And the thread is on it's first page? Jeez)
  • ^^ Paypal, I hope?

Of course. I'd be a fool to use any other sort of payment option with this type of an item, or any item in general.

• "Who is more foolish; the fool or the fool that follows him?"
    wagnerml2Jonn420GothamConstructionCoThe_Creator
  • legomatt said:

1265 said:

@ legomatt Thanks Columbo...but a little too late to confirm it's a fake. Thanks for your worldly advise.

Maybe not exactly, but in a roundabout manner, cos' that's what it sounds like to me, mister no-smileys... :oC

Well, I am shocked to the very core. Boo to you, sir. I shall meet thee on the heath at dawn. :oS

Besides: (Too late? When most of the posts are by people setting the joke up!? And the thread is on it's first page? Jeez)
    Where is that again? I will meet both of you there.

• edited April 2013
    At first I was like, "There is no way this is happening again!"
    But then I read that you received a Lego Inside Tour ticket with it and I noticed that a portion of the hat is chopped off...

That is quite the clever April Fools joke, though. It definitely got my attention.
  • legomatt said:

1265 said:

Holy crap Batman!!! This dude is insane!!! I'm, sorry....please don't come after me. If so, look down the barrel......hahahahah!!!

• Omg... Just realized its April fools day... I'm stupid.
  • edited April 2013
    ^ Every post i made was in jest... the writing style is usually a dead giveaway, it was hardly serious at any stage. (and i don't possess a set of dueling pistols)
    :o)

But hey, if my first post re: 'the fakeness of the photo' was really so late that it required your calling it out, then i humbly apologise (i'll try to be first to post in future so as not to bore you so much). I assume you'll be certain to point out to everyone else yet to post an opinion here, that they are also too late to pass comment? ;oP

LOL :oD

(that's all... normal service will now resume:)

• Ah, my ^ got ninja'd by LegobrandonCP. In which case, should have been ^^ instead. Too late to edit. Right. I'm off now. :oP
  • The timing of this find couldn't be worse. [shakes head in disbelief]
  • Haha good one guys :)