New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Game over for LEGO Games

Comments attributed from All About Bricks blog (link below). There are some planned games, including Batman, that may now not see the light of day.

I didn't care for the games much. But ... I did love parting these out as they were an excellent source for bricks, slopes and some baseplates. And I thought the microfigs were cute.

http://allaboutbricks.blogspot.com/2013/04/breaking-news-lego-games-cancelled.html

Comments

• Does this include Helm's Deep? :/
  • Hope this isn't true. But it's believable. I have a soft spot for these cute parts packs games.
  • Wouldn't surprise me. They were selling quite badly here as well. Made them perfect purchases for parting out whenever they were discounted though. And that was quite often.
  • I would go so far as to say Heroica has been my favourite non-licensed theme. I guess I'll be buying as many as I can for MOCs to keep the theme alive... And they'd better still release Helm's Deep, or I'll be twice as annoyed.
  • edited April 2013
    I wonder where they stand legally in cancelling the licensed sets like Batman and Helm's Deep.
  • Helm's Deep is already available here in Germany!
  • At retail, most of these games seemed priced a bit too high. It wasn't until they were clearanced that the shelves would start to empty.
  • My family loves the lego games, so I will be sad to see them go. However, we were only buying when they were 50% off. Still have my eyes on Creationary.
  • I think the the only game that sold gang busters was when that pyramid game was selling for 4 bucks a piece because of a LEGO SNAFU and that was only because of the 32x32 baseplate that was in that set.
  • Too bad. I think Lego dropped the ball with Heroica, it could have been so much better.It should have been merchandised as seperate elements that you could buy to combine as you pleased, not as "sets" that you could just conect to each other. Then target an older demographic; let the 12 and under crowd have Ninjago and Chima, and TFOLs and AFOLs have heroica.... but thats just what I think.
  • epyon396 said:

Does this include Helm's Deep? :/

The games mentioned are Batman, Chima and Story Mixer. I think I'll wait for an official announcement before crying.

I wouldn't be surprised though. The games have always seem a tad pricey and if I was a parent, I'd probably chose to spend the same amount on a building set. Most of the games I bought were a bit lacking in basic rules. I know they're for kids, but I'm not talking complexity, just rules that made the game actually fun and workable.

Heroica seemed to have it's fans, and were even promised (in response to the question 'Will there be any more sets') that 'this is your year'. Seeing as 2013 saw one set, and an impossible to find poly, I guess it wasn't.

• Man that's bad news. I bought many, many a LEGO game but like others they were all at a discount. These are great parts packs to say the least. The 16x16 plates that came with some of the games are great as are the microfigs.
  • I don't find LEGO games very interesting so I don't really care. It's just that I enjoy building much more than playing some game, but I have to admit that some of them looked interesting.
  • The interesting thing to look out for will be that if the cancellation has come at this point then there is a fair chance that the 3 cancelled games were already in production.
  • One thing I really love about the Lego Games sets are the boxes. I wish all Lego came in boxes like that!

They're not bad for keeping other things in, too. I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought a bunch of cheap Minotaurus games just for the green baseplates, or the Battle of Hoth just for the microfigures...
    andhesidersdd
  • I own pretty much every LEGO game ever produced, with the notable exception of... the ever-so-popular Creationary. I have mixed feelings about this.

Like others, I pretty much used this line to get rare parts dirt cheap, always waiting for a 30-50% discount, and always getting it. But hey, nothing wrong with that — if anything this hurt the sellers, but TLG was still getting their money. More to the point, this wasn't really anything special as people like me are on the lookout for discounts anyway. I would be hard pressed to think of a single one of my (hundreds of) sets that I didn't get at a discount of 20% or more.

I also never much cared for actually playing the games. I did play the very first one I bought, Pirate Code, many times over, tweaking the rules and the board and whatnot. I also played Magikus a couple times, which wasn't spectacular to say the least. And that was it. Somehow I never got around to playing the others, even when they looked intriguing. So at some point I just started parting out the games the day I got them. However, again, that is not very different from how I handle other sets. There are easily over a hundred non-game sets I bought, and opened, but never once assembled.

Lastly, TLG discontinues themes all the time. And in fact this one has been running for an exceptionally long period. Even though it was never much of a theme to begin with. Ramses Pyramid has nothing in common with Meteor Strike or City Alarm or [name any game here].

So why am I having mixed feelings about it at all, then? I think the only reason is that the part lists were so quirky. It was fun. Not your usual, "hey here's our 42nd iteration of a police car, with one new mold thrown in", but really a cool mix of parts pretty much every single time.

However, on the flip side sometimes the mix was just too quirky. Like, think how Kokoriko had 33 white domes (and BrickLink is drowning in them right now), or Orient Bazaar had 60 pearl-gold tiles, etc. The Hobbit is more repetitive still, probably the record holder so far, I just happen not to mind having more of this particular color, and the 4×1 slope is still new.

So yeah, I hope some other line will step in to help me get my fix of weird parts, though I'm not sure what line that could possibly be. But other than that, shrug. I might get a bit sentimental one day, and even go and actually play these games, and then shed a big manly tear. But that day isn't today.
    rocao
  • If they do cancel planned games, I'll be disappointed about Phineas & Ferb. My daughter loves that show. I'd prefer a regular line of figs and sets, but the game could have been great.

Guess, we'll make our own. That's the beauty of Lego.
  • I certainly hope that even if LEGO Games goes down the tubes, the microfig will remain in use as an architectural detail or as a minifigure infant. This latter use is one I've been anxiously awaiting since the microfig was first revealed.

It'll be a shame to see LEGO Games go away, since it was truly a noble effort to blend the fun of LEGO building with board games. But I'll admit some of the games, like a lot of board games, became repetitive and thus lost a lot of replay value. Maybe that's just me speaking as an AFOL — I remember playing a lot of equally-simple board games as a kid and loving them — but in general, the LEGO board games didn't really excite me as much as I feel they should have.
  • @Aanchir I am even more interested in seeing new uses for the die. I just overheard in the other thread that it was like one of the most expensive molds ever. I suppose TLG would rather retire it later than sooner.

I don't think the microfigures are going away. There are lots and lots of possible uses for them, across the board, from CMF to Architecture. The die is certainly more tricky.
  • A question about the die; I've always considered that it might make a fantastic SNOT piece, but I've never taken the time to try and incorporate it into a model. Has anyone else done so? Any success?
  • I have not used it yet, but I was thinking the Dice could be useful in things like spokes of a wheel/ferris wheel, etc or a grid/maze, etc. Lots of interesting possible uses.
  • Aanchir said:

I certainly hope that even if LEGO Games goes down the tubes, the microfig will remain in use as an architectural detail or as a minifigure infant. This latter use is one I've been anxiously awaiting since the microfig was first revealed.

My 6 year old is really enjoying the microfigure. I recently picked up the Magma monster (and then I grabbed another yesterday), because of the large orange flat. I pretty much gave him the pieces to build last weekend, and we chucked the game. Funny, though, he created his own board game, complete with a sliding entrance, lava trap door, microfigures with special abilities, etc.

I have to say the game play was far better than several of the Lego games I played. I am not sure if that is a testament to my 6 year old, or if that speaks to the game play of the Lego games. ;-)

• I've remember seeing an amazing looking Rubik's Cube made from several of the die piece. Not sure where now, but presume it was posted on BrothersBrick.
  • I was discussing this topic with people from our LUG yesterday and my take on it is kudos to TLG for trying the Games line. In western business culture, there is such a fear of failure that established companies rarely innovate. They gave the idea a legitimate shot at succeeding, and waited several years to decide to end it. The best corporate cultures celebrate failures equally with successes, and encourage employees to keep trying.

Regarding the die, there are posts online about cutting the rubber off and using the solid part for SNOT in multiple directions. I can't see TLG continuing to produce that part, so that will be a loss for builders. I can see the microfigure being continued as a greebling element, and continuing to make random appearances.

The biggest question we discussed was whether any of the games were close enough to release to have been fully prototyped. We know that TLG does early limited set runs to distribute for PR (photographing for ads, writing copy, etc.). So if there is an actual copy of the Batman game floating around, now that would become the holy grail for collectors!
  • I seem to remember seeing an interview with LEGO CEO Jørgen Knudstorp, where he talked about the Games line, saying that it was an experiment, and only meant to run for a few years. He himself liked the games, and would like to extend the run, if it made sense financially.

Unfortunately I don't remember the context, but I think it was when they released their 2012 results. Maybe I've dreamt it?
  • They'll probably bring Games back as a licensed theme. Connect4, Monopoly, Sorry, Battleship, Life, stuff like that.
  • ^ Those are Hasbro games, and Hasbro makes KREO, so that isn't likely to happen. :)
  • even if they close down the Games range, there's no reason why Lego can't occasionally release games. The Kingdoms chess set was part of Kingdoms, not games (even the current one which game out after Games).
  • Yeah, they've had plenty of games outside of the "Games" line before, like chess and tic-tac-toe. They've also had partner-produced games like the "Save the Kingdom" game, or the "Creator Game", or "Constructionary", and even a few oddball games that didn't require explicit purchase, like the "Castle Game" or the "Orient Expedition" game.

I don't expect they'll stop making games all together-- they just won't publish them with such high frequency under the "Games" title, and they won't have their own design division at LEGO anymore.

That might mean that we continue to see the LEGO die produced from time to time (maybe, maybe not-- they did apparently produce their own molded die for Orient Expedition). But we shouldn't count on seeing it again, and certainly not on seeing it regularly if so (unless they keep a few explicit games like Creationary around). And the same with microfigs. They'll still have the mold, so they'll use it when they think it's appropriate, like mini statues and such-- we just shouldn't count on a wide variety of printed microfigs coming out every year.

I have to admit, I didn't see it going very far, although I did love the concept behind Heroica, even if the implementation was kinda weak. I want to believe that if done right (shooting slightly higher in age range) that it could be a bigger success, but I can't say for sure.

DaveE
  • There are sets on ebay so I question the accuracy of this report.
  • The store calendar for June highlights the release of the Chima game on June 1. While that doesn't necessarily confirm the game will be released, it does bring into question the veracity of the blog post.
  • I just picked mine up in Germany just in case, along with the LOTR game and SW game. But I do doubt the rumor.
    icey117
  • ^I think cancelling a theme can also mean a limited release for those sets already produced. Maybe in those countries where sales have been better, or they have easy methods of distribution.

I guess we'll need an official announcement from TLG to know for sure.
  • edited May 2013
    I just bought a 50006 (Legends of Chima) in Germany. Guess I should have bought two. :-0
  • Does anyone recommend any of the games for good rare pieces (other than the die which is in most of the sets).?
  • ^ Microscale Darth Vader is probably one of the more expensive parts in a game set, same with other characters as microfigs. Otherwise games tend to be common / cheaper parts but in decent quantities and obviously make up cheap parts packs when 70% off RRP. Baseplates (eg in minotaurus) are not really rare, but cheap if the whole set only costs you 8 Euro.

Off the top of my head ...

Harry Potter game has a blue spider.

The worm tile / face from Kokoriko is nice.

Monster4 has 20 monster heads (although common)

Orient baazar has lots of perfume bottles.

Pirate plank has 2x skull and crossbones tiles.
  • I would have said City Alarm for white 2x2 jumpers, but these have now been (fleetingly) on PaB walls.
  • ^ Long enough for loads to appear on BL! The price of that part has really dropped now <10p. They are also only 8p direct from lego.
  • The Batman game is listed on Smyths - and looks pretty cool! I really want those microfigs! So I guess it's not cancelled.

http://www.smythstoys.com/lego-super-heroes-442sc/lego-games-batman-127958itm.aspx
    coachieCCC
  • edited May 2013
    ^Says available 1 Aug when I check at my nearest store.
  • That microscale batmobile is cool.

Cheaper RRP than SW Hoth game too.
  • I am looking forward to the Batman game too. It would be really fun to build a microscale Gotham City for the microfigs.
  • If they weren't canceling the game line, I imagine we would have heard from TLG by now. Here's hoping the new games at least reach the rest of the world.
  • That Batman game looks great. I certainly hope it hits the market.
  • If they weren't canceling the game line, I imagine we would have heard from TLG by now. Here's hoping the new games at least reach the rest of the world.

We would have heard if they were cancelling them, or we would have heard if they weren't?

• :o)

I imagine someone would have heard from TLG if false rumors were circulating about the demise of an entire product line.
  • As games, they were average at best. The bits are too fiddly and prone to getting lost. And once pieces are lost, the game itself is affected. It tried to be two things at once: a game and a lego building set. And in doing so, doesn't do either particular well. I have a few but wouldn't cry seeing them go. At least they tried!

Now to pick uo the rest on clearance!
  • shawn_low said:

.....Now to pick uo the rest on clearance!

I got two #3843 Ramses Pyramid's for about $13 last year. Never played the game but great for parts with a heap of tan bricks and a baseplate.
  • Found the Chima game at ToysRUs in Indianapolis.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    RomanticWarrior