New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van & 10222 Winter Village Post Office Photos...

Comments

• Those don't seem to be watermarked, so I'll leave them for now.
    That Post Office is great! It makes a change from the other two, as it's really different...
  • With all these great new sets coming out I need to take out a loan and expand my house.
  • edited July 2011
    Both sets look lovely ! The source looks to be the second edition of the LEGO collectors guide.

You know, as I said to the manager of one of the UK LEGO brand stores yesterday when I was trying to decide which sets NOT to buy, I don't remember a time when there were so many excellent and varied sets available. I think we're enjoying a real 'golden age' of LEGO building and collecting right now, so let's just enjoy the ride !
  • The problem is, it is definitely NOT a golden age financially...
  • edited July 2011
    LEGO has never been cheap; my friends' kids seem to own a lot more sets than I and my friends had when we were kids, however, and I'd bet that LEGO is cheaper in real terms now than it was then.

Although given that there's (IMHO) a lot more sets worth buying now than before, any real-terms decrease in price becomes irrelevant....!
  • Well look at it this way, Last year the value of the sets I wanted was less than the value if the sets I owned. I have bought a considerable number of sets, but the value of sets I now want is more than double the value I own!
  • That camper van is amazing.. nice to see a splitty. The other is great too,what brilliant news.
  • I love the design of the camper van, shame about the common colours though. Part of why I loved the Beetle was the rare colours. Still, it's shot to the top on my want list.
  • Loving the look of the Post Office and will definitely get that.

One question, what is the logo/icon at the bottom right of the image (looks like an Orange gem), is that saying that it has a light up element?
  • I would say that Lego in general (not including the obvious gouging for SW and maybe trains), due to inflation, is not any more expensive than it was back in the 80's.. just inflation makes it seem that way...
  • ^^ Yes, it's a light brick.

Both look great; I'll be getting both, but I'm pretty excited by the Camper - it looks fantastic :-)
  • I've been waiting the camper and it doesn't disappoint, in fact, it's better than i hoped for. Probably a hundred english pounds i reckon.
  • Those are some good looking pictures. I didn't expect to see anything until Aug or Sept, yet I'm happily wrong. Both sets look very good. Seeing the Camper makes me wish I'd bought the Beattle... however that logic applies to many sets I just can't afford!

Since I own the Toy Shop and Bakery it only makes sense to buy the Post Office. Not that it needs saying, but the Post Office looks beautiful.
  • On the matter of inflation, I think I remember 6611 was £1.99 in the mid 80s. Maybe that was just Woolworths prices but that was still a lot of money....
  • Agreed the post office looks great, a must have to go with the previous sets although it will be interesting to see how it looks in the flesh next to them with the lighter looking colours and the partial snow covered roof.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks for the link! Both sets are beautiful but the VW van is sweet. I agree that it could be even better in a les common color combo but the set is one I know I'll be getting.
  • Honestly, I was expecting more from the camper. I might change my tune when I see a better picture, but honestly it's a bit of a let down... :/
  • What would u improve about it? The wheels are spot on, the fronts a bit lumpy but pretty good for lego and thank god no new 'splitty front' piece ... only room for improvrment i can see is the side samba windows... should be more of them.
  • Big fan of both sets. I was a bit worried that the camper van would be disappointing but think it looks great and should be easy to colour change as I would prefer it to be blue. The winter village sets keep getting better and will compliment the other two perfectly. Would love a pub to be next but won't be holding my breath.
  • ^ Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't like how the side windows are inset, and yes the front is a bit lumpy, and the funny looking front bumper could have been 'blended in' a bit better...

For some reason I had this absolutely perfect Lego Kombi image in my head, something like this actually:
    http://rawartint.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/samba.jpg

Obviously, not that large, and that MOC probably has 3000+ pieces but that's sort of what I had in mind.

It just doesn't have that 'wow' factor I was hoping for. But, like I said, I might change my tune when I see some better pictures... :|
  • edited July 2011
    ^^ Yes, it's a light brick.
    It is also one of the things that makes the set price jump buy 10 bucks (USD) :-)

I like the 'winter' sets though, neat for the holidays. I am hoping when I have enough room for a Christmas tree that I can build these for under it and run the Holiday train around it all :-)
  • I find the light bricks a bit rubbish to be honest, mainly because you have to hold down the button to keep them illuminated. Why LEGO can't build an on/off switch into them instead beats me.
  • Both these sets are fantastic, just need to make space, so I can justify buying, building and displaying them.

@DrD yes I agree with the light bricks. The reason I believe is that it is a bulb and not an LED, if you had a switch then more than likely you would leave switched on and in less than an hour the battery would be flat, as the battery is only an LR6.

Based on these light bricks it has given me an idea to look at LED light bricks. If I get something that works I shall let fellow brickset members know as in my opinon we AFOL's are crying out for a decent modular lighting system ( well I am)

I am hoping to come to the Space centre Lego show, so shall try and find you to discuss light bricks and my ideas.
  • The Post Office looks great - need that red truck! Now, I just need to buy the Village Bakery and Toy Shop to go with it...