New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego Friends Jewelry Box Build

Saw this posted for a St. Louis mall, event is tomorrow. Seems to be a little under the radar. Lego Brand store event. Are all stores participating?

--

On Aug. 1 at 5pm we’ll get our first LEGO Friends give away! This one is for the girls–they will make a pink and purple jewelry box. (Or your boy could make it as a gift for mom? Hmmm.) They have a limit of 250 kits per store (one per child 6 to 14).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19924729@N07/9342257769

Comments

• Hmmm, can folks please chime in with opinions here as I am pretty out of it today: the bricks making up the bottom look either Medium Lavender or Lavender to me. And I can see 1x4 bricks.
  • In germany we get a flamingo :(
  • Flamingo in the UK too.
  • Flamingo sounds cool. But I'd rather lavender or medium lavender 1x4 bricks... is anyone in the States going who can confirm?
  • 1x4 and 1x2 and the lego store in des Peres is doing this in addition to to the flamingo and BBQ grill that was yesterday
  • Same in Canada, as I was at the Sherway Garden store in Toronto yesterday. We got a BBQ, and was told to come back on Thursday for the friends build and next Tuesday for the flamingo.
  • @caperberry They look like Medium Lavender bricks.
    adiemc
  • Thanks for the feedback @SilentMode and @dneul. So if those are 1x4 Medium Lavender bricks, they are probably newwwwww... can't find them in BL or BS catalogues. I feel a blog post coming on.
    flowerpotgirl
  • OK, now seeing the Flamingo has a 2x3 slope in Pink.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/19924729@N07/9345043170/in/photostream/

Putting new elements in promo builds is making my life a lot more difficult. *shakes fist*
  • OK, now seeing the Flamingo has a 2x3 slope in Pink.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/19924729@N07/9345043170/in/photostream/

Putting new elements in promo builds is making my life a lot more difficult. *shakes fist*

Actually, there are two 1 x 3 slopes - I happened to be at a store in July when they were building the model for August. And the directions were already released.

HTH
  • Ignore previous. It's two 1x3 slopes in the flamingo.
  • D'oh, posted before i read yours, @cmrt1014 :O) Thanks
  • I wanted to stop by the store tonight to pick up parts for my daughter, but you've got to have a child to do the build. Being a VIP member, it would be nice if they would waive that rule.
  • Looks great to me as I saw the flyer the day after the event at the Tyson's Corner store outside of DC in VA. Could they puuleeeeze start selling these promo build sets after the special events?
  • ^I wish. Looking for the instructions to this. I asked Lego and someone said they would mail them to me. If I get them, I'll post here.
  • ^ That would be much appreciated, looking for them also. Thanks!
  • I have the parts but not the directions...tried building it without them....it does look simple, doesn't it? No can do.
    The parts I have use dark pink instead of a lavender color on the bottom half. Does anyone know which color they used in the stores during this build last Thursday?

Photos of the parts I received are shown at this link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/75868658@N06/9435998207/in/photostream/

prevere: Thanks for posting the instructions once they arrive!
  • While this build is cute and uses some lovely colors, the flamingo monthly build kit is really at the top of my list. The design and the colors look superb! Thanks to LEGO for putting out two pastel colored sets in the same week. Now please make a bazillion of these sets so that we can afford to buy one of each. (StrangeIy for a nonviolent person, I did have a dream last night that LEGO funded a shooting squad for solving the problem of sellers asking 20US or more for these little ditties. Hummmmm!)
  • legogal said:

The parts I have use dark pink instead of a lavender color on the bottom half. Does anyone know which color they used in the stores during this build last Thursday?

I posed this very question on my blog as for the base to be lavender or medium lavender, exclusive new elements would be required! Despite how the pic looks, sadly someone came back to report that the stores used Dark Pink. :0(
  • There was a listing on eBay that showed all sides of the box. It sold, but check out the photos with: 141028783296
    HTH.
  • See this image:
    $(KGrHqEOKpYFHltFkJqbBR-wi(SWF!~~60_57.JPG
    1399 x 1599 - 373K
  • Took my daughter to the event on Aug 1st, yup dark pink 1x4. Other thing I noticed, normally these mini builds are in a polybag, not this one. They had parts of each build in little Lego store bags(yellow).
  • ^ that's not too unusual - neither the Holocron Droid nor the Superman event builds came in polybags.
  • Cmrt14,
    Thanks for the image from eBay!

The stores were given a big bag of parts and had to sort them into small bags sets. And then not sure what they did with the leftover parts, but some stores had a lot of them.

LEGO puts out some lovely in store promotions...too bad they just don't sell them in stores and online afterwards. You can look them up on BL under sets...LEGO stores. Many are extremely costly, which is sad because there are some outstanding designs. One of my favorites is the duck set given to employees in 2011. It goes for $150US if you are lucky for around 100 parts. What a shame. I saw one at BrickFairVA last weekend for $100., but that is just too high. $20. Is my limit for this set even though I adore ducks!

Let's hope that hey keep supporting Friends through such cute builds because they do attract the target market of girls if promoted a month in advance through the stores and online. This one seemed to come out of nowhere overnight.
  • Forgot to say this duck is listed on brickset, and it contains only 91 mostly common parts! It is based on the wooden toy duck they made long before plastic bricks.

They need to reintroduce this one worldwide as a set priced at $10US or less. It is just too cute!
  • I struggled for a long time over whether to buy the crazy-priced duck on eBay or to just buy the parts. Caved in eventually and got it at an OK-ish price relatively and have to admit, love having the box. I may feel less happy when I open it and the reality of how small 91 pieces are truly sinks in :O)

Maybe build it from parts and then see how you feel about forking out silly money!
  • @caperberry, do you need instructions for the Friends build? LEGO Customer Service emailed them to me.
  • @Russell844 - I'd be interested in seeing the instructions, if you could post them here?
  • Here you go!
    pdf
    pdf
    Friends Mini Model Build Directive.pdf
    prevere
  • @caperberry, do you need instructions for the Friends build? LEGO Customer Service emailed them to me.

Nice one thanks!
  • Well in lieu of the Medium Lavender elements I'd originally hoped for, this model nevertheless has some relatively rare stuff - those Dark Purple (Medium Lilac) elements. 2X2 round plate only in one set and the 1X6 plate only in two. Nice for those North Americans that got some!
  • @Russell844 Thank you so much for sharing!
  • Excellent, thank you so much!
  • Wow! Thanks for the instructions!
    Sorry there is no medium lavender, but I will take whatever Friends colors they will give us. Let's hope that they do more like this!