New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

What are you hoping to see in the next Lego Movie? (SPOILER WARNING)

In my opinion, The Lego Movie was simply awesome! The critics are going crazy and TLM 2 is already green-lit. I know it's super early to start speculating about the next movie, but why not dream? What are you hoping to see in The Lego Movie 2?

Here's what I hope to see-

More theme worlds- For example- Aquazone, Space, Adventurers, Harry Potter, Pirates. Those are just a few of my favorite themes. I was surprised that the Pirate theme didn't have a larger part in the movie. (aside from Metalbeard of course) There are so many possibilities to choose from!

More master builders and characters- Thinking about this gets me very excited. For example, I'd like to see a 1990's version of Benny- maybe Space Police 2 or Ice planet 2000? The 90s was a great decade for the space theme. Trans-Orange!

More "build vision"- that was just...awesome

More heart- the surprise dad-son relationship gave the movie a solid foundation

If they can pull off a Toy Story 2, the next movie will be even more spectacular. I can't wait! :)

Comments

• I want the Hero Factory heroes To be in the next LEGO Movie.
  • Lego Friends...just because of the humor they could get out of that....they had me cracking up when they briefly showed up in the movie as Wyldstyle was talking about the other worlds. And yes...the build vision was awesome...wish we could all really do that.
  • dannyrww said:

Lego Friends...just because of the humor they could get out of that....they had me cracking up when they briefly showed up in the movie as Wyldstyle was talking about the other worlds. And yes...the build vision was awesome...wish we could all really do that.

Wait, you're telling me you can't? ;)

My brother posited that a story about Finn entering his dark ages might be interesting, with Emmet going back to his old way of life as a result at a time when the Master Builders really need his imagination to confront some crisis. Finn's family would have to snap him out of it somehow.

As my brother said to me last night, "It could be like The Neverending Story 3, but better, because anything would be better than The Neverending Story 3, or it could be like Toy Story 3, but worse, because let's be realistic here."
  • what am I hoping to see? only 2 things: an original(or at least semi-original plot) and a plot that stays interesting. 2 things I didn't see TLM containing.

In TLM, the plot began ok and had ups and downs but shortly b4 the "this is just a kids imagination" reveal, it began getting boring(to me, it felt like they tried to smush multiple plots into one and I hated that). I would of loved to see more of emmet's day and Cloud cuckoo land.

the whole "kids imagination" plot reveal sharply swung things from "maybe I was wrong about not wanting to see it" to "I wonder if I could sneak out into the lobby and play animal crossing while I wait for the movie to let out and mom comes meet me". No I didn't b/c I doubt I would of ever heard that from her.

the plot feels like it belongs in the mid 90's, not 2014
  • edited February 11

what am I hoping to see? only 2 things: an original(or at least semi-original plot) and a plot that stays interesting. 2 things I didn't see TLM containing.

In TLM, the plot began ok and had ups and downs but shortly b4 the "this is just a kids imagination" reveal, it began getting boring(to me, it felt like they tried to smush multiple plots into one and I hated that). I would of loved to see more of emmet's day and Cloud cuckoo land.

the whole "kids imagination" plot reveal sharply swung things from "maybe I was wrong about not wanting to see it" to "I wonder if I could sneak out into the lobby and play animal crossing while I wait for the movie to let out and mom comes meet me". No I didn't b/c I doubt I would of ever heard that from her.

the plot feels like it belongs in the mid 90's, not 2014

I don't see what was unoriginal about the LEGO Movie's plot. The big reveal may not have been 100% unprecedented, but it still added another layer of depth and complexity to the story beyond just a generic "hero's journey". For me, it made the movie even more compelling and interesting by adding another dimension — literally — to the film's message. Suddenly, it wasn't just about society needing creative freedom and compromise, it was also about families needing creative freedom and compromise. It added another layer to the messages that were already there.

And honestly? There have been stories that stayed purely within a single invented universe, like LEGO Universe, LEGO Island, and The Adventures of Clutch Powers. I think this was stronger on an emotional level than any of those, and more sincere in its function as a movie about LEGO as a platform for creative expression, not just a fantasy adventure story painted in a veneer of tiny minifigures and plastic bricks.

I feel like there's sometimes a prevailing sense of shame among LEGO fans when we're reminded that we're passionate about a toy... like it has to be something more than a toy to be worth enjoying. As if "an elaborate system of interlocking plastic bricks" is more respectable than any toy could be. In my opinion, we should be filled with pride, if anything — because LEGO is a toy, and a damn good one.
    dannyrwwAdzbadboy
  • edited February 11
    Aanchir said:

I feel like there's sometimes a prevailing sense of shame among LEGO fans when we're reminded that we're passionate about a toy... like it has to be something more than a toy to be worth enjoying. As if "an elaborate system of interlocking plastic bricks" is more respectable than any toy could be. In my opinion, we should be filled with pride, if anything — because LEGO is a toy, and a damn good one.

Agreed, and according to Merriam Webster...

Toy noun \ˈtȯi\
    • Something a child plays with
    • Something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment
    • Something that is very small
    All three work for me.
    jasordannyrwwAdzbadboyFoxyA19
  • Sex, drugs and violence towards megabloks.
  • Smaller cast, more character development. And as I writer, I thnk they'll just have to ignore the whole 'coco the clown' it's just a kid pretending angle. You can only really do that once!
  • I don't see how they can even come with a logical story for a sequel. They ruined the whole story by connecting our world with Emmet's.

At least the gimmick in Toy Story is that the toys ALWAYS existed in our world but we just don't know that they move by themselves when we're not looking, so they were able to keep writing more stories and could still write more.

Emmet's world exists in the mind of some stupid kid and who cares what he dreams up next?

The Lego movie wrapped everything up with a messy ending, leaving nowhere to go from here.
    MathBuilder
  • I don't see how they can even come with a logical story for a sequel. They ruined the whole story by connecting our world with Emmet's.

At least the gimmick in Toy Story is that the toys ALWAYS existed in our world but we just don't know that they move by themselves when we're not looking, so they were able to keep writing more stories and could still write more.

Emmet's world exists in the mind of some stupid kid and who cares what he dreams up next?

The Lego movie wrapped everything up with a messy ending, leaving nowhere to go from here.

Emmet was given life and importance by that kid's imagination. Imagination inherently grants things importance. If you don't understand that then it's no wonder you completely missed the point of that big reveal.

Think of it this way — EVERY movie was actually dreamed up by someone. Does that mean we don't want to know what they come up with next? Of course not. After all, if it was a good story, then it says good things about the person telling it. The same is true of Finn's imagination in this story. He imagined a fantastic story, and he has years to come up with even more amazing stories as he continues to experience challenges in his own life. What might it mean for Emmet and his world if Finn starts to lose interest in LEGO, for instance? Will his sister and father be able to continue Emmet's story, or might there be something about Finn's own imaginative potential that they can't perfectly replace? After all, everyone's creative style is different, and the world will be fundamentally altered if one of its creators stops building.

And of course, there's always the quote from the award-winning The Sandman issue "A Midsummer Night's Dream" — "Things need not have happened to be true." A common theme in Neil Gaiman's stories is that imagining and believing things has a power to make them real, even if they aren't real in the same way that we are. Emmet, in the movie, had the power to think and even move independently even when he wasn't inside the world that Finn and the Man Upstairs had created — even though it was Finn who had given him a personality besides just a generic construction worker. There's something magical about that — the idea that the stories we create don't end just because we've stopped telling them.
    SabrejimmymargotlordzarakAdzbadboy
  • edited February 12
    A cancellation, so we don't get another 20 precious production set slots wasted on the awful and unappealing designs we've seen from this super-theme.
  • dougts said:

A cancellation, so we don't get another 20 precious production set slots wasted on the awful and unappealing designs we've seen from this super-theme.

I'd love to see more sets as brilliant and creative as the ones in this theme have been. I mean, a plumber's van or an ice cream truck on its own is something unprecedented in LEGO. One that is designed to be rebuilt into a hilarious flying machine is even better! Unikitty and Cloud Cuckoo Palace are also great designs with no real precedent in previous themes. And Metalbeard's steampunk design with a heaping helping of nautical imagery is delightful. These sets have a sense of heartfelt whimsy that you rarely see in LEGO sets these days.

Now I will admit, I do tend to love themes that are a little bit "out there" — some of my current favorite themes are Hero Factory and Ninjago. Even as a kid, I enjoyed themes like Aquazone, Time Cruisers, Rock Raiders, and Cyber Slam that were not grounded in anything real or familiar, even if I also enjoyed themes like Wild West, Adventurers, and Exploriens that had fairly obvious historical or pop-culture roots.

The LEGO Movie sets are a lot different from Ninjago and similar themes, though. The ridiculousness of Ninjago comes from taking already cool things (helicopters, motorcycles, tanks, muscle cars, mecha) and making them cooler. The LEGO Movie sets go a step further and completely re-imagine things into new things. A saloon becomes a biplane. A fire engine becomes a mech. A castle wall becomes a flying machine. So even with so many zany and imaginative themes taking place in invented worlds, I definitely think there's a place for more sets like the ones from The LEGO Movie which make even the zaniest themes seem formulaic and conventional by comparison.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a decidedly kid-oriented theme that still manages to offer us a brilliant Classic Space–inspired model.
    margottiminchicago
  • ^ I agree that there are definitely more places they could go in the next movie. I think it would be awesome if they brought in Friends and had them build a giant pastel mech to fight something and have it be a set. Would be a great twist to the "girly" genre that Friends are. Kind of like Snow White in Shrek 3. Loved that part of the movie where she goes from the original movie singing voice to the angry screaming of Zeppelin.
  • edited February 12
    dougts said:

Disagree. I need more sets to come out that I'm not tempted to buy. Bring it on mixels!

As for the sequel, let's make some history and see some Marvel figs alongside the DC ones.

• Will Emmet go back to being a construction worker? I could see maybe a Matrix type of thing where now that he can build what he wants he'll dress like a bad ass and go on an adventure with Wildstyle.
  • ^ Only if they give him a long black trench coat and sunglasses!
  • I would like to see a lot more different minifigures. I thought the scene with the master builders was kind of light. (Maybe because there were only supposed to be a small number of master builders?) Not including the movie CMFs, the CMFs they used throughout the movie all seemed to be from the same series.

I would also like to see more sets that are actually integral to the story. Star Wars couldn't really be told without X-wings, tie fighters, the Millenium Falcon, the Death Star, etc. etc. The flying garbage truck wasn't integral to the Lego Movie story at all, neither was the pod racer castle, just to name a few.(Where's Batman's Batwing thing that he had when he first showed up? I'd buy that.)

I would like to see a WAY BETTER VILLAIN than a guy in a business suit with cliche' robot minions.

That's just a few of the things I would like to see in the next Lego Movie. (For now :} )

What do I NOT want to see in the next Lego Movie? LIVE ACTORS!!!!
  • Will Emmet go back to being a construction worker? I could see maybe a Matrix type of thing where now that he can build what he wants he'll dress like a bad ass and go on an adventure with Wildstyle.

I think being a construction worker probably suits him, as building is in his nature, even in his new identity as a hero. I believe the writers/directors gave him the role of a construction worker specifically because of its significance within a world based on a construction toy. And even after blossoming as a Master Builder, his new and original creation (a giant mech) is construction-themed, though that could partly be because of the parts at his disposal.

But being a construction worker could very well mean something incredibly different now that not every building has to be built strictly according to the Octan Corporation's instructions. Perhaps he will lead a charge to rebuild Cloud Cuckoo Land.

In any case, whatever his "profession", I have no doubt another movie will place him in an equally adventurous situation to this one. Let's not forget, The Man Upstairs was convinced that Emmet being a generic construction worker prevented him from being the hero of Finn's story. Finn and Emmet proved that you can be both.
  • Let's not forget that Emmet did actually move, on his own, in the real world. Perhaps that wall could get broken further in the sequel.

I actually wish they didn't include his little hop off the table, because that crossed a line of imagination that I think would have been better left as a mystery (i.e. is this really all in Dad/Finn's imagination, or is it more). Clearly it's more.
  • I'm starting to think that Aanchir liked this movie. ;)
  • Aanchir said:

Finn and Emmet proved that you can be both.

In the same way that Harry Stamper / Bruce Willis proved that it is possible for a deep sea oil drilling crew to drill an 800 foot hole on an asteroid and then use a nuclear bomb to split it in half.
  • More ideas:

1)Lego Joker

2)For the first time ever (I think) Marvel and DC characters in the same movie!

3)A mainstream character from movies or comics that Lego hasn't made yet and that figure physically existing.

4)For some reason I keep picturing a band of the classic forestmen.

5)Mr. Gold. NOT! But I'm surprised he wasn't in this movie.
  • Didn't realize Lone Tensor already mentioned Marvel/DC idea. :(

How about: Emmet fights the Wolfman?!

Gnomes!! Gimli and gnomes! Gimli, Legolas and gnomes!

The kid goes too far and mixes Megablox into Will Ferrell's Lego city!
    Thanos75
  • edited February 13

Let's not forget that Emmet did actually move, on his own, in the real world. Perhaps that wall could get broken further in the sequel.

I actually wish they didn't include his little hop off the table, because that crossed a line of imagination that I think would have been better left as a mystery (i.e. is this really all in Dad/Finn's imagination, or is it more). Clearly it's more.

I totally agree. I'm surprised more people don't mention this. Yes, on the surface everything that was happening to Emmet was inspired by the Father/son dynamic in the "real world", but Emmet most definitely moved on his own and hopped off of the table. It was made pretty clear that his movement wasn't just more of the imagination of Finn, because Will Ferrell noticed it too. Also, Emmet was internally speaking to himself the entire time he appeared with the live actors. Even when Finn wasn't paying attention to him while playing with Benny's spaceship.

There are more to Lego than meets the eye! haha
  • I agree with @chuxtoybox ....We could see them getting a "clone" brand and once added to the city the knock-off pieces start spreading like a virus. Instead of fighting a generic enemy like robots they could fight the zombie like figures from the other sets...after all you can destroy all the zombies you want.
    TheLoneTensor
  • I was actually really happy that Emmet moved off of the table and was still "alive".

• edited February 13
    O.K.

The movie opens with a flashback leading up to the point where Emmet is about to jump into oblivion. The clock ticks down. Emmet jumps. Wildstyle screams NOOO! in slow motion. Emmet falls seemingly endlessly...

Suddenly there's a flash of light and a sonic boom! Lego Marty Mcfly and Lego Doc Brown appear in the futuristic Lego Delorean (all of which exist) and catch Emmet!

Doc Brown: Gee that was close!

Marty: Yeah! Trust me kid, you don't want to know what's out there!

Doc: At least not until the third sequel!

They bring Emmet back to the moment before he's going to jump.

Doc: Emmet, in order for a sequel to make sense, you'll have to think of another way to defeat Lord Business! Though I admit I have know idea what that is. Well, good luck!

Marty and Doc fly out the window and disappear in a flash of light with a sonic boom, leaving Emmet with his mouth open.

Movie proceeds from there. Somewhere in the movie, Metalbeard, seeking revenge, confronts Lord Business and they battle, spouting dialogue reminiscent of any action movie where the second string hero seeks revenge and confronts the villain. He loses, but dies spectacularly! (Seemingly)

Yadda yadda yadda... Emmett finds out he's special, Lord Business is defeated but escapes to fight another day, vowing to return.

Fade to black.

Then the new story enfolds....
    margotMorkMan
  • I enjoyed this film, and was happy with almost all of it really. I felt that the pacing was a little off, as it seemed to race through some scenes and then drag others out on occasion, but for the most part I thought it was excellent.

However I would agree with others who have suggested that Emmet's leap off the table was not necessary as it closes off an element which would have created a more interesting and in depth movie. I would have liked to consider how much of that was 'really' in the LEGO universe, and how much was Finn's imagination? As the story unfolded it became clear that it was all Finn's imagination but for this tiny element.

In a future LEGO Movie I would like to see the gang from this film head out into the real world. I know this may sound a little too close to Toy Story 2, although I do not see how the LEGO world could be threatened more than it was in this one by the Kragle. In every successful sequel that I can recall, the stakes have to get higher, and the only way to do this in my opinion would be to go into the real world on some quest or other rather than simply rerunning events similar to that of this film.
    MorkMan
  • Obviously, some future sequel has to involve Finn entering his Dark Ages.
  • ^^ Didn't they already make that movie and called it The Smurfs?
  • @Yellowcastle - I would not know as I have not seen The Smurfs, but if that is the case then WB would naturally need to steer clear of that.

Still, I would like to see a bit more real world interaction as I am not sure where one could go from here within the LEGO world.
  • I won't comment on what I'd like to see more of in the next movie. I enjoyed the movie but don't think it's the pinnacle of animation. It's good but can be much better! :)

Instead, what I'd like to see less of:
    - Action/Chase/Battle scenes. Simply too many of these padding out the movie and too many similar in feel. Toy Story is a great yardstick for animation with heart and it doesn't reply on battles galore to tell a story. :)

- AFOL references. The nod to the AFOL community is great, but the movie overdoes it a little. That's my opinion of course.

- Swiping from Grant Morrison. The whole meeting of worlds (human vs cartoon) was done by the brilliant Grant Morrison in Animal Man. If you haven't read the series yet, go grab the trade paperback. More info here: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/animal-man-by-grant-morrison/
  • They could go the Tron route with Finn...
  • Honestly, I hope for NO human characters at all in the sequel. Hopefully, it'll turn out that all the events in the first movie were a dream/vision Emmet has. This time he has to prove his worth to the master builders without them having any knowledge of him being the "special". And if it goes this route, Vitruvius will be back alive in his regular form again. haha
    chuxtoybox
  • They could go the Tron route with Finn...

Finn = Flynn!! lol

TheLoneTensor
  • swind15 said:

Honestly, I hope for NO human characters at all in the sequel. Hopefully, it'll turn out that all the events in the first movie were a dream/vision Emmet has. This time he has to prove his worth to the master builders without them having any knowledge of him being the "special". And if it goes this route, Vitruvius will be back alive in his regular form again. haha

If you're going to completely undo everything that happened in the first movie, why not just tell a completely new story with completely new characters? Real question here. I know sometimes entire movies have been completely wiped from continuity in past franchises, but those are usually sequels that aren't perceived as living up to the original (Superman 3 and 4, and a lot of the Highlander sequels). If you're going to wipe the first and only film of a franchise from continuity, then you might as well create a whole new continuity from the ground up instead of trying to present your new film as a "sequel" to a film you're intent on ignoring completely.
  • The studio gets the rights to Marvel characters and Emmet meets Star Lord.
    TheLoneTensorAdzbadboy
  • I think it'd be cool if Lego had some sort of 'imagination sets' (think dump random pieces and colors from a PAB wall along with a handful of parts from the minifigure station) that were released prior to the next movie. These sets could include both existing pieces along with new ones. Lego could promote the idea of 'share your MOC' with the world (here I'm thinking of the way that the Master Builder Series let you post your own creations online) with the idea that some of them could be used in the movie itself.

A solid black box with no instructions included - just big a big Lego logo in the center.
  • I think it'd be cool if Lego had some sort of 'imagination sets' (think dump random pieces and colors from a PAB wall along with a handful of parts from the minifigure station) that were released prior to the next movie. These sets could include both existing pieces along with new ones. Lego could promote the idea of 'share your MOC' with the world (here I'm thinking of the way that the Master Builder Series let you post your own creations online) with the idea that some of them could be used in the movie itself.

A solid black box with no instructions included - just big a big Lego logo in the center.

I have a feeling that sort of thing would be about as popular among AFOLs as this set... which is to say, not very.

That set gets a lot more abuse than it deserves, in my opinion. The main pictured model (the plane) isn't supposed to be good, it's supposed to highlight the variety of parts and colors the set offers. In truth, the set had a nice parts selection (including lots of colorful hinges and turntables, which are parts you don't tend to get in a basic "bricks & more" set). Then again, this set's parts also had some of the worst color consistency I've ever experienced in any LEGO product — far worse than I've encountered in modern sets or even the CMFs. Not entirely sure if there was any reason for that, other than maybe that it was released right when TLG was making so many changes to their production structure (like mixing granulate and dye during production instead of using pre-colored granulate).

In any event, that's a cool concept, but I think it'd be a bit more effective to encourage kids to buy their own sets from existing product ranges so they can pick sets that appeal to them than to release a "generic", themeless set like that.
    charlatan13
  • The Lego villains must take over! And Marvel has to at least allow Wolverine to appear. He can compete with Batman in a dissing match all through the movie.
  • Seeing the image of the artwork for the Lego Hobbit video game gave me an idea! A real movie being reshot in Lego! The Lord of the Rings trilogy in Lego to start with. And not with a choppy stop- motionesque look but the way the video games are done.

Of course Star Wars would have been my first choice but Disney owns that now.

Waitaminute! Lego Harry Potter! And that's 7 movies and an excuse to re-release the Potter sets.
    Adzbadboy
  • @Aanchir - I have to admit that the image on the front of that set made me laugh when I clicked on it. I thought of someone sliding that box over to me and saying 'don't let that modular frustrate you so much - why don't you try this set instead - it's more your speed.'

I was just thinking of the variety of worlds that were either shown or referenced (the world map) in the movie and then thought 'Wow - what if Lego just dumped a variety of old and new stock into boxes and just sold them as a build-up to the movie?' I just liked the creativity message in the movie and I can't wait to see how they build upon it for the next one.
  • I wanna see Doc Brown and Marty McFly to make a dramatic entrance with the DeLorean; interrupting the scene then they discuss its the wrong time period and go back to 2015 :D

With your Imagination anything is possible, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!
  • May 26, 2017.
  • "Source?"

;o)
  • edited February 22
    Here. Though of course, as we get closer to that date it may be subject to change. That's just the target date.

At least we know they're not going to rush a sequel to theaters! Three years should be plenty of time to put together a quality movie considering that they've already done a lot of the visual and creative groundwork for the first movie (namely, establishing a universe and its characters, and coming up with a visual language to tie things together).
  • Interesting that they are targeting May which is typically the month when every weekend has another blockbuster released. The stronger competition might leave the sequel with a lower box office even if it ends up being a better movie.
  • SPACESHIP!!!!!