New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Exclusive Minifigure for The Hobbit Video Game

edited April 1 in Collecting
Gamestop is now showing the new exclusive minifig for the upcoming Lego The Hobbit Video game.

Bilbo Baggins

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/lego-the-hobbit/112898#bonusFeatures
andherichoCCCJohnnyfinlandiaGurooomargotMasterBeefyBrickDancerBJ21TheBigLegoskilegomattdmg111

Comments

• So what will he be called - Bilbo in dressing gown / bathrobe?

It's a shame they still haven't managed to print on the small legs. The coat is meant to be longer.
  • Yes, If ever a fig needed leg printing it was this one. That's meant to be a dressing gown. It's daft just stopping at the waist, like that. Damn it, they did it for Bart Simpson.

(They could at least have added a patterned cloth 'skirt')

Quibbles aside, a must have fig for me, though not sure how i'll obtain it.
  • edited February 11
    ^ I'm hoping Game or Amazon UK will have it; the past couple releases haven't been a problem for exclusive figs so far (ie Iron Patriot and The Lego Movie)!
  • edited February 11
    Yes some printing on this legs would have been nice, however his torso, arms included have a nice print, and I believe his face is also a new print. All in all nice minifig, I think.

ps.
    It is actually quite a pity that they never do printing on the kiddie/dwarf legs, because the hobbits especially would have looked even more hobbitty if they had dipped the feet in fleshy skin colour paint, or found a way to do a two dye colour mold infection for those minifig legs, and printed toes on the front of the feet.

pps.
    I hope The Hobbit game will have evolved to a higher standard with new, different, and improved gameplay. I own two Lego games from Tt games: Batman 2, and Lord of the Rings. LOTR has improved gameplay, other and better menu features and options that make the gameplay more enjoyable compared to Batman2, however it was still far from flawless. The gameplay of Batman2 is quite disastrous, much worse than LOTR. It is/was really frustrating, when your characters (in both games) keep plummeting to their demise, due to the weird camera angles which you cannot always adjust, and inaccurate manoeuvrability, when you need to make the characters jump around onto tiny platforms, wires, ridges etc. After a while in my opinion the gameplay was too repetitive, especially in the Batman game.

Where as in LOTR the almost complete absence of orcs and other evil creatures (and/or vehicles/horses etc. your characters can do something with) is a pity in the large world (beyond the missions themselves) in which you can freely roam about, the never ending amount of little villain helpers that constantly attack you when you are just walking around through Gotham's streets is just a nuisance that offers no challenge. On the positive side in Gotham city, you can ride bicycles, zoo animals, and regular city Lego cars, which brick by brick fall apart when you get attacked, or crash into stuff. Having said that, the gameplay/controls for driving and flying vehicles is dreadful in Batman2. And despite all the Lego cuteness, it was not enough for me to keep me playing the Batman2 game once I had played all of the missions, so I never unlocked all the characters and vehicles in Batman2. I did so much more exploring in LOTR then I did in gotham city. In LOTR I ended up unlocking all characters, and almost all of the special weapons, props, and utensils, playing the puzzle missions several times. Even though I found the large majority of all secret items, I was really disappointed I never managed to obtain those special gloves, with which all characters could swing like Legolas (tarzan style) around from tree to tree etc. Also picking certain characters was laborious, and switching between them, was sometimes really annoying especially with the quick switch, with which you often ended up with with the wrong ones instead of the ones you preselected etc.

I hope it is safe to assume that The Hobbit will be both better than the LOTR game, which itself at the time was an improvement onto the preceding Batman2, as well as better then the latest Tt games release: the Marvel Lego game (which I have not bought and/or played).
    Jawascrumpcanon03
  • Hmm how reliable is GameStop online and in stores with preorder bonuses? I've never ordered online and used to the in store bonuses they only got a few and it was first come first serve...are they better now? Nice to see its included even with the 29.99 3DS version so I may grab that. I normally only play these on PC anyways.
  • Oooh no! Not 'mold infection', the horror!

I meant of course to type mould injection. Ooh well I am sure I have and will continue to adorn this forum with more misspelling and what not...
    Yellowcastle
  • I've done online pre-order for ship to home for all of the LEGO games with bonuses so far and haven't had any problems getting them.
  • I was sure it was going to be another Bilbo. Wished it was something different, but still looks nice, great arm printing.
  • With regard the actual videogames, the LotR game did have lots of nice ideas, and I like to squeeze every bit of juice out of mine, so I did unlock everything i could and collect every item etc. But yes, had its flaws too.

My biggest disappointment was no major Gondor level (apart from osgiliath ruins, which was a bit disappointing as it wasn't a combat level as such, and the pelenor fields was one of those uncontrolled rollercoaster rides). It feels like the siege doesn't happen.

And yes, free-roam really needed horses, wargs, carts, oliphaunts, eagles, and various other jokey riding/vehicles.

Looking back, i do wonder whether they ran out of time to implement these feattures, and released it possibly unfinished. It feels like you should be able to explore the White City... but you cant. It feels like you should be able to explore the gate or that castle in mordor, but you can't.

I still enjoyed it of course. But it did feel missing something, as i found no real reason to collect all the items and unlock character beyond my own desire for 100%. The object collecting actually overshadowed the story (which felt completed in a flash).

• ps.
    It is actually quite a pity that they never do printing on the kiddie/dwarf legs, because the hobbits especially would have looked even more hobbitty if they had dipped the feet in fleshy skin colour paint, or found a way to do a two dye colour mold infection for those minifig legs, and printed toes on the front of the feet.

With The Simpsons minifig parts, we know that is now a possibility.

• I hope it is safe to assume that The Hobbit will be both better than the LOTR game, which itself at the time was an improvement onto the preceding Batman2, as well as better then the latest Tt games release: the Marvel Lego game (which I have not bought and/or played).

And in a years time there'll be a "Complete Trilogy" type game made of both and some extra added nearly pointless features!

But seriously, (technologically and as far as individual gameplay ideas are concerned) the leaps made from the original Lego Star Wars I to LotR have been amazing, and as long as it's well balanced, I can only imagine the Hobbit will be better still.
  • Come on, the original Lego Star Wars game is the best! :o)
    graphite
  • ^hey, I'm not going to dispute that. :-)
    I factor age as a sort of handicap into my ranking of video games. That's why Lego Star Wars (2005) is better in my mind than Lego Harry Potter (2010), even though HP had more features, better graphics, etc.
  • Come on, the original Lego Star Wars game is the best! :o)

I agree with this. There are definitely some game play improvements but overall it was the best so far. Second for me is the Super Heroes one. The different abilities and the variety of characters makes it a blast. Plus just being able to freely drive and wreck cars and such in the city area is great.

I never made it past Bree on the LOTR one. Loved the books, loved the movies, loved the sets but just found the game boring.
    rancorbait
  • I felt the same way. I wonder if it's because they used the actual movie dialogue, which I already know all too well. My mind was kinda on autopilot in that one, waiting to get to the next exciting thing which I already knew was coming.
  • ^ The voicing was definitely part of it. Part of what I liked about the Star Wars game was that it didn't have that. It made it more humorous to me that the sound effects etc were more prominent.
  • It did indeed make it humorous!

Obi Wan: *waves hand* "these aren't the droids you're looking for" Lego game translation Obi Wan: *wanes hand* "mhrr hmmr mhrr" :oP

They never say anything, but you still know exactly what they mean :o)
  • What, no pre-order for the PC version?
  • looks like they are calling him the "Good Morning Bilbo Baggins" figure
  • edited February 15
    devilhead said:

What, no pre-order for the PC version?

Exactly. I own none of the consoles for this game. There are a lot of PC gamers. I really only use my PC and Gameboy Advance SP for gaming, even though I also own a PS2, DSi, and Wii. I've never bought a new console since my DSi. In fact, my PS2 was a pre-owned console I bought last year. Plus, the PC version is cheaper.

• cody6268 said:

devilhead said:

What, no pre-order for the PC version?

Exactly. I own none of the consoles for this game. There are a lot of PC gamers. I really only use my PC and Gameboy Advance SP for gaming, even though I also own a PS2, DSi, and Wii. I've never bought a new console since my DSi. In fact, my PS2 was a pre-owned console I bought last year. Plus, the PC version is cheaper.

Yep exactly...I think I am just going to buy the 3DS version since its the price of the PC version...then either ebay it or return it if they will let me, or maybe just do an exchange if they dont care and get a steam card to get the pc version.
  • edited February 20

^ I'm hoping Game or Amazon UK will have it; the past couple releases haven't been a problem for exclusive figs so far (ie Iron Patriot and The Lego Movie)!

I got iron patriot from amazon.co.uk, so im sure they will do it!
  • I pre ordered it from Game yesterday. Will only get the fig if you preorder with them i was told when i asked.
  • Not sure if this is new news, but can be preordered at Amazon.de as special edition incl. figure, available from 11 April onwards.
  • edited April 1

I pre ordered it from Game yesterday. Will only get the fig if you preorder with them i was told when i asked.

That's what gamestop says for all of their pre-orders, but yet many have been screwed out of the figure for other pre-orders and I doubt this one will be any different as I think some stores either give them to buddies, keep them themselves or give them out to anyone that asks (and just as likely if their corp actually provided as many as were pre-ordered to their stores)

If you have spent your money then all Ill say is you better get their very early to try to ensure you get one otherwise you may be wasting your time.

This is where being in Europe has its perks. Most if these giveaways come via Amazon and you do not have to worry about a half@#$ store that cannot figure out that if 10 people preorder the game at X store that the store should receive 10 to give to those people only. I have yet to see Gamestop do this.
    teal93mr2
  • I pre ordered it from Game yesterday. Will only get the fig if you preorder with them i was told when i asked.

That's what gamestop says for all of their pre-orders, but yet many have been screwed out of the figure for other pre-orders and I doubt this one will be any different as I think some stores either give them to buddies, keep them themselves or give them out to anyone that asks (and just as likely if their corp actually provided as many as were pre-ordered to their stores)

If you have spent your money then all Ill say is you better get their very early to try to ensure you get one otherwise you may be wasting your time.

This is where being in Europe has its perks. Most if these giveaways come via Amazon and you do not have to worry about a half@#$ store that cannot figure out that if 10 people preorder the game at X store that the store should receive 10 to give to those people only. I have yet to see Gamestop do this.
    Yeah I actually ordered this from Gamestop online...the first time Ive ever ordered from the website. My order does show the figure in there so I am hoping I will get it b/c I know getting one from the store was pretty limited. I actually got it a bit cheaper with some coupon codes I found so hopefully itll work out.
  • I ordered the LOTR game online to make sure I got the figure. I made the mistake of preordering at a local store for the Lego Movie and did not get a figure and promptly refused the game an demanded my preorder back. The last couple of years for any game that had a physical preorder bonus, GS corporate will not send a store enough to fill all the preorders for the store. If you do preorder from a store, make sure to get there before they open the day of release.

I've had all of the preorder bonus ones from Game in the UK and they always have the poly packaged in a box with the game so this sort of thing can't happen. It's weird that they don't take the same approach in the US.
  • The Marvel game with Iron Patriot was packaged in the box with the game. But GameStop doesn't take that same approach.

I tried getting a figure at a local GS and they said they didn't have enough to cover the pre-orders, so even just buying the game wouldn't have given me one. Not sure why you would offer a bonus, but then not have enough on hand to give out to the people that bought the game.

I don't even want the game, I just want the figure, but I don't want to buy the game and turn around and try selling it online. Seems like too much of a hassle.
  • I got mine from GameStop, but once again had to ask for it, even though it was sitting in the drawer RIGHT NEXT TO MY GAME.
  • game all the way for me , figure in sealed box none of this game stop shenanigans
  • edited April 12
    I got one! Woohoo! :oD

Gotta say its even lovelier in person than the piccy shows.

I'm not totally convinced by the face artwork, but it seems to continue the current trend at TLG fig-design for strangely shaped 'beak'-like mouths and (what i call) the 'more is less' approach, so I would have preferred a more convincing/simpler expression of worry/contentment, (expressions i believe they're aiming for).

However, personal preferences for simpler mouths/faces aside, the torso is gorgeous. Those little flecks of pattern on the arms/body of the gown, which you can see on the image above, are not a flat tan/brown colour but are actually rendered in a shiney copper/gold.

Lovely!
  • Ooooh Yeah! OOoooh yeah!
    WooooooooHoooooo!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk
    I've got the exclusive Hobbit game minifig! If Hugh Hefner only knew how cool Bilbo's gown looks.....
    Too bad his face printing is exactly the same as that of the Bilbo version that came with #79003 : An Unexpected Gathering.
    The burgundy red pants I think are unique.
    ps.
    The game is fun too. (got the Xbox360 version)
    legomatt
  • Too bad his face printing is exactly the same as that of the Bilbo version that came with An Unexpected Gathering.
    The burgundy red pants I think are unique.

So... nice legs, shame about the face?
    ;o)

TheBigLegoskiscrumperMommaLa
  • Oi!
    I only meant to comment on the colour of a Lego element!

Now I am inclined to picture that comment in a way in which it might get uttered in a pub reeking of stale lager, where one lad says to another something like that about a bird they are checking followed by some lame response where the other drunken geezer mentions a flag. Or some other scenario with a similar gist.
    Thanks for that weird innuendo!

This has awkwardness written all over it now.
  • edited April 13
    I believe he has a sister... but she's taken... or was it Took. Something like that. Great Big... tracts of land. :oP