New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Forum timeouts?

Is anyone experiencing problems connecting to the forum?

DrDaveWatford is seeing message like

Service Unavailable
The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

but personally I haven't.

Comments

• Been good here!
  • edited February 12
    ^ I very rarely, but occasionally, have seen that message (or something similar) whilst composing a post (I assume it just a failed 'automatic save' of the draft), but I just ignore it (on the rare occasion i see it), as it doesn't appear to have any noticeable effect on my forum activities.

I'm not logged out, or anything (that i've noticed). I'm probably describing something different. I'm having no problems accessing the forum.

• No problems at all on the forum. I also want to mention I love the new Brickset main site! The new fonts are very pleasing.
  • All working fine for me, has been all day on desktop and mobile.

I was a little worried this thread was a proposal for treating bad behaviour on the forum, the brickset equivalent of making my child sit on the stairs for 10 minutes.
    MatthewSirKevbagsYellowcastle
  • I've had it twice today. But a refresh loads the page again almost instantly.
  • To be frank, I find Brickset to be one of the slowest, least reliable web sites I visit on a regular basis. I get that message several times a week, and have for some time.

I've always chocked it up to Brickset being on a budget and being on a cheap web host more than anything else. It is never on my end, my connection is very high speed and very low latency with very fast speeds to just about everything, Brickset is the outlier.

Below are the traceroute and ping results, so it clearly isn't an Internet problem, in terms of hops, it is right next door with a 3ms ping time, but the pages are slow to load and sometimes don't load at all.

-------------------

Tracing route to brickset.com [162.159.248.213]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms L100.DLLSTX-VFTTP-65.verizon-gni.net [173.74.57.1]
    3 7 ms 3 ms 3 ms G0-14-1-2.DLLSTX-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.219.22]
    4 2 ms 5 ms 2 ms so-4-1-0-0.DFW9-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.151.244]
    5 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 0.xe-3-0-3.BR2.DFW13.ALTER.NET [152.63.100.69]
    6 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 204.255.168.158
    7 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms ae9.cr1.dfw1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.63.168]
    8 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms as13335.xe-1-3-1.cr1.dfw1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.63.182]
    9 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 162.159.248.213

Pinging brickset.com [162.159.248.213] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 162.159.248.213: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 162.159.248.213:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 3ms
  • edited February 12
    ^ Are you referring to Brickset or the Brickset Forum, @LegoFanTexas ?

Since Brickset moved to its new host I've had no problems with the main site; it's the Forum I'm having problems with - as described by @Huw I've been experiencing time-outs for a few weeks now, and transitions between pages are also slow.
  • Ahh, mostly the forum, I don't go to the main site all that often... I haven't been actually since it was updated...

In the past, searching for sets on the main site wasn't all that fast either, but I suppose the main page loaded well enough. My bookmark is directly to the forum, so 98% of my visits are directly to the forum.
  • This is the traceroute to Bricksetforum.com

Tracing route to brickset.vanillaforums.com [66.216.109.251]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms L100.DLLSTX-VFTTP-65.verizon-gni.net [173.74.57.1]
    3 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms G0-14-1-2.DLLSTX-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.219.22]
    4 8 ms 3 ms 9 ms ae4-0.DFW9-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.81.199.6]
    5 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 0.ae3.XL4.DFW7.ALTER.NET [152.63.3.233]
    6 4 ms 7 ms 7 ms TenGigE0-5-1-0.GW4.DFW13.ALTER.NET [152.63.101.62]
    7 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms teliasonera-gw.customer.alter.net [63.65.123.46]
    8 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms rackspace-ic-302090-dls-bb1.c.telia.net [62.115.33.78]
    9 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 98.129.84.180
    10 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms core5.dfw1.rackspace.net [74.205.108.11]
    11 9 ms 6 ms 6 ms aggr305a-28-core5.dfw1.rackspace.net [67.192.56.155]
    12 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 66.216.109.251

And the Ping results:

Pinging brickset.vanillaforums.com [66.216.109.251] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 66.216.109.251: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=55
    Reply from 66.216.109.251: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 66.216.109.251:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 5ms

Again, not really an Internet problem, I think the server it is hosted on has the issue, but I can't really know that without looking at it. :)

-----------

Are you considering moving to another forum software? If so, I would be all in favor of that, this software feels very outdated compared to other forums.

Have you considered this:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/portal.php

That is one of my personal favorites, but there are probably even better choices somewhere. :)
  • ^ We tested quite a few options almost 3 years ago to the day. I was hesitant at first about vanilla but have since grown to appreciate its uniqueness compared to other fan sites. I agree that the page load can be a bit annoying but I spent way too many years with 28.8 and then mobile EDGE so you won't hear me complain about an extra second to load. It gives me more time to contemplate my responses on Little Timmy and the Case of the Money Left on the Table. ;o)

If anything, I would like @Huw to host the Forum, giving us more ability to customize and cater to the interests and preferences of this community.
  • ^ Sadly, I have not the expertise...
  • edited February 13
    ^

:oO

But. But. But. But... you're all wizards!

Surely the recent server-episode was your 'Balrog' moment, you should be levelled up to 'White' status now. :oP
    BumblepantsAleyditaYellowcastleMatthew
  • I didn't want to create a new thread, so I hope it's okay to bump this one. I may be going crazy, but over the last day or so, the forum keeps acting as if I never logged in. Then if I hit the back button, or click the link from brickset.com, it remembers who I am. This has happened intermittently and on multiple platforms (IE at work, Firefox at home, and Safari on my iPad). Anyone else notice this?
  • Others have reported this although I haven't. It's probably a transient thing.
  • lordzarak said:

I didn't want to create a new thread, so I hope it's okay to bump this one. I may be going crazy, but over the last day or so, the forum keeps acting as if I never logged in. Then if I hit the back button, or click the link from brickset.com, it remembers who I am. This has happened intermittently and on multiple platforms (IE at work, Firefox at home, and Safari on my iPad). Anyone else notice this?

Yes, lots of issues yesterday! Even messages saying there is too much traffic, try later,
  • Yeah, happened to me a bunch of times and the occasional 503 error trying to save a comment
  • ^ Likewise. A few timeouts also.
  • margot said:

...there is too much traffic, try later

If only workplaces would issue the same advise during the morning rush hour. :oP
    plasmodium
  • I'm having trouble staying logged in and occasionally get a Vanilla Forums error that states they are over capacity. Just throwing it out there in case it gets to be an issue! :)
  • I'm having trouble staying logged in and occasionally get a Vanilla Forums error that states they are over capacity. Just throwing it out there in case it gets to be an issue! :)

I'm getting these too, every couple of days. I had it about 5 times yesterday and had to log in every time. Today seems ok.
  • Anyone else keep getting signed out and service unavailable?
  • I got signed out once, between visits (without turning off computer) a few days ago. I didn't encounter any problems, and just signed back in, but it did surprise me.
  • ^^ Yes and "bad gateway 502" errors three times in the past hour or so.
  • Yep happening again.
  • Not a timeout as such but why do I keep getting signed out every time I go to click on my own profile page? Then I can't sign in at all via the "sign in" button on the profile page as I keep getting error 503's, and even when the request does goe through it still says I'm not logged in! (p.s. this is only happening every time I try to view my own profile page, I do not get signed out when I click on anything else).

It's very frustrating as I want to change my profile picture. Is anyone else having the same or similar problem when they view their own profile page?
  • Yeah, real bad today. Just clicking between pages It thinks that I am logged out. I can normally refresh the page and I will be logged in again. This has not worked every time and I have had to actually type Username and Password a couple of times.
  • ^ Same here. 503 for me too when I try to post.
  • Real bad today.
  • I'm getting this a lot today as well.
  • edited April 16
    Still an issue this morning @5:15 AM.
  • I'm finding that going from my private messages back to the forum is almost always signing me out.
  • I keep getting logged out.
  • I'm having trouble today. Getting signed out. Bad gateways. etc.
  • Same: logging out erratically. And for some reason my net security blocks my attempt to sign in using the button on the right, but allows me to use the "sign in" link at the top.
  • Getting logged out as well as getting some server errors every now and then.
  • I have a ton of froums issues, like signing out when i post / Edit comments... i hope this one gets through!
  • I have had to log in about 7 times this morning, every time I change the page. It either logs me out or I am getting error messages pop up.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am on an iPad while this is happening.
  • This is getting ridiculous, I had to sign in three times to log in, but I know I will have to do it again soon... :-(
  • Yep intermittent '503 service unavailable', random sign outs, and/or connection lost when sending pm's and so on. Gremlins.
  • I am also having trouble and it is frustrating.

What I am finding however, if I ignore the request to log back in and click 'Discussions' at the top instead, it might take an attempt or two, but I find it will log me back in automatically ie. it hasn't forgotten who I am, it just needs a gentle nudge.

Have just done it again so I know it works. :o)
  • It would be interesting to know if anyone is not having these issues?

It's very irritating but unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it other than wait for Vanilla to sort it out.
  • edited April 17
    ^ I wonder if any webmasters with serious connection issues ever ran such a poll:

Can you log in?

Yes.
    No.

(Must log in to vote).

:oD
    Repeat.

(Problems started again at 10:24 for me with a 502 bad gateway.)
    Going to give up now for a bit and come back later.
  • I'm getting it on my iPhone a lot :(
  • Latest from the support forum:

"Hi all, I want to give a little more background to explain the delay. Part of the solution resolution is moving select clients between clusters, which will mean downtime for them. Because of this, we gave those clients advanced notice and scheduled their move for today. As much as the intermittent errors are causing all of us grief, we didn't feel that justified an abrupt, unscheduled total downtime for other valued clients. We are truly sorry for the trouble these interruptions have caused your communities.

"For the past year, we've spent tremendous resources researching and developing a new, vastly improved architecture for our cloud systems that we have already started deploying for select clients. That will directly improve our ability to react to a problem like this is a much faster way with far less disruption to other communities. Which is to say: we take this very seriously and are directing a lot of resources at it. We truly value that you have entrusted your communities to our service and are working hard to make the best of this difficult week."
  • Has been fine today. I thought they'd fixed something. :o)
  • It does seem better, doesn't it.
  • I have had no problems today either, yesterday was really the worse day I have had with it. I don't mind the odd log in again, it's the half a dozen times you have to keep doing it that gets me.

I understand it's something that needs to be fixed, and it is going to be causing disruptions. If there are any other problems we will post them here.

Fingers crossed it's now fixed or close to fixed :-)