New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

scams on ebay, its the summer of madness

2»

Comments

• Hello everyone,

I'd like to quickly introduce myself on here and will post on a few other forums here to notify you of my contact information for fraud related Lego sales. My name is Thor Magnussen and I now work for Lego; I'm here to help combat the fraudulent sales on sites like ebay, ecrater and this site as well.

If any of you have information related to fraudulent sellers please contact me via email at Thor.Magnussen@lego.com

Thank you,

Thor Magnussen
  • @Thor860: Welcome to Brickset! I'm glad you've come on here and given us your contact info. There have been so many horror stories on here (of drop shipping in the US in particular) that I'm sure you'll be kept busy (unfortunately).
  • Thank you so much for posting here, this is indeed a problem, I was bit about a month ago on this issue, still out $180 and it caused me 4 canceled orders from shop.lego.com

That issue is now cleared up and I can order again, I returned the stolen sets to Lego and provided all the information on the fraud to your rep who asked for it.

I will say that it was nice to get a phone call follow up from your company regarding this issue and that you did work with me on it. The lady who helped me seemed to really want to help me get my name cleared, she just needed complete information on the eBay auctions, PayPal transactions, etc. but I was happy to provide it.

Hopefully you are able to get some of these criminals put into prison!
  • What is so maddening is these criminals set you up for the crime. The credit card company contacts Lego and they look up who it was sent to, and now you have to show that you were not the one who placed the order using a stolen credit card.
  • Surely if Lego used Verified by Visa, this wouldn't be a problem?
    Great that we have a contact for it anyway, its good to know that Lego do care about it.
  • edited January 2012
    There was another similar scam listed on 19 Jan on eBay.com US site, Lego Death Star 10188 for 249.99. Pulled by eBay within 18 hours, but 58 were purchased.

Be sure you read up on this and the eBay forum about this topic if you were duped. There are many "Do's and Dont's" from other victims experiences with Paypal resolution.

http://community.ebay.co.uk/topic/Buyer-Central/Lego-Scam-Advice/18000415399
  • I think at this point eBay fraud, while serious, is only part of the problem going on.

The other problem we all are seeing more of is that there are those that buy LEGO sets from retailers, open the boxes carefully, empty the boxes, replace with parts from another set (or something else that sounds like LEGO) and resealing the boxes expertly (You really cannot tell they were opened) and returning them back to the store, only for the store not to notice, and restock it only to find a victim when the set is sold again.

What is LEGO prepared to do for things like this? As it seems to be happening at most major retailers and it seems like you are rolling the dice when it comes to buying a set in a retail stores (or even LEGO stores).
  • The tape on Lego boxes isn't really a security feature, is it?

Different box design?
  • ^ Back to the design with the flap and the window - so you can see the contents.

• ^ :O I want that set so bad! haha I've been watching it listed and sold on ebay for probably over a year now, and never manage to win! I want it mainly for the merchant ship... need it to complete my pirate ship collection :(

You're lucky to have one in such nice condition!
  • I have been told by my friend who lives in HK that they have lots of fake Lego that looks real. That's probably what they're selling. Copies.
  • It's very sad, but when any retail item starts to get a big following and command good prices, you will always get people looking to exploit it, either with copies, retail scams etc.
    In the first instance, I do think Lego needs to look at box design to see if they can counter this. Who knows, anybody who keeps MISB box sets might have a load of rubbish in one of those boxes if it was bought from a retail site that has fallen victim to one of these scams.

@sidersdd, your suggestion is a good one. I also have a Time Cruisers set with that style box. I love it. Also allows a collector to look at the lego and keep the box sealed. Talk about having your cake and eating it!
  • edited January 2012
    ^^---- There is a difference between selling counterfeits and defrauding a credit card company by using Drop shipping from LEGO with stolen CC information, which is mostly what is happening on eBay.

@siderdd: You hit it right on the head.
    That would stop this resealing garbage in its tracks, but the question is how expensive is that packaging as opposed to LEGO having to eat returns costs (as I am guessing that Retails stores return them to LEGO as 'Defects'). I would say it would benefit LEGO to do this to ensure that their is faith in their product, otherwise it just looks sloppy as, while we have this community to watch and alert us to such things, I'm guessing the typical person who buys LEGO is just going to think that LEGO's production line is horribly managed to 'allow' this to occur, instead of knowing that it is some scum that decided to steal and then cause problems for someone else.
  • I had two experiences with open sets recently.

One was at a K-Mart, where the number bags didn't match up. The peices were placed back in the bags and carefully taped shut. Fortunately, all the peices were there, and it assembled fine.

The second was a SW advent calendar I tried to buy at Targét Boutique. I was at the resister, paid, and noticed broken tape. We opened it then and there, and all of the minifigs had been taken out of the cups.

Dishonest people... Gotta love them.
  • edited January 2012
    Just came across a new scam while searching ebay yesterday, actually the seller's listings were closed as I was browsing. Anyways, this seller appeared to be selling expensive and rare MISB sets like the forestmen crossing for prices that are high, but not unreasonable for a good condition sealed set.

All the sets were listed with 5 or more copies (huge red flag when talking these sets), in the header it had an all capital FREE SHIPPING notice, and the seller used one stock image of the box and nothing else (now if you've held on to a box for 20-25 years, you're probably proud enough of it to show it off properly when selling it).

Anyways, the seller seems to be booted, but beware as these scammers seem to be tenacious as all heck. I'd be extra careful getting these "too good to be true" sets now.
  • I really wish they would get rid of the seals on the boxes. My son goes shopping with me and he can usually tell if one has been tampered with. However, I know that their are people that are good at resealing them as I have read on this board. I wish they would all just come in boxes with no seals.
  • I don't mind the fact that they use seals, but they fail on premise. If someone can manipulate a seal to open the box, and then re-seal it without it looking obvious, then the seal design is very poor and it's time to look at something new.
  • well @sidersdd hit it right on the head, a plastic window into the box should resolve a lot of the issues going on now
  • I was given a product list of Lego products to sale and to list it under my account. At this point in time I am suppose to send the money to the supplier and the supplier will ship the Lego product. My concern is if it is a scam or not. I don't want to scam any person at all and also ruin my rating on the site. I'm trying to research and find out any details of any scams where the scammer will use another person's account to sale Lego products.
  • surfnduck said:

I was given a product list of Lego products to sale and to list it under my account. At this point in time I am suppose to send the money to the supplier and the supplier will ship the Lego product. My concern is if it is a scam or not. I don't want to scam any person at all and also ruin my rating on the site. I'm trying to research and find out any details of any scams where the scammer will use another person's account to sale Lego products.

Almost certainly a scam, and a common one at that.

I suppose you send them the money and then they ship the item ? Yeah - right........

• surfnduck said:

I was given a product list of Lego products to sale and to list it under my account. At this point in time I am suppose to send the money to the supplier and the supplier will ship the Lego product. My concern is if it is a scam or not. I don't want to scam any person at all and also ruin my rating on the site. I'm trying to research and find out any details of any scams where the scammer will use another person's account to sale Lego products.

Don't even consider it any further, it is almost certainly a scam.

• Especially if you were just emailed/contacted randomly asking to sell for some one, then this is 99.999% a scam.
  • Ebay #200848115220 is an old listing but a scam. This same exact listing with the same photo was used earlier in the summer, the buyer of this listing left negative feedback and the seller was unregistered. I don't know how or why ebay lets these scammers come back.
  • Didn't even think to keep an eye out for broken tape and the like. Which is strange, since I always used to check with that for action figure sets and so on where you couldn't see all of the contents. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open with the LEGO stuff I'm buying too!