New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Winter Catalogue - What's the best buy?

edited September 2011 in Shopping Elsewhere
Hi,

With the winter catalogue now landing on our doorstops, I thought I would start a discussion on what people perceive as the best currently available set. (based on value, design, originality etc)

Having looked through the catalogue in some detail, for me, its still the Medieval Market Village 10193, despite the fact its been out for a few years. The price point in the UK of £71.99 (and with the VIP points) makes this a brilliant buy, especially against the licensed themes. The variety of pieces, bricks and minifigs is also fantastic. Given the huge moc potential, I might actually purchase another copy whilst they are still available!

What do you feel is currently the best value for money buy taking in to consideration the quality of the set, and why?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    @Richo - the question you ask is mostly just a personal decision based on ones own criteria. IMO, it is really not that different from "I have $20, what should I buy?" and we have historically discouraged those kinds of threads.
  • arr ok fair point. I suppose I was just making the point that the MMV looks surprisingly good value against just about every other large set, which in its own way is unusual, but also rather good if you like the castle theme like I do.
  • Not trying to threadjack, but kind of along the same lines, we're in the last third of the calendar year. Given the sales of the summer, clearance items, etc., is anyone yet making plans for their holiday purchases? Not knowing what exaclty will come out between now and the end of the year, or who will have which set discounted on Black Friday, I find it hard to make any definitive plans. I too am always on the look out for the most brick-bang for my buck.

That said, I first saw Pharaoh's Quest at Thanksgiving last year, so maybe some 2012 sets will get out early? Buy early? Wait? What to do, what to do?
  • I am on the fence on the Ninjago Fire Temple as the next purchase. Until a few weeks back, I didn't really like the line, but I think this set has changed it all for me as I think the main building has a lot of potential. It's also currently £67.99 on Amazon, which is a very attractive price here in the UK.
  • edited September 2011
    @richo

Great minds think alike ;o)

I wasn't impressed with ninjago either, but just bough the Nya ninjago spinner while it was on sale for 3.80, just for the minifigure - really nice legs & torso print with dual sided face. An excellent addition to the CMF oriental range.

Now i find myself looking at the Temple in a different light. Keep thinking, how can i best display the oriental themed characters... would really like a temple/pagoda/something... but can't quite push myself to spend that much on a backdrop.

• DavidBrickley-
    Right about now is the time I'd also think about slowing down on my LEGO purchases. Once the summer sets hit the shelves the winter and previous year sets have been clearanced. Now that it appears the clearance finds have been found I guess I'll wait until the 2012 sets arrive. This will most likely be accompanied with a new wave of clearance so to buy anything now would be risky because a better buy can be around the corner.

Great point about BF. Which $100 set will be at $50 this year?

As for the Winter Catalog question, I haven't received mine yet. I think any of the modular buildings are great buys as they have excellent price per part ratios, offer hours of building fun, look amazing and you will more than likely learn several new building techniques as you complete these sets.