New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO and Pop Culture / Celebrities

Comments

• I'm not a fan of him but I did like the speedway build behind him. Looks awesome! Now if only they could have included racecars that resemble the real racecars.
  • Jjfan
    March 23 Flag
    I'm not a fan of him but I did like the speedway build behind him. Looks awesome! Now if only they could have included racecars that resemble the real racecars.
    How much would they have had to pay for the rights to make them look like the real cars?

My excitement is mixed with the new LDC coming to KC. I was much more excited to find out about the LEGO Store at Oak Park Mall.
  • Just a thought, with TLG doing so much partnering with companies for licensing... The Racers series could use a shot in the arm with NASCAR featured sets, drivers, and maybe, say the Brickyard?
  • Does NASCAR still have a partnership with one of the lesser brick companies? I know I've seen NASCAR branded bricks at k-mart... but I'm not sure how long that other competitors contract might last.

Keslowski has moved up my list of interesting drivers in the last month, seeing this story and his Tweeting during the Daytona crash with 40 laps to go.

If Lego did partner up, think of all the unique semi-trucks and trailers (I've been in them, NASCAR trailers are not just an empty shell)... and the colors needed to meet all the different car paint jobs :)
  • I'm not sure about the NASCAR partnership with the "other brick" companies. But if the are done with their partnership and NASCAR doesn't want to get back into the building toy market, I don't see why LEGO doesn't do a line of its own.

I know they have had racer lines before (i.e. World Racers), but I think if they were to redo them into a line that is similar to NASCAR it might be successful. They could have similar current racecar models, the haulers, and even sponsors that are LEGO type. Maybe even a generic oval track with separate sets to make the grandstands and infield garages. The drivers could just have the different faces (2-sided just incase they get mad) and maybe even a media team.
  • I'm not sure about the NASCAR partnership with the "other brick" companies. But if the are done with their partnership and NASCAR doesn't want to get back into the building toy market, I don't see why LEGO doesn't do a line of its own.

I know they have had racer lines before (i.e. World Racers), but I think if they were to redo them into a line that is similar to NASCAR it might be successful. They could have similar current racecar models, the haulers, and even sponsors that are LEGO type. Maybe even a generic oval track with separate sets to make the grandstands and infield garages. The drivers could just have the different faces (2-sided just incase they get mad) and maybe even a media team.
    ^This could be epic, Make a 1000 piece set to replicate Bristol
  • All the extra pieces included in the sets could be for the crashes. LOL!
  • edited March 2012
    Simon Pegg was on a late night talk show here in the states last night asking people to support The Wincehster - Shaun of the Dead on Lego Cuusoo.

Hopefully the support of a main actor from the movie will help get the project in to a review by Lego.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7451
  • Cool, I love Pegg & Frost. I wonder if they know the CMF alien looks like Paul?

I'd love to see a moc of the siege in the supermarket from Hot fuzz as well as the Shaun of the dead one.
  • What was the show? Be interested to try find a clip online. I wonder if he was aware of cuusoo or whether someone told him about the specific project? Nice find.
  • edited March 2012
    Conan O'Brien show. There's a link to the clip on the Cuusoo site.
  • Supported. Love Shaun of the Dead and would totally buy that set.
  • Found it had been frontpaged on eurobricks as well. It's right at the end of the interview, and I'll ignore that Conan says 'legos' for the sake of cross-Atlantic harmony.
    youtube.com/watch?v=yAiqBTlks8I&
  • Noooo... the video is not available in Canada.
  • edited March 2012
    I've got used to seeing it written "Legos", but hearing it spoken was a first for me!
  • ^makes me feel a little uncomfortable! ;)
  • It's certainly having an effect, the votes are shooting up, could be the next one...?
  • edited March 2012
    I love Shaun of the Dead, one of my favorite movies in the last 10 years, and supported this on cuusoo quite a while back, but didn't really expect it would ever be made.
    Do people think it could be made/released? I know the film is billed as "a romantic comedy, with zombies", but in reality it is pretty horror based. Not sure that TLG would be comfortable with releasing this (although they have already released CMF Zombie so....).

Either way, I'm so up for a minifig Shaun taking the car, going to Mum's, Killing Phil, grabbing Liz, and going to the Winchester to have a nice cold pint, and waiting for all of this to blow over.
  • edited March 2012
    Well they've said themselves it's right on the limit of their core values and pretty much the only reason they would consider it is due to the comedic theme.

"Congratulations on all of the supporters! Your model is very well done, and you've presented the project in a fun and engaging way all around.

Since Shaun of the Dead is a comedy, and you present your work in a humorous fashion, we believe this is within the realm of the LEGO company brand standards on violence. Note that the zombie theme does put this project at the edge of what we produce, however we recognize that the LEGO Group produces other products where themese of violence and death play a significant role.

Please understand that this initial green light does not have an effect on the LEGO Review that will take place if the project reaches 10,000 supporters. The nature of the work would require some significant internal discussion before we make the decision to produce such a set.

In the mean time, we wish you the best of luck on your journey to 10,000 supporters!"

I think it would be the subject of much discussion within TLG but my gut feel is they would do produce something, albeit with all the edges (understandably) taken off.

I hope it gets there, but it could just as easily tail off over the next few days and get stuck a la western town.
  • The official TLG comment (when it hit 500 votes) was "Since Shaun of the Dead is a comedy, and you present your work in a humorous fashion, we believe this is within the realm of the LEGO company brand standards on violence. Note that the zombie theme does put this project at the edge of what we produce, however we recognize that the LEGO Group produces other products where themese of violence and death play a significant role."

This comment was only on the 5th of March, since then its had over 5000 votes... (? is this right?!). Could be another case of a cult following beating the AFOL's at their own game :D
  • Presumably Simon Pegg will be waiving any royalties and fees if the set is made.
  • ^ any particular reason you say this?
  • ^^ so it was, I missed that, it has indeed has 5,000 votes since the 5th March, over 1,000 since I last looked late last night.
  • ^^ And check out the "EVE Online Ships - Rifter". The project was only started on March 5th this year and its already at almost 4000 votes - with over 100,000 views. Compared to the Western Modular with 6000 votes and 116,000 views since October!

• ^^ And check out the "EVE Online Ships - Rifter". The project was only started on March 5th this year and its already at almost 4000 votes - with over 100,000 views. Compared to the Western Modular with 6000 votes and 116,000 views since October!

It really makes you wonder if the majority of Cuusoo output will end up being licensed sets. Mojang pushing Minecraft, Pegg plugging the Winchester on a talk show, the massive EVE community. It'd be a shame to see the likes of the Western modulars fall behind because there isn't the same cult following of people (who aren't necessarily AFOLs) to garner support from.

That being said, I wouldn't begrudge the Winchester getting the green light, it is a fantastic project.
  • ^ any particular reason you say this?
    If it is licensed then how much will the license add to the cost of the set? Is he plugging it for extra money? Will other actors / producers follow and start plugging lego ideas on TV.
  • ^ I have to say I think that is....lets say harsh.
    I think it extremely unlikely any cut of a Lego set based on the movie will make a difference to Simon Pegg.
    If it was Johnny Depp saying that he thought the PoTC sets were cool, would you also assume he is saying it to make 'extra money'?

I think having a well known actor talk about our niche hobby can only be a good thing and can't believe for a second it was done to make him 'extra money'.
  • CCCCCC
    edited April 2012
    I think having a well known actor talk about our niche hobby can only be a good thing and can't believe for a second it was done to make him 'extra money'.
    Don't get me wrong, it is great that he wants it made. But if he really wants it made, then waiving any royalties would be better, since it would mean Lego could sell it at a cheaper price.

And as above ^^, if cuusoo just becomes licensed sets getting large numbers of votes due to TV publicity, with producers / actors / etc plugging their own films via marketing of lego, then it is no longer a community site. I thought cuusoo was meant to be for lego fans voting, not just anyone that saw something on TV. What is the point of putting a non-licensed theme on there, if only licensed themes will get the right number of votes through TV plugs.
  • ^ Agree with the idea, but I bet that is a lot more complicated than it sounds, i.e. we have no idea how many people the royalties would go to and whether they would all be happy to, and in reality, why should they? It's their creation, why should they not benefit from the toys made from it?
    Also, there is no way of telling whether any royalties waived would equal a cheaper price from TLG.
  • edited March 2012
    It's (relatively) well known that Simon Pegg is actually quite a massive geek, albeit one that has done very well for himself! Spaced demonstrated he's quite a big toy geek and whilst I've never seen Lego featured in things he's done I bet he's got some Star Wars Lego knocking around (original trilogy, of course!)

The sad thing is that ultimately this sort of Cuusoo release would be the nichest of the niche Lego sets - given the size is comparable to the current modulars, how many fans are REALLY going to pay £150 for a Lego model of a building?

Wikipedia tells me that the pub is in New Cross (SE London) but was converted into flats several years ago. I was lucky enough to be there when they filmed the 'Queen' scene though - beating the landlord with snooker cues and throwing darts - here's a pic I took that day...
  • Awesome awesome awesome! Fingers crossed! Maybe they'll make it the to fit with the modulars? And then add the specific figs :)
  • And as above ^^, if cuusoo just becomes licensed sets getting large numbers of votes due to TV publicity, with producers / actors / etc plugging their own films via marketing of lego, then it is no longer a community site. I thought cuusoo was meant to be for lego fans voting
    Yeah, if Cuusoo gets completely co-opted by the fanbases of various IPs, then it's a failure in my mind. Though I suppose LEGO would perhaps not view it that way - do they want to sell sets to current LEGO purchasers like us, or to sell sets to people who perhaps haven't or wouldn't otherwise buy LEGO sets, and perhaps some of these new purchasers will go on to buy other sets as well? I suppose that's good for LEGO - new consumers.

But yeah, not so great for us LEGO AFOLs unfortunately, unless we happen to like the IPs that get fan-swarmed into production.

• It would be interesting to have a VIP-only version of Cuusoo. Perhaps even a (reasonably small) purchase history requirement as well. This would likely result in us existing LEGO enthusiasts being able to indicated more directly what kind of sets we want and will buy. The down shot for LEGO is what I mentioed above - we are existing customers, not new ones. The upshot is of course that we have proven over and over again that we will buy their products, and keep coming back for more - especially if they produce sets that we say ahead of time we really really want. Heck, I'll bet many of us would even put a deposit pre-payment down on some ideas, along with our vote.
  • As long as the various sets derived from IP's are high enough quality, I don't mind at all. That is certainly the case of this Shaun of the Dead MOC, which stands great on it's own as a modular. It's like with high quality Harry Potter and Star Wars sets, they are well worth buying even if you don't particularly care for the IP.

I do however agree that the Cuusoo model has not yet reached it's full potential, there are too many AFOLs and TFOLs that aren't voting, but when we have a ten thousand strong force that can be mobilized around a single product, we will have a power to create official Lego products that's unprecedented.

I don't know if Lego is limiting the amount of votes of a household to one, but if not, encourage your moderately Lego interested wife, girlfriend, teenage kid, friend, cousin or brother to register on Cuusoo and give their votes. I think they should at least have some interest in Lego as that is only fair to TLG who are assuming that those 10'000 votes comes from fans that are at least somewhat likely to purchase the product they voted for.
  • It's going nuts over there, crazy. I would really love to see BTTF sets. Great idea
  • Yeah, the jump in support for the "Shaun of the Dead" project is mind-blowing. It jumped passed every top project in a day or two. I'm hoping for the Back to the Future project, love that franchise...
  • Just need to get Michael J Fox on Conan to plug it and we'd have ourselves some BTTF sets!
  • ^The BTTF delorean is already at over 5,000 votes with TLG investigating the feasibility of it (seems to be standard practice for those project with over 5,000 - they've said the same about the modular western).

I said this before, but I would say that cuusoo is doing EXACTLY what it intended. I think we need to remember that AFOLs make up a small percentage of Lego sales, and with cuusoo TLG is looking to expand it's market and get MORE people buying lego (whether that's a model of their favourite computer game, film, submarine or whatever) not just create models for the exisiting AFOL market, that will probably buy the new sets anyway.
  • ^ agree 100% with that.

Another 1,000 votes overnight, it would seem this has every chance of hitting the mark in the next week or so, if not sooner.
  • Seems like TLG have been a bit slow on their usual 5,000 vote response. Interesting to read that their one from 500 votes reads "The nature of the work would require some significant internal discussion before we make the decision to produce such a set".
    Guess they'd have to weigh up the cost of such a big set against potential sales to, realistically, a small AFOL market.
  • I agree that CUUSOO is providing TLG with more exposure to potential fans that would not otherwise consider purchasing Lego sets. I could see the use of twitter posts and tv plugs generating votes from people who are not as likely to actually purchase the set when they find out that it costs $150. On the other hand the new customer may love the building and expand their post apocalyptic street with other modulars sets and get some super heroes to save the day.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't know if Lego is limiting the amount of votes of a household to one
    No they are not. There is no IP block. I have voted for the same project a dozen times before getting bored of creating accounts.
  • @andhe,

but that is no different to the Western modular buildings on Cuusoo that would be very AFOL focused. I don't mind this doing well on Cuusoo. It's great exposure for lego and lots of free advertising that would otherwise cost millions.

Also, although it's a really well done model, I was getting a little fed up with the three line whip that was imposed by the lego community on voting for the Western set. It was really getting pushed hard from all quarters, so its rather amusing that this concept model has flown past it in votes!

rich
  • Celebrity endorsement, it's why companies will pay millions for it, TLG got it for free, I would imagine they are pretty pleased right now.
  • I guess there are some follow up questions ..

Will it be bad publicity if Lego decides not to make it?
    Will it be bad publicity when people vote for it and find out Lego is expensive?

The answer to both is probably that it doesn't matter. If they don't make it, then people that weren't interested in Lego are still not interested in Lego. If it is too expensive, same deal, those people weren't going to buy Lego anyway.

But with social media going hysterical these days, will there be twitter and facebook campaigns against Lego for not making it or making it too expensive?
  • Given that Lego already have similar ish sets in terms of both piece count and style with the Modular range as well as levels above and below that, then price shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Remember, what is ultimately released isn't necessarily what is in the project. I'm sure that as part of the design process different price points and levels of detail/size would be considered to either maximise TLGs profit or their potential loss depending on how they are expecting a set to perform.
  • Shaun minifig + zombie + a very small facade of the pub would probably do most of the movie fans (but not Lego fans). It could be a set like Freeing Dobby from HP. Cheap to buy, very little needing to be built.
  • This thing may hit 10,000 this weekend, it's at 9,100+...Amazing...
  • Only 375 votes to go, looks like we're gonna find out what TLG really think about this project soon. How exciting...