New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Fire Brigade 10197 missing parts

edited October 2011 in Collecting
I just received the Fire Brigade 10197 2 days ago and I believe I may be missing an entire bag of parts. Has anyone ever heard of this, I have a lot of sets and can't remember having a missing part let alone an entire bag. I know they electronically weigh every box so this seems odd. All the parts are from the first floor or the fire truck, I've already completed the second floor and roof with no issues. I've already filled out the missing parts form on lego.com (luckily I bought it from lego.com so hopefully it'll be easily fixed), but with this many missing parts it's very difficult to figure out exactly what I'm missing since I can't move on. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this or have any tips.

Comments

• If you're near a Lego store, I'd box the whole thing back up, take it to them and ask for another one.

I would imagine that in such a case, they would be very happy to exchange that for a new one.
  • I'm right there with you. I have already sent the first set back and received the new one just yesterday. This time before I let my son open any of the bags we counted them, we counted the number we got in the first set too, and looked for some of the parts we were missing from the first set - and it seems as though we're still missing an entire bag - the same pieces. Parts of the truck and the trunk of the tree as well as the yellow columns for the posts out front. I too have no idea how many parts are missing from a 2,231 piece set. The must have a whole production run that is missing that bag. This time I may reach out to the store near me and see if they have the set and open it there.
  • Really? Wow, poor form Lego. I'd try the store, and yes, open it there.
  • This is a worry, I just had a set imported with no intention of opening it anytime soon, I think I should check it now to see if there are missing bags. How many bags should there be?
  • LOL I've seen this post on the forum multiple times and figured it was a newbie question asking what to do when missing a piece, never realized you were missing a WHOLE BAG! That's insane, and scary...

But knowing LEGO and their customer service reputation I'm sure it won't be a problem, if it's as big as you say it is I'm sure they've dealt with it before and everything worked out so best of luck to you!

Funny cause I when I built this set I did it with my older bro (who's not and AFOL) and we were missing ONE piece, however I assumed it was him who lost it cause of their precise methods of ensuring the sets were complete, but now I think it may have been their fault also! I mean what could their margin of error be on such a large set? One piece would hardly set the scales off...
  • Guess I better open mine and check.....
  • I am missing what seems to be an entire bag as well. It is from batch 39R1 (you know this by looking at the tape that holds the box shut.) I bought the first one and when I found out I returned it to the store immediately they replaced and I had the sale problem as stated by others on this website. Check and see what batch yours came from it may be a manufacturer defect because both my sets came from the same batch
  • Wow that is crazy and now I am worried. I have 3 sets all 39RL batch number. What does a person do when 3 years down the line I sell this set and the new buyer says they are missing a whole bag?

I just picked one set up yesterday at the Lego store here and it is batch 39R1.

So I wonder how I go about trading them for a new batch, just take all 3 sets to Lego store and ask for a refund or wait until they may have a different batch number in stock.

It would be unacceptable if these sets sell for 400.00 a few years from now and the customer comes back on you for selling them a incomplete set.

Not good news.
  • edited October 2011
    Perhaps people can post the weight of their sets. This may be one way to detect whether you have a set missing a bag.
  • ^--- Good call. I think one bag missing should show a bit lighter, but you will need a scale can can show ounces.. not just a regular floor scale, because this will probably only make the box lighter by a few OZ, not pounds.... Glad LEGOs 'expert' quality control (didn't I read they outsourced that dept to Mexico?) is catching this as I am guessing you guysd are not the only ones reporting this to LEGO.
  • I bought this set and it had three 2x4 brown bricks missing. It had three 4x4 black plates instead. I had to get the bricks from Bricklink eventually.
  • Why not get the bricks from Lego? They'll send them to you free of charge.
  • I think that is a great idea, people who have opened boxes and know it is complete, could then weigh the whole set, box, manual everything and get a weight. That would sure help find any missing parts bags from an unopened box. Darwin
  • I just weighed ( using USPS 10 lb. scale ) a MISB that I bought from S@H on 11-27-10. 6 lb .08 oz batch # 05SO
    I bought 2 and built 1. The one I built wasn't missing any parts so I assume this one is complete. You can use this as a base line because you know what happens when you assume.
  • After seeing this thread, I went home and opened mine as it is for my son for Christmas. Batch # 38S0. It weighed 6lb. 2 3/8oz (2788gm) on kitchen scale (don't tell the wife). The scale is probably not as accurate as JP3804's.

As for the bags, I counted 19. Two bags had one additional smaller bag inside. One bag had two additional bags inside. It was this last bag that held a smaller bag containing yellow and brown 1x1 round bricks. I am assuming based on comments above that this is the missing bag from 39R1. The smaller insert bag also contains a gold hat and at least one axe. The outer bag contains a set of stairs and at least one arched door. Are you missing any of these pieces?

HTH.
  • Batch # 24S0 here. I have 19 bags in mine also. My weights was only 6lbs 1 3/8oz though according to my USPS scales.

Like KernelPanic, 2 of my bags had 1 smaller bag inside and one bad had 2 small bags inside. Guess I need to try and make time to build it and see if anything is missing....
  • ^ I don't believe mine has cardboard backing on the instuctions. .575 oz would be about the right weight difference if yours has it.
  • I have three sealed sets.
    One from batch #32R1, which weighs 6 lbs 4.0 oz.
    One from batch #15S1, which weighs 6 lbs 2.2 oz.
    One I just received from TRU.com. Batch #39R1. It weighs 6 lbs 3.1 oz.
  • i have 19 bags as well

batch reads 32R1

i dont have a scale to measure that precise though
  • This is horrible. I just bought two Fire Brigades in October 2011 and they are both batch 39R1. Plus I have one that I bought earlier in 2011 that is from another batch. My scale measures to tenths of pounds, I will weigh them and report back. It would be difficult to know if Lego changed anything else or substituted something that weighs differently. I might also call Lego to see if this lot is flagged for excessive complaints. Hopefully, this is not the final batch? Then what? What a hassle.
  • Yes it is quite a hassle and worry especially if you plan on not opening them. I picked one up yesterday, batch 39R1 from my Lego store locally. I have 2 more on the way from S@H , hopefully they won't both be that batch number.

So can I return S@H stuff back to my local Lego store for a refund, or do I have to ship it back to S@H?
  • Oh, Thanks to the people who have weighed their sets. Now I just have to get me an accurate enough scale to weigh mine. I see most everyone had a weight within 1oz basically. Did anyone weight the suspected missing bag to see what it might weigh, like the one that contained the yellow and brown 1x1pieces?

That would give us an idea on what kind of weight discrepancy we should be looking for.

Thanks again everyone for helping out with the weights!!
  • Has anyone actually called Lego Customer Service and asked them if this is a known issue with this batch?
  • I didn't call yet but I did email them about this, we'll see what they say.
  • So after filling out missing piece requests for as many pieces as I could find I decided to call customer service. they were very helpful and by using my multiple requests were able to find the bag I was missing and it's on its way. It's nice they are able to track individual bags within each set because who knows how long it would have taken me if I had to file a request every time I was missing something. Unfortunately the closest Lego store to me is 3 hours away or I would have just gone in and exchanged it. My set was also 39R1. I'll keep you posted when it gets here. They gave me a specific bag number when I called but don't remember it because I didn't think it was important but I'll see if I can find out
  • @flump6523 There's a good pic of all the bags in this Eurobricks Review, and I count 19 also. But can anyone who has a missing bag remember if it was one of the 19 bags or a separate bag inside the larger ones?

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31394
  • I just weighted my two boxes:
    40S1 - weight 2,740 kgs
    20S1 - weight 2,790 kgs

50 grams different??!?!?

I would never thought of weighing my boxes before seeing this post!
  • Just finished building mine yesterday and all bags were present. I did have one missing piece though, hardly seems worth mentioning in the face of entire bags being missing!
  • I just finished this over the weekend, so I can't weight that box. It was batch 44S0 so it was complete, tons of extra parts, more than usual.

I do have another one MSIB that I bought from Shop@Home two weeks ago, GREAT... THAT ONE is 39R1.

I don't have a scale accurate enough to weight it, but I might decide to sell it sooner rather than later, before Lego is unable to replace missing parts.

Grrr.....
    2011-10-31_09-58-17_194.jpg
    1750 x 2283 - 1M
  • Does anyone know the dates that batch 39R1 was being manufactured? Has anyone had confirmation from Lego CS that there is an issue with a specific batch number? I will call these week and post the info.......
  • I bought all of mine some time ago, the latest being eariler this year, I know I have one that is about 1-2 years old, and another that is newer.. Ill see if I can dig them out for a weigh in.
  • Looks like it is probably going away so there may not be any more batches beyond 39r1. TRU, Amazon are both OOS except for aftermarket sellers, and S&H limited to 5.
  • It should go away, since it has been out for 2 years and there are 2 newer modular sets for sale. My local Lego shop is out of stock and they tell me they do not expect any further shipments, but then that could change. The employee who told me has been there for awhile, she was there when Green Grocer went out, so I hope she'd know, but there is no telling, and she did admit that she has no special info, just her opinion based on what she sees. (hey, I like an honest answer)

The only issue is, were we all talking about Green Grocer like this when it was going out a year ago? If not, then this probably won't go up because everyone and their brother is holding 5 of them. If we were, then this might well be a $500 set this time next year.

Who knows...
  • Hi everyone - first timer here. I just wanted to let you know I've been through 2 sets (batch 39R1) and they both are missing a lot of pieces as well. I sorted the *entire* first set and was missing 101 pieces in total, such as the 2x Gold Fire Helmets, the 1x White Cymbal, 30x Dark Gray 1x2 Thin pieces, the axes, hammers, etc. I also had a lot of extra blue rods and other pieces that weren't in the listed inventory in the book. I took this back and got a second box, but I can already tell just by looking through the unopened bags that these pieces are missing as well (only 3x Silver helmets, no gold ones, etc).

I alerted my local Lego store and will see what they say about it.
  • LEGO seems to have seriously dropped the ball here. Now I gotta check my set (still unbuilt) to see what number it has. Are these always the same parts that are missing?
  • Maybe Lego caught on. I placed several orders last week and they all have shipped except 10197. It is list as in customer service.
  • Maybe the question should be here is, has anybody built a 39R1 set that DID have all the parts.
  • Hey guys! This is my first post in these forums. I just recently found out about the Modular sets and my first set was the Fire Brigade. Then I just happened to find these forums and this topic. Unfortunately, I just checked my FB set and it's marked 39R1. I wasn't planning on opening this until Christmas, but now I don't know what I should do. From the posts above, it seems like the Modular sets don't have numbered bags like the regular sets do? So even if I opened the box, I still wouldn't know if I had a complete set of bricks?
  • You would need to count the bags, from what everyone is saying, you should have 19 bags in the box.

I haven't counted them, so don't take my word for it however... :)
  • FYI - mine is #31S9 - unbuilt; counted 19 bags; 4 loose pieces; appears complete - gold helmets are bagged inside a larger bag.
  • Okay, I opened mine and counted 19 bags. Ten of them had a '1' and nine of them had a '2'. But, like CapsGreat8, I checked each bag and saw no signs of the Gold Helmets, axes, etc. I carefully looked at each bag, as well as looking closely at the smaller bags inside the bigger bags. So, having 19 bags doesn't necessarily mean you have all the pieces. I'll probably contact LEGO in the next couple days to see what's what.
  • Seems like the parts in the missing bags vary too, @Siobhan had parts of the truck and tree trunk missing, and @CapsGreat8 and @Rollo_Tomassi had the bag with the gold helmets missing.
    I've just re-counted my unopened bags and have 19 including the one with the gold helmets. Fingers crossed I have everything, I was planning on building it after Christmas.
  • Would someone with missing pieces be able to weigh their set please?
  • I have 19 bags in my box, but I assume that it is a "small parts" bag-inside-a-bag that was either replaced with the wrong small parts bag (keeping weight similar and giving a bunch of useless pieces) or the small parts bag is simply missing. Of the 101 pieces I was missing, they were all of the small variety.
  • It sounds like I was missing the same thing capsgreat8 was. I had 19 bags and am missing the gold helmets, lots of 1x2 grey tiles etc...my bag is on its way from Denmark so I'll keep you updated with what is included in the bag and what extras I have.
  • I can see the Ebay descriptions 2 years from now, "This is not one of the dreaded 39R1 sets that were missing parts" I think the aftermarket price of this batch of sets is going to be dramtically less than other batch numbers if this is a widespread problem.

We are getting quite a few people here in the forums who have problems, imagine the tens of thousands who do not report in here.
  • Just finished building mine yesterday and all bags were present. I did have one missing piece though, hardly seems worth mentioning in the face of entire bags being missing!
    Atkinsar, what batch was your set?
    I have 19 bags in my box, but I assume that it is a "small parts" bag-inside-a-bag that was either replaced with the wrong small parts bag (keeping weight similar and giving a bunch of useless pieces) or the small parts bag is simply missing. Of the 101 pieces I was missing, they were all of the small variety.
    CapsGreat8 or anyone else, can you list what parts and quantitites are missing from the "missing bag"? Is Lego going to send this over in a sealed plastic bag or loose?

Also, I noticed that Amazon just restocked the Fire Brigade with over 999 sets. Maybe they have a newer lot number. It might be worth a call over when I have time.

• edited November 2011
    ^^ I concur. Equally, I can not for the life of me understand how this problem comes to light at the end of the product's life!? This '39R1' batch has been around for a while.