We've introduced a new feature to display your country alongside your posts. Please edit your profile and fill in the 'Location' field. This will be particularly useful in the marketplace category. Thank you.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United States
    Anyone have thoughts on Lego 10231 concerning a discontinuation date for it and a plausible rate of price increase? I apologize if this has already been asked.
  • @samiam391 - 10231 was a replacement for 10213 Shuttle Adventure which was released in June of 2010. The replacement was released July 2011. Personally I think it has a bit more life left in it. It will probably last until Brick Friday so if you're looking for a deal then I would wait until then. But I don't know too much about this set or theme at all, so you may want to listen to someone with a bit more knowledge ;).
  • I think there is a lot of nostalgia for the now mothballed shuttle program so I can see them keeping it available for another year or two.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UK
    @samiam391 - Personally, I give it until no later than the end of this year...then it's gone. JMO.
  • ^^All the boxes I have gotten from either Amazon or TRU have been in excellent condition, except for the 3 Imperial Shuttles I got that have horrible shelf wear. I contemplated buying more Death Stars but didn't know if they shipped the extra Lego box. I will definitely get some from them if they do another discount now that I know this. Thanks
  • edited March 2012
    Okay so buying lego on a budget im saving up for the death star. I have worked out its gonna take me 6 months. My question is do we think that it will be around for that long or should i save more?
  • dougtsdougts United States
    I think as long as you get it before Black Friday, you should be safe. But it's all just speculation. Keep an eye on these forums, if it goes away sooner, you'll hear about it...
  • When is black friday? Yeah im keeping my ear to the ground in the hope it stays till june. I have a horrible fear it will jump massivly when it does retire.
  • Not for long, now that this has been released

• @Si, I was very tempted to make a joke along those lines...
  • Ha ha @Si i thought some would make that joke
  • So is Lego.com the only place in the U.S. to get 10197 Fire Brigade at MSRP now (and even then it's backordered)?
  • Whats everyone's view on Lego Creator 5771 Hillside House in a year
  • edited March 2012
    Personally, I don't see that or the Appletree House doing super well. I'm sure it will rise in price, but nothing like it's forerunners. IMO, the quality of the newer Creator houses (with the exception of the lighthouse, which is unique and well done) has been on a downward trend.
  • I was thinking the same thing, way to many white bricks in 5771. Just not very appealing imo
  • edited March 2012
    Whether intentional or not, I think the newer houses have more appeal with the children than adults. They seem to be much more simplistic. I would like, as I'm sure many others, to see more done along the lines of 4954.
  • @sidersdd, looks like the same in Europe on 10197...only lego.com, and smaller retailer online, but not many
  • So is Lego.com the only place in the U.S. to get 10197 Fire Brigade at MSRP now (and even then it's backordered)?
    I was noticing the same thing. Yes, I think Lego.com, and the Lego stores are the only place to get FB for MSRP. TRU has been out for awhile, and also Target has been out for at least a week, and I doubt they will restock. Who knows how many more pallets Lego has left in their warehouse, but once those are gone.....
  • ^ yeah, I went to check Target this morning and saw they were out. I'm guessing the other retailers won't get stock and it'll just be LEGO.com and LEGO stores selling them until they are done. The question is how long that will be? How long to ensure the faulty packaging issue is covered?
  • When is black friday? Yeah im keeping my ear to the ground in the hope it stays till june. I have a horrible fear it will jump massivly when it does retire.
    It's the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday Eve, as I like to call it). I'd also check it out on May the 4th, as well. I'm not saying anything will happen with it, but that's the big Star Wars promotion day, and that's when they discounted the UCS Falcons.
  • edited March 2012
    How long do the Creator houses typically stay around for? When are Apple Tree, Hillside and Lighthouse expected to go EoS?
  • Apple Tree house could disappear at any time really, the other ones are safe at least until the holidays in my eyes. I remember the Family House was not around for as long as the Apple Tree house, but the Beach house was around for almost three years, so the same could apply to the AT house.
  • I apologize if this has been asked previously, but it would take quite sometime searching through this entire thread to find out. Anyway, I just found out that my Fire Brigade was from the 39R1 batch. I've already talked to LEGO customer service and they're sending me the replacement parts. I would like to sell this as MISB along with the replacement parts. Will this effect the aftermarket price of my set compared to one without the issue?
  • dougtsdougts United States
    ^ probably depends on the buyer and where you are selling it. Indicating that you already have the replacements and will include them in the sale certainly will help.
  • ^^ could try the "search" function as well . . . easier than "searching" through a thread . . .
  • I apologize if this has been asked previously, but it would take quite sometime searching through this entire thread to find out. Anyway, I just found out that my Fire Brigade was from the 39R1 batch. I've already talked to LEGO customer service and they're sending me the replacement parts. I would like to sell this as MISB along with the replacement parts. Will this effect the aftermarket price of my set compared to one without the issue?
    I feel like it will sell for a bit less, but not by a significantly huge amount. If anything, you're going to weed out a lot of people who'd be looking to buy these to resell later and limit your audience to people who are PROBABLY only interested in buying it to build.
  • Thank you for the replies. Too bad this wasn't the one I opened to build for myself! Anyway, at least I got the free ARF Trooper when I purchased it.
  • Can anyone see the mini-modulars on S@H? I can't find them anywhere?
    ^Same here... have these things been discontinued already? Anytime I google it and then click on the link it takes me straight to the home page. I'm signed in too as a LEGO member, so I don't know why it's not showing up anywhere.
    @LegobrandonCP... that link just takes me straight to the home page. Is my computer messing up or something? Have you tested the link yourself?

Right, I saw that thread and used the link you posted, still didn't work..
  • ^ Same here...it just brings me straight to the home page
  • @LegobrandonCP... that link just takes me straight to the home page. Is my computer messing up or something? Have you tested the link yourself?

Right, I saw that thread and used the link you posted, still didn't work..
    Worked fine for me. Could be something with your internet browser. Just do a Google search on 10230.
    ^I did that too, keeps taking me straight to the home page.

Apparently @stephenvw is having the same problem. Are you located in the US @LegobrandonCP?
  • I'm a VIP member and logged in but I still can't see it?
  • ^I did that too, keeps taking me straight to the home page.

Apparently @stephenvw is having the same problem. Are you located in the US @LegobrandonCP?
    I'm from Canada, but the link takes you to the US product page. I just Googled 'lego 10230' and it took me to the UK page and I just changed my region to Canada.
    @LegobrandonCP... I don't know why but even that is still not working for me. Maybe my computer is just messing up. Seems strange that @stephenvw would be having the exact same problem though... Either way, thanks for all the help @LegobrandonCP!

Is anyone else having this problem?
  • No problem. Glad to help. Maybe we should continue this discussion in the Mini Modular thread.
  • I think my next purchase will be FB before it's gone. I know I probably have time just don't wanna chance it.
  • I always find it interesting that people wait until the last minute to do things...

FB has been for sale since 2009... this is probably why it will jump in price, when it is $250, people will be saying, "well, better buy it now before it is $500". Then when it is $500, same thing for $1,000.

:)

Or, everyone posting here now, could just go buy one now, and not do that. :)
  • I always find it interesting that people wait until the last minute to do things...

FB has been for sale since 2009... this is probably why it will jump in price, when it is $250, people will be saying, "well, better buy it now before it is $500". Then when it is $500, same thing for $1,000.

Everyone waits for it to be on super special .. pick it up when its $10 cheaper, it never gets there, then gets discontinued, then bang, too late.

• You know, I do understand that, wanting to get a "deal".

Were I in the market to buy PS or TH right now, yes, a deal would be the thing to wait for...

Were I in the market to buy FB to build, I would no longer want a "deal", I'd be buying it from S@H and happy to get it for RRP.

The time to find a "deal" on that set has past, if anyone here wants to build that set, now is the time to buy it...

Well I only just got back into lego at christmas and only went out of the SW sets since february and I'm already a couple thousand in the hole with zero retired sets. You can flame all you want but im thinking I'm doing very well.
  • Well I only just got back into lego at christmas and only went out of the SW sets since february and I'm already a couple thousand in the hole with zero retired sets. You can flame all you want but im thinking I'm doing very well.
    It was not intended as a flame, rereading what I posted, I can see how you might have taken it that way.

I apologize.

I do understand how easy it is to get thousands of dollars spent in a very short amount of time.
  • for people who are recently back in to it, its a matter of prioritising.
    Theres a bunch of sets that i'd like to get (as a builder), many of them discontinued, i just have to prioritise the ones i want, completely aware of the fact that any i wait on will go up in price.

its part of the gamble :P
  • @LFT, I don't think it's really to do with people bargain hunting for $10 off a $150 set, I think it's more to do with having to prioritise and take calculated risks. Sure the FB has been out since 2009, but think of the AFOL who 'reawakened' in, say, late 2011. They immediately would have been faced with several purchase decisions regarding big sets that were about to disappear - the IF, the EN, and as well as the FB we're all expecting the likes of MMV and the Death Star to go sooner rather than later. To snap them all up immediately would demand close to $1k at RRP, which people just don't have.
  • ^This example of new AFOLs prioritizing is the reason why I wasn't able to grab any Emerald Nights before it was discontinued. At the time, when I came back in, I was grabbing up other sets like star wars, modulars and city. I got some Imperial Flagships, but completely overlooked the train which I am huge on. I also missed a couple others, like King's Castle, that I had the opportunity to grab, but I just didn't prioritize well enough.