New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

EXPIRED: [US] Walmart: clearance, 50% Off

Comments

• Well, a little voice at 2:30am was in my head telling me to head over to an out-of-the-way Walmart (about 15 miles away)...so I hopped in the car and ended up with:

5 Apple Tree House
    4 Slave 1
    5 Mill Village Raid
    2 Palpatine Shuttles
    3 Windu Fighters

Now I can sleep in peace :) This store for some reason has a lot of stock and nobody around that buys Lego...I left plenty of goodies behind, but I imagine when I come back in 2 weeks it will still be there. Will buy it then if the house doesn't get taken over with plastic bricks and cardboard boxes.
  • Same Clearance sale is available online as well?
  • @LegoFanTexas - WOW! You never fail to impress! Please post a photo of your haul - or whatever small part of it will fit in a photo! Would love to see the full list!

I just couldn't bring myself to buy it all like that - I simply don't have the storage space - that's the biggest issue. Also - wondering how you justify that time vs money aspect of this. EG: Will you sit on the Mace Windu Starfighters until retired for X number of months? Or will you try to make 25% profit on them now (after eBay/Paypal fees?) Just curious.

Again - congrats on the haul - I felt a big guilty for buying 9 Mace Windu's, but alas, you put me to shame! :)
    -Dan
  • I wish I lived in the US sometimes....
  • So were these marked as clearance or did everyone have to scan them?

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and they didn't have any toys in the clearance aisles. I checked the Lego aisle but didn't notice any clearance stickers. I scanned the polybags and a POTC set which both rang at full price, so I figured there was nothing to do. May have to go check a different one today.
  • Nothing was marked in my Walmart. I had to scan everything.
  • I felt a big guilty for buying 9 Mace Windu's, but alas, you put me to shame! :)
    -Dan
    While waving his hands in Jedi mind trick fashion, Yellowcastle can be seen talking to @brickupdate... "8 Mace Windu's will be just fine, mail to Yellowcastle you will." :o)

• I hit two more Walmarts on the way to work today. They had been pretty well picked over, but I picked up two Palpatine's Shuttle, a few SW Advents, and three PQ Pyramids for 50%. None of the sets was marked clearance and the PQ sets all had price stickers on them showing full price. There were a bunch of Freeco Speeders and Plo Koon Starfighters left, but I passed on all those.

Interestingly, one of the stores had a Space Police Galactic Enforcer, which was retired last year, for full price.
  • @LegoFanTexas - I have several credit cards but only carry one usually.

I wasnt expecting to see the Walmart deals today, so between spending $150 at the LEGO store and $370 at one Walmart, my CC company (Chase) decided I had bought enough and did not need the $350 in LEGO from the second Walmart. Fortunately I had cash on me.

Chase called me about an hour later to verify the transactions.

Also, I assume you and others hace a tax exempt card for your purchases... any issues using that? My cashier at the first store said she couldn't take it for clearance... until I asked for a manager...

Brent
  • So were these marked as clearance or did everyone have to scan them?

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and they didn't have any toys in the clearance aisles. I checked the Lego aisle but didn't notice any clearance stickers. I scanned the polybags and a POTC set which both rang at full price, so I figured there was nothing to do. May have to go check a different one today.
    For me, at one Walmart they were in the toy aisle and marked. At another Walmart, they were in the Clearance section and not marked.

Brent

• ^Yes, I had to check each item. Noting marked. But worth the time at the price checker!
  • Thanks everyone. Off to Wal-Mart now!
  • edited December 2011
    Also, I assume you and others hace a tax exempt card for your purchases... any issues using that? My cashier at the first store said she couldn't take it for clearance... until I asked for a manager...

Brent
    I have the tax exempt card for walmart and never had a problem.. that would be funny to make the cashier try and explain exactly why being on clearance should have any bearing on whether it is tax exempt or not.
  • Tax exempt card? How is this aquired? I spent far too much at Walmart tax free would have been great
  • @Yellowcastle :)
    Feeling under the weather today, preventing me from venturing out to uncharted Wal-Marts. Oh well - enjoy everyone!
  • Well, to buy tax exempt, you must be reselling, and you have to collect the tax when you sell and file regular reports with the state you live in.

You cannot buy tax free for yourself. You would get away with it for awhile, but the risk isn't worth it, since stealing from the government is a pretty serious offense.
  • @thecleator and @LegoFanTexas -

Correct, you must typically have a business registered with your state, a TIN (or your SSN, if a sole proprietorship), and your state's tax exempt form filled out to get this card from Walmart.

One little update to what LFT said... if you are selling online to out-of-state buyers, you (like Amazon.com) personally have no obligation to collect the sales tax of that state, unless you have physical operations (warrhouse, call center, etc.) in that state.

If you sell to someone from your own state, you must collect tax from your buyer and remit thay to the state.

Bottom line: if you sell online to primarily out-of-state buyers, it *may* be worth looking in to getting a tax exempt card.

If your sales are local, pay the tax to Walmart and then you don't have to collect that tax from your customers. It's much easier that way.

NOTE - we are only talking about sales tax. If your business is more than a casual hobby, you still have to claim any profits as income and pay the applicable income tax to the feds and state.

Brent
  • Nice, my brother just called from the LEGO aisle in Wal-Mart and read off what they have. Picked up 5 more Hoth Battle packs, an Earth Defense HQ (my 4th - this is such a cool set), and then a Mace Windu's starfighter that I will give to my nephew. He said they had a lot of those. I guess 9 is enough for me on that one!

No Harry Potter - sounds like the east coast is pretty much out of those. No Apple Tree House (bummer), and no Slave 1 or City of Atlantis.

Can't wait to see the look on my wife's face when she realizes I enlisted someone else to fuel this addiction!

One big note: he said that Wal-Mart employees were beginning to price the sets at their discounted prices. Once the general public finds out about this, the sets should move a lot more quickly.

Correct, you must typically have a business registered with your state, a TIN (or your SSN, if a sole proprietorship), and your state's tax exempt form filled out to get this card from Walmart.

One little update to what LFT said... if you are selling online to out-of-state buyers, you (like Amazon.com) personally have no obligation to collect the sales tax of that state, unless you have physical operations (warrhouse, call center, etc.) in that state.

If you sell to someone from your own state, you must collect tax from your buyer and remit thay to the state.

Bottom line: if you sell online to primarily out-of-state buyers, it *may* be worth looking in to getting a tax exempt card.

If your sales are local, pay the tax to Walmart and then you don't have to collect that tax from your customers. It's much easier that way.

NOTE - we are only talking about sales tax. If your business is more than a casual hobby, you still have to claim any profits as income and pay the applicable income tax to the feds and state.

Brent
    One correction to your post...even if your business is a casual hobby, IRS rules require you to report the income as "hobby" income. You can deduct expenses incurred in connection with the hobby as an itemized deduction, but those deductions cannot exceed the amount of hobby income you received and are subject to other rules. However, there is no minimum threshold for hobby income below which one does not need to report...in other words, you don't escape tax liability if you sell than say $5000 per year.

I suspect most sellers on here don't bother with taxes, but we are starting to see greater focus by the IRS on income generated through online sales. New rules went into effect this year that require electronic payment processors (Paypal, Amazon, Google Checkout, etc.) to report revenue for anyone who has 200+ transactions that amount to $20,000 or more in revenue. I suspect that over time these threshold numbers will come down, forcing more online sellers to deal with the tax implications of their business.

• edited December 2011
    @matrixrenegade, thanks so much for this post! I read it yesterday, and promptly jumped up to visit my local WalMart. The shelves were totally FULL! The prices were not marked down at the shelves, so nobody knew the sets were on sale. No pushing and showing, no crowds. Just me and my LEGO....(c:

I got the Alien Conquest Earth Defense, the Mill Village Raid, the Apple Tree House, the Kingdoms Ambush, some spinners, and small City sets. All 50% off!!! Yay!!!

I built the Earth Defense set last night. This is the best set since Galaxy Explorer! It is totally awesome! Who needs Star Wars? Great building experience, tons if interesting features, and SO MUCH play value! This is like 5 or 6 sets in one! And for $45 you can't beat the price! I highly recommend you pick one (or more) up!....(c;

Thanks again for the heads-up!
  • Went to the Walmart by me, not much on the shelves, but not barren... Had SW Calendars for 19 only, but not worth the hassle IMO. Did not see any prices, nor did they have scanners to check.. I was not about to take one of each set up to a register to have them check..
    The only thing they clearly had marked was a City Harbor Set for only 60 on sale.. They did not have most of the sets listed in previous posts..
    All in all not I think it can be said that not every Walmart has these sales, or even this stock....
    They did have the 16 fig minifig cases there for only 20 each, but again not really worth it...
  • So I returned to Walmart and scanned the sets people had mentioned and they were in fact on sale. I picked up the pyramid, city of Atlantis, mace's ship and Plo Kloon's star fighter.
  • edited December 2011
    First of 3 Walmart hauls today.
    IMAG0008.jpg
    3264 x 1952 - 1M
  • Drove an hour away to a Walmart that said they had the sets I was looking for. Got there, and they did NOT. Ended up getting 2 Ninjago spinners and the Blacksmith Attack there. Went over to Target and found the Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ I was looking for. Only 30% off, but my son was way sad when Walmart didn't have it.
    I decided to hit up another Walmart on the way home and hit the Ninjago jackpot!
    We got the Fire Temple, Garmadon's Fortress, Nuckal's ATV, Earth Dragon, and a Star Wars Battle Pack.
    Woohoo! Still wish I coulda got the AC set for half.
    My husband wasn't even mad when I told him :)
  • Has this type shopping spree been going on before or is this another result of the Brickset forum. I too got caught up with clearance sales and my Discover card was rejected after my third visit to a Walmart. Fortunately my wife was there to bail me out.
  • You guys are killing me with your deals!! How fun!! My son really want to go shopping, but we hosted both sides of the family for the last week and I am to tired to fight the crowds. Since we are in the Chicago area, we have a ton of Walmarts....but I have no energy left. I will live through all of you. I am sure I will regret this later when there are no deals to be had.
  • pcirone....my son saw your pic and said a part of him just died inside....I think he is trying to work the guilt on me.
  • @pcirone Wow - nice! Would love to see the total haul in a photo!
  • All I really wanted was one simple Mill Village set to pass on. I tried 3 diff Walmarts in my area. Each one said one person at each store bought pretty much all of the bigger sets at each store. The one store told me one person had 2 carts full. I bought the 3 sets in town for the figures but one Mill Village would have been great. I told my wife now we have to pay $70 for it and she said forget it. Why pay $70 when we could have gotten it for $35? It was the only set of the Kingdoms line I needed to pass down.

If there is someone who did grab a handfull of these and would be helpful enought to sell me one, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • @pcirone, what a haul I must say. Do you also sell or just collect away and add it to your own collection :P
  • @romdam - I too missed out on a Walmart MVR but i expect TRU still has some. I definitely need more goats and chickens. :o)
  • @pcirone Wow - nice! Would love to see the total haul in a photo!
    Here it is...
    IMAG0009.jpg
    3264 x 1952 - 1M
  • @pcirone, what a haul I must say. Do you also sell or just collect away and add it to your own collection :P
    My "collection" is strictly technic from 197x - 199x. Current MISB sets subsidize them.

Brent
    Sales tax is way more complicated than this and I am no CPA but I can tell you that if you think you don't need to collect sales tax on items that you sell simply because you already paid a sales tax on it than that is absolutely wrong. You may be entitled to a CREDIT from the IRS for the sales tax you paid on an item that you later resell, but you ALWAYS have to collect sales tax on any items you sell (that are taxable items).

As an example, if you buy a widget for $10 and the tax is 10% and you pay a total of $11 at retail for the item but then sell it on ebay for $20, you can be sure at the very least that there is $10 worth of goods there that was never taxed.

It is also incorrect that you don't need to collect tax from sales outside of your own state, at least as a general rule. New York for example has taken the position that mere web linking is enough to create a "Nexus" and thus all sales from out of state vendors are subject to NY sales tax. There is also a "use" tax that is supposed to be collected in lieu of "sales" tax but again I am no expert so I digress.

It would be great if someone who really knows the laws well could speak up as I wish I felt I had a firm grip on exactly what they are.
  • Not sure why people buy so many sets....Im guessing for re-selling?
  • edited December 2011

Sales tax is way more complicated than this and I am no CPA but I can tell you that if you think you don't need to collect sales tax on items that you sell simply because you already paid a sales tax on it than that is absolutely wrong. You may be entitled to a CREDIT from the IRS for the sales tax you paid on an item that you later resell, but you ALWAYS have to collect sales tax on any items you sell (that are taxable items).

As an example, if you buy a widget for $10 and the tax is 10% and you pay a total of $11 at retail for the item but then sell it on ebay for $20, you can be sure at the very least that there is $10 worth of goods there that was never taxed.

It is also incorrect that you don't need to collect tax from sales outside of your own state, at least as a general rule. New York for example has taken the position that mere web linking is enough to create a "Nexus" and thus all sales from out of state vendors are subject to NY sales tax. There is also a "use" tax that is supposed to be collected in lieu of "sales" tax but again I am no expert so I digress.

It would be great if someone who really knows the laws well could speak up as I wish I felt I had a firm grip on exactly what they are.
    I won't comment too much because I am only basing my statement on tax advice that I have been given by a licensed tax attorney in the state of Minnesota.

What I *will* say is that the issue varies greatly from state to state, and each forum user should consult a tax attorney licensed in THEIR state to determine sales tax collection rules that apply to you/your business.

I will also add that the "use" tax is to be paid by the "user"/purchaser of the item, not the seller. Again, that is not typically the seller's responsibility to collect. (As you state, in NY sales tax collection is required under certain circumstances. (This is primarily for large retailers, such as Amazon.com who have "affiliates" in the state, when said affiliates generate more than $10K in revenue. Probably not very common among resellers of LEGO...))

Brent
  • Not sure if it has been mentioned explicitly, but the little creator sets and I think the small racer sets are at 50% too. The creator sets weren't mark at the Wal-Mart that I went to today.
  • I hit two more Walmarts on the way home and the word is definitely out. Both of the regular Lego aisles were absolutely decimated. Came up empty at one store. Found one Kingdoms and five more Scorpion Pyramids at the other. Interestingly, the second one I went to had a bunch of Toy Story Western Train Chase sets at 50% off...I passed on those.
  • Wow I just more than doubled my haul at "just one more" Walmart that was fully stocked (centereach, ny). Will post a pic later when I get home.
  • Not sure why people buy so many sets....Im guessing for re-selling?
    Depends on the set. I bought a bunch of Ramses Pyramids and LEGO Champion for the parts. The pyramid set comes with a tan baseplate which is rare, along with tan and dark tan elements. The LEGO Champion game comes with a bunch of pink and purple parts, and 2x2 plate with single centered stud in black and white, which are not common.

I also have some collections I'm trying to complete - such as Alien Conquest and Pharaoh's Quest. I like to have one set to assemble and one set to keep sealed.

I also hoard some sets for speculation and resale - like Imperial Flagship and Emerald Night.
  • For anyone in the Washington DC area - I just came back from a Germantown, MD Walmart, they still had about 20 boxes of Star Wars advent calendar and about 10 boxes of Slave 1, all marked half price. I also saw a somewhat smaller selection of City, HP, Ninjago, and Atlantis sets half off.
  • Wal marts were hit or miss. I have more LEGO in my basement than a Wal Mart I went to today. They had less than 8 different sets on their shelves.
    Scored better yesterday which made up for the let down the LEGO stores had ready for us!
  • @bmwlego If I had a basement, that would be dangerous. Storage is my biggest limiting factor to hoarding - I mean - collecting even more LEGO.

Also: is anyone smelling a new reality TV show about LEGO Hoarders? It would be super easy to cast it via this forum!
  • edited December 2011
    ^^ @bmwlego If you are talking about the one in Farmingdale on 110 or the one at Sunrise Mall in Massapequa then it's probably my fault :-)

Anyway, now the fraud prevention team over at AmEx contacted me...
    IMAG0011.jpg
    3264 x 1952 - 1M
  • @pcirone 4 Mill Village Raids - nice! No Alien Conquest HQs?

• Also: is anyone smelling a new reality TV show about LEGO Hoarders? It would be super easy to cast it via this forum!
    That would be fantastic, although @pcirone is making me look like a rookie based on the amounts on LEGO on his pool table ;)

I only got about 1/3 of that. Every Walmart in my area is decimated. Most of them have been since well before Christmas.

Not sure if it is a national trend, but the Supercenters are definitely in worse shape than the regular stores. (I know in a lot of areas of the country, there are only Supercenters.)

Brent

• Boy am I glad I moved away from Long Island.
  • @pcirone 4 Mill Village Raids - nice! No Alien Conquest HQs?
    Not a one at WM.. but I got 4 at B&N on the 24th at 46% off (40% coupon + 10% member discount) so I'm not all broke up about it :-)
  • I haven't been able to find any MVRs. That's not a set that's wholly appealing to me, other than at 50% off ;)

Brent