We've introduced a new feature to display your country alongside your posts. Please edit your profile and fill in the 'Location' field. This will be particularly useful in the marketplace category. Thank you.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Will we see the Super Star Destroyer discounted during 2012?

edited December 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Still on the fence whether I will buy this. I purchased the Death Star this year (10188), and it was actually one of the few full price sets I purchased, but I didn't want to risk missing it and then facing an unpleasant after market.
Anyway, what I am coming round to, is does anybody think we will see this discounted (set 10221) at all this year? I simply cannot justify the purchase at full price...

Comments

• edited December 2011
    ^ I'm with you, I will resist paying full price if at all possible for this set, but push comes to shove I'll have to. If the UCS Imperial Shuttle is anything to go by, then barring a 4 hour pricing error on S@H, it wasn't discounted at all in the UK, so I'm not holding out much hope for a discount on the SSD in 2012.

My best bet is for Amazon.com to start stocking and discounting it and then waiting for @kevbags to go to Vegas again for Christmas! (sorry private joke there!)
  • How about a 10% coupon at the Lego store from the catalogs. With VIP points its like 15% off in total, not TOO shabby for a set that might never go on sale.
  • ^ or double VIP points that they do a couple times a year. Or get lucky and find one in-stock you can BOGO on TRU.
  • @pcirone - be sure to check for other coupons too. Lately I have found some $5 off $50 and even $20 off $100 coupons that are valid in-store.

Sometimes these can be found in mall coupon books or other coupon books like Entertainment/Happenings, etc.

Brent
  • I'm quite pleased I missed the pricing error now ;-)
  • I'm quite pleased I missed the pricing error now ;-)
    What was the pricing error?
  • Earlier this year it dropped to around £185 but only for a few hours. From memory they did honour orders though.
  • £183.99, on September 1st.
    Was it really a pricing error, or just a very short-term deal?
    Whatever it was, 25% discount was enough for me to bite.
    It's still a lot of money though, so I only bought one of them and I haven't built it yet.
    Sounds like you guys got a better deal in Vegas though.
  • ...and back on topic...
    I hope that the SSD is not discontinued this year, since I don't have it yet.
    I don't expect it will disappear in the next year, based on the lifespan of other large Star Wars sets.
    I believe it will last well into 2013, possibly longer.

I hope for a May the Fourth be with you offer, or some other pricing error/deal in 2012.
  • I don't think it will be d/c'd this year either, so hopefully plenty of time to get it still. We can but hope for a decent offer on this set, but really who knows what TLG have in store for it.
  • edited December 2011
    I perhaps should have also added that I am in the UK, which doesn't seem to quite get the deals on UCS sets that occur in the US?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator
    I picked up several at Walmart for 50% Off.

Just Kidding! :o)
  • There could be a discount on the UCS SSD in 2012 but I wouldn't hold out for too big of a discount from TLG. The best bet as some mentioned is to use either the 10% coupon from the catalog mailer or wait for maybe the 'May the fourth be you' days may have a sale on it but again that could be only a 10% discount and if they have the free shipping would it be a somewhat good deal...
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UK
    I was just thinking the same thing...I would never purchase this set at full price. Even at 25% off, it still seems steep to me. I would think about it at 25% off, but it would all depend on my mood (and checkbook balance).
  • Another option is to buy the set and sell off the minifigs. It's really a non-minifig model anyway. You can get about $80 for the figs.
  • I could be completely off-base here, but I felt like I had heard this set wasn't performing well. If that's the case, I could see this pulling a repeat of the UCS Star Destroyer and Death Star II, where they sat on those for like five years before finally clearancing them out at 50% off. I don't foresee a 50% discount on this one, but if they really can't move it, it's not out of the realm of reason to anticipate it being heavily discounted when they get sick of it.
  • Or, they learned their lesson on those two prior sets and did not make as many of this one.

Might be why it is at $399 for a 3,100 part gray brick set, to give them enough profit margin to make money on it using only small production runs.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UK
    Or, they learned their lesson on those two prior sets and did not make as many of this one.

Might be why it is at $399 for a 3,100 part gray brick set, to give them enough profit margin to make money on it using only small production runs.
    I agree with this assessment.

I think it would be a fun build and a neat display, but I would rather have a DS for my $400 than a SSD.
  • I could be completely off-base here, but I felt like I had heard this set wasn't performing well. If that's the case, I could see this pulling a repeat of the UCS Star Destroyer and Death Star II, where they sat on those for like five years before finally clearancing them out at 50% off. I don't foresee a 50% discount on this one, but if they really can't move it, it's not out of the realm of reason to anticipate it being heavily discounted when they get sick of it.
    Or, they learned their lesson on those two prior sets and did not make as many of this one.

This is where I sit on this set. They threw the minifigs in just to make it more attractive, but really its not a playable set. I may jump in and buy them at discount as they may become valuable like the others since the supply was limited by demand.

At discount, it could be a great parts set as well. I actually bought a few Eiffel Towers just for parts when it was discounted :(
  • :)

@gmpirate - the ET was a terrible deal for a parts set, if you had kept those sealed, do you know how many parts you could buy today for what they are worth? :)
  • Honestly, I don't remember but the sets were on sale and I got 10% off on top of the sale. The idea of spending a lot of time putting orders together on Brinklink didn't appeal to me either at the time.
  • edited February 2012
    I recently saw the SSD at the Downtown Disney LEGO store, and while it is impressive, the set just doesn't hold the appeal that I think a $400 set should. Its 4 feet long, and while the center "bridge" region of the SSD does have a lot of detail, its still 4 feet of ALL grey bricks. And the minifigures are not all that great, especially since the DS comes with +20.

When TRU has a BOGO deal where I can pair it with the DeathStar I probably won't be able to resist getting these two sets at ~$300 each, even though I already have a few DS. I can hear my credit card company cheering already.
  • ^^ I agree, but there was little interest in the UCS Star Destroyer & Death Star but look at them now. Thing is, the most expensive sets will be the rarest.
  • I'm new at some of this, but would it be cheaper to order the parts from Bricklink and download the instructions? I ask this because I would love to have the SSD but don't want to pay quite that much money myself.
  • @dagnillo - I doubt it very much. Even if it did wind up being cheaper, it would only be by a bit, and the savings wouldn't be worth the hassle, in my opinion. If you're wanting a cheap alternative and don't mind not having the minifigs, you may be able to find one that's been gutted of the figs for $300 or so.
  • I'd say too soon to Bricklink it. Wait another year and there will be more inventory out there to pull parts from.
  • Well I looked at the parts list and it looked like only the minifigures would be pricey or hard to find. However I did not get a complete price since it doesn't look like Bricklink actually puts in the quantity of each part.
  • edited February 2012
    Bricklink has the (backward-looking) part-out value of this at about $520, but that includes the figures. Looking at the average prices of the figures knock about $80 off. [someone posted a link to this part of the "price guide" in bricklink which I hadn't discovered before, but really like it - thanks, whoever it was!]

It does have a few rarer parts, including the ubiquitous 1x5x5 yellow technic corners (which you could easily substitute for black say, if you don't want to break out a UCS Falcon or a Taj Mahal for them...)
  • 10% off at TRU right now.
  • Finally saw this in person tonight at a LEGO store. Impressive, but not a buy yet.

Also, all of the boxes for this they had out on the shelf looked kind of beat up. Is this common with the large UCS sets?
  • No, they normally keep the bigger sets in the back and an empty box out front. I always cringe when I see all the kids grab the boxes and throw them around :(
  • The little ones (or sometimes adults) like to admire large sets. They pick them up unknowingly, and BOOM, the set crashes down onto the floor from the heavy weight. Just my guess.
  • Good to know. That always makes me nervous because I usually buy online and I would hate to have a box show up trashed.
  • The 10% off w/free shipping at TRU is tempting. If the savings were $20 more I would buy one. I want to build one more than the DS.
  • For anyone in Australia, Big W have the SSD available for AU$498. I've got one on lay-by and should pay it off just before Christmas as a present to me!
  • I am guessing we will be able to get it for around 25% off from one of the EU amazons during the year. It was the same with DS last year (300€ from amazon.es). Just have to be patient.
  • It's already discounted at amazon.fr and will work out at around £280 inc postage. Not the greatest deal ever but it's a good £70 off RRP. I just bought an Imperial Shuttle from amazon.it for around £175 inc postage, it really is a great way to buy some big sets here in the UK.
  • wow, I forgot I started this thread nearly a year back! Indeed it is discounted now, somewhere around 20-25% max through Amazon.it/fr.
    If I could get this for £200, I think that's the mark I would really consider it.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 497 miles from Billund
    ^ Dream on. :o)
  • ^ I got the Imperial Shuttle for about £160, if that discount was replicated, it would be around £230, so not far off sir. :-)
  • I really like the SSD despite it not being very detailed underneath. There's a 2013 UCS rumour/speculation thread and I said there that I think they'll keep the SSD on the market through 2013 as a large UCS set while releasing a couple of smaller sets in the 1500-2000pc range. Just my opinion mind you.
  • I couldn't bring myself to buy SSD at RRP when it came out, but last summer did manage to pick one up on ebay for £155, no box. Once built I was far more impressed with it than I had thought. Especially the engines at the rear.
  • The SSD is the big one I'm saving up for, it looks really fantastic and I'd love to get it prior to whenever it's discontinued.
  • the SSD got me out of my dark ages so it's been a very very expensive set!