New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Collecting Old LEGO Glued Models...

edited January 2012 in Collecting
For me the words GLUE and LEGO fit together like "fingernails" and "chalkboard".... I would HATE to ever have to glue LEGO models I build together.

But there is a genre of LEGO collecting that deals with glued models... but not MOCs.... but glued LEGO company display models.

One of the reasons my new 2500+ page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90s) on CD took what seems like forever to finish is partly due to a group of collectors that like glued company display models.

So some of my previous CD chapters (which are in this one as a combined package) have had additions of display item images (as well as additional rare parts images).

It's rare to find any kind of pedigree on old LEGO models, except those from a "well photographed" LEGOLAND. But 2 European collectors had a pair of large 35 year old LEGO glued display models that I later found the history on.

They are a model of a Dutch royal residence... Soestdijk Palace, and of a large LEGO church.

The church model was likely from a production run of the same glued models.... but the palace model was more of unique type item. It was very wide and bulky and didn't seem like a mass produced display model.

So I have these 2 images and a few months ago their provenance (of sorts) showed up in an old Dutch news image.

The 3rd picture shows tall Dutch Prince Claus (late husband of Queen Beatrix. d. 2006) at the opening of new LEGO sales offices in the Netherlands in 1975. LEGO President Godtfred Kirk Christiansen (d. 1995) is shown with Prince Claus at the opening ceremony of the new Dutch offices. Prince Clause is intrigued by the palace that he knows all too well. And what is next to it? Why the church model of course.

The church model pictured below survived intact over the decades, but the royal palace was broken into 3 parts, and the middle part (main block of the palace) was lost long ago. So it has been recreated based on actual palace images. Now that an image of the real model appeared, the owner plans to adjust his model to match. Also, I posted b/w images of color original pics (except the Prince Claus pic), since these all went into my LEGO Chapter on the history of LEGO sales by country... where most pics were already b/w.

It's the putting together little pieces of the vast puzzle that we know as LEGO, which I totally enjoy. And those that have purchased my previous Collectors Guide... they like those little obscure bits of the LEGO story that ... ;-)

Gary Istok
Soestdijk Palace LEGO model.jpg
2592 x 882 - 373K
LEGO Church.jpg
355 x 600 - 22K
Dutch Royal Visit.jpg
922 x 614 - 160K

Comments

• Wonderful story, thank you.
  • edited January 2012
    Duh... I can't even finish the last sentence (I heard a noise outside and was distracted). But I wanted to make 1 correction... I didn't discover the last image of Prince Claus... someone else did...
  • edited January 2012
    The fellow who restored the Dutch palace (my friend Henk from the Netherlands), has been saving ruined old display models for several years now. Below are 2 TLG glued display models he restored, using original old (warped) Cellulose Acetate parts.... and a model (of the Palace of Westminster clock tower holding Big Ben)... that is still unrestored (and missing its lower section).

The Greek temple building is interesting because the warped white Cellulose Acetate bricks add to the charm of a 2,500 year old temple model.

These 3 models can be found in Chapter 55 of my LEGO CD... "LEGO Display Models".
    Greek Temple.jpg
    1024 x 513 - 213K
    1960 Retailer Display Model.jpg
    1024 x 516 - 186K
    Big Ben.jpg
    290 x 1002 - 144K
  • edited January 2012
    ... also the Pyramid/Beduin/Camel display would look familiar to old time LEGO collectors in continental Europe, Britain and Australia... the models were used in a 1960-65 spare parts pack box top image...

There is a common thread to TLG using glued model images for either idea book models, or actual Town Plan and other models.
    1960s Pack9.jpg
    240 x 340 - 19K
  • edited January 2012
    More Chapter 55 display models....

Here's a pair of very nice half-timbered German house models from 1965-67. These were in great condition and didn't require any restoration. Note: these are only 1/2 models (no back half). Once ABS plastic was introduced in 1963, warping of models was no longer a problem.

Note: the white house appears to use a SNOT technique for the windows made of 1x4x2 fence pieces. But it appears that the upper half of the fence pieces were glued to the bottom of bricks/plates. Doesn't appear to use a regular SNOT technique that I can recall.
    Fachwerk Haus Germany 1965.jpg
    684 x 865 - 163K
    Fachwerk Haus Germany 1967.jpg
    555 x 659 - 125K
  • TLG produced several glued examples of the Town Plan scene with the Town Plan board. Except the board was a Masonite version of the board, instead of the folded cardboard version for sale to the public.

Attached are 3 1961-62 LEGO ads from magazines... and the last 2 pics are of 2 glued display Town Plan models showing these scenes. The actual models have the parts and buildings actually glued to the boards... a regrettable thing!

The first board image shows a sadly water damaged Masonite Swedish board (roadway on the left). And that last image shows a heartbreaking image of a board that was cut in order to fit the display case at Legoland USA... :-(

These images are from my Advertising and Town Plan Chapters of the LEGO CD...
    Regular Town Plan Scene.jpg
    571 x 1200 - 307K
    Alternate Town Plan Scene.jpg
    581 x 1200 - 289K
    Alternate2 Town Plan Scene.jpg
    576 x 1200 - 294K
    Swedish Town Plan scene.jpg
    359 x 480 - 36K
    Legoland Town Plan.jpg
    800 x 600 - 104K
  • edited January 2012
    And speaking of Town Plans.... the instructions of the complex 810 and 725 Town Plan sets were surprisingly easy... or should I say surprisingly skimpy... all you got was a 1 page image of the buildings on the 810 Town Plans (plus the alternate building models on the back). There were no step-by-step instructions like we have today... kids must have been smarter in those days... ;-)

Also, notice how the blue slopes didn't match up to the individual model images... well the red slope versions came out first... and TLG didn't want to bother re-doing the artwork!!

On the USA/Canada 725 Town Plan set... the instructions were on the inside of the box top, or on the back side of the 246 Town Plan board (3rd image)... again one step instructions!!

These images are from Chapter 3 of the LEGO CD... Town Plan Sets and Boards (1955-67).
    810 Town Plan Instructions.jpg
    516 x 694 - 66K
    810 Town Plan Alternate Instructions.jpg
    500 x 375 - 47K
    725 Town Plan Instructions.jpg
    1024 x 649 - 126K
  • Another old image... imagine in 1959 playing in the sand with LEGO boxes that are today worth hundreds of EUROs..... unthinkable!! :-o

Also... anyone have a clue why those 10x20 baseplates can stay so nicely together on an uneven topography? ;-)
    Belgium 700 Content List.jpg
    676 x 740 - 170K
  • Yes, some of us love the glued models. www.brickmuseum.net and I am always looking for my next "LEGO fix".