New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

For which themes do you have a complete collection of sets?

edited January 2012 in Collecting
i was sorting out my "sets i own" page the other day as i hadn't done it for a while. with some bargain's grabbed in the sales over xmas and of course presents themselves, i was long overdue an update! while i was doing this it got me looking through all the sets i own and noticed i have actually only got one "complete" collection for a theme - and that's Toy Story.

so fellow LEGO fan's, i was wondering if anyone else would care to share what themes they have complete collections for (or at least complete at them moment - pending new set releases this year!!)?

Comments

• None!! And not likely ever to complete any either, as there always seems to one or two sets in a theme that I don't care for and hence don't buy.
  • I only have 2 complete collections which are the Collectable Minifigures Series 1 and Pharaohs Quest, but with this year I don't think I will buy a whole theme as not many sets are intriguing me :/
  • Oh, if we're including CMFs as a theme, then I have all of series 1 to 6 :)
  • An interesting question. I think I am TS complete too and I was also going to add Indiana Jones and PoP to the list but I don't have the Brickmaster polybags :-(

Maybe I should make some sort of report available showing how 'complete' you are for themes with options to exclude multi-packs and so on to suit your individual definition of 'complete'.
    beegeedee
  • ^ I like that idea, despite not being a completionist.
    If we can rule out tat as well, then I am complete on PQ as I'm only missing the coin bank.

@galidorneveragain: lol, sorry! I'm just obsessed with those little packets, can't resist picking them up still, even though I've got complete sets!

• Maybe I should make some sort of report available showing how 'complete' you are for themes with options to exclude multi-packs and so on to suit your individual definition of 'complete'.
    Yes! That would be a great feature for a completist like me! :) Yes, I'm a total completist, I admit it.

I have a complete collection of the following themes/subthemes: Western, Ninja, Artic, Paradisa, Adventure Egypt (except one small set), Vikings, and PotC.

I'm also just 11 sets away from a complete old castle colletion (all sets from 1979 to 1999, including servicepacks).

• The only theme I have completed is Vikings (once my chess set finally arrives in the post), but this is more coincidence than anything. Just because Lego happens to release a bunch of sets and put them in a series doesn't mean that they're all worth having.

So I guess it would make no difference to me since I'm not a completionist.
  • edited January 2012
    interesting question!
    I have prince of persia, POTC, Toys Story....and that is about it as complete...
    I am missing two sets for the whole Pirate collection....including the mighty 6281 :(

Edit: forgot...I also have all the modular houses :)
  • An interesting question. I think I am TS complete too and I was also going to add Indiana Jones and PoP to the list but I don't have the Brickmaster polybags :-(

Maybe I should make some sort of report available showing how 'complete' you are for themes with options to exclude multi-packs and so on to suit your individual definition of 'complete'.
    @Huw that would be a great feature to add I think, there are a lot of collectors on brickset and especially those that are completists would find it a really useful tool. I think polybags is going to be the killer for a lot of people being 100% complete for a theme. especially with a lot of the licensed themes out there!!

good point on the CMF's, if they are included then i have series 1 &2 complete - but none of the others! so does that mean i have completion or not....??!!
  • I think the only theme I ever completed was the 1st year of Pirate sets back in the late 80s - was good to pick up my first pirate set for 20 yearst the other day with the Imperial Flagship!
  • Toy Story. This is probably the easiest and the cheapest to collect one full set.
  • I have 4 complete themes:

M:Tron
    Ice Planet 2002
    Wild West (the cowboy sets, am missing of few of the Indians)
    Extreme Team
  • With Harry Potter, we are only missing forbidden forest, but I plan on buying that.
    With Alien Conquest, we are only missing the helicopter, but we also plan on getting that.
    Of those lines, Harry Potter is the one that I would continue buying the entire line, if they put out new sets.

Tammy
  • Great, some positive feedback to my idea, so I'll see what I can come up with. I'll do it to theme and subtheme level.

Don't hold your breath, but it's now on the to-do list...
    margotFarmer_John
  • Great, just what I need....more embarrassing metrics.

Greetings Yellowcastle. You currently own 7% of Star Wars and 91% of Jack Stone.

It reminds me of the time my father was showing off his (relatively) new Wii system during a family get together. He turned on Wii Fit and it said, "Welcome Back, it's been 284 days since your last visit."
    margotFarmer_John
  • edited January 2012
    Hmm...I've come close but ive never ever completed a theme :/....(except the collectible minifigs, I have all of them so far) I have almost all of the (new) aqua raiders, sets, most of the agents, most of the power miners, most of the modulars, most of Indiana Jones, and I still want to try and get all the AC before its gone. but ive never managed to get a complete series....mostly because i dont have steady income. but looking at bricklink all the sets i need to complete these themes (except modulars) still sell for around RPR so one day i hope to get them all.

and my complete is just having the mainstream sets, I dont care about polybags or the other extra stuff.

Being a teen without a job and collecting lego is hard ;)
  • I don't count the Brickmaster polybags. Aren't they all microscale? I have every Atlantis set except the Brickmaster set. If I see it for cheap, I'll pick it up but I don't think it's necessary to complete the set. The other issue I see, some themes have those superpacks, including Atlantis. There's no reason I need those since I have the individual sets. Being a completionist (started with the baseball cards), I want to see that "100%". :-)

Here's the complete themes/CMFs I have:

Atlantis
    Pharoah's Quest
    Alien Conquest (I should have a walker or two coming to me in the mail)
    CMF Series 1-5
    Yellow Castle {wasn't that by itself? I'll take it. :-) }
  • Superheroes (I am not including the first batman), Collectible Minifigs, Modulars, and Holiday sets (not including holiday train). This is probably a common collection.
  • I have the full Spyrius Space series from when I was young. I still love that series! I finally pulled them out and built them all again a few months ago. (But I might be missing some small polybag set-- I'll look into that.)
  • If I did not have children, I would have far fewer completed sets. I buy that which interests me, but my boys need all. I have raised 4 so we have quite a few complete lines. Spiderman, Batman, Superheroes, all HP series, Castle, Kingdoms, Space Police, Sports line (forgot exact name), Power Miners, Rock Raiders, Alien Conquest, first IJ, PoP, Spongebob . Probably a bunch more. I have all the Modulars and Winter sets as well as all buildings from Creator.
  • The filter idea would be awesome. Maybe something that could dial in a brick# range. So one could rule out small sets. Or exclusions/ inclusion of Polybags. And release date range filter too. So I could just look at older/ newer sets. And perhaps limited edition/ special edition filter.

So many possibilities!
  • ^^I should note that my oldest is out of college and my youngest in the early years of elementary school so we have had a lot of LEGO years. Further, other than my sets, I would be hard pressed to say anything is 100% complete...too much intermingling, combat play, etc. And, we have moved twice so many sets are in boxes (probably being baked) in my garage here and previously in the attic of the last house! If I had only known when I was a young mom that these things would be so valuable...

This is a bit off topic, but I found it much easier in the past to complete sets at less than retail. Note that we have little SW. The only series I can recall taking time was the HPs, but Borders was around and always sending 40% coupons...so it was just one set at a time.
  • It's a bit ambiguous in my case. I would say that I have all the modular buildings. BUT I do not have (nor do I plan to acquire) Market Street or the mini modulers. So do I have a complete collection ?

Of course I WILL have Town Hall on the day it is released!
  • To be technical, to have the complete Indiana Jones (and the complete Star Wars) one would need the Han Solo Transformation Chamber (review here: http://www.cooltoyreview.com/LEGO_IJ_TF2008.asp ) of which only 100 units were made. To complete the Star Wars collection, one would probably have to have the gold C-3PO of which only five were made. Don't forget the various ComicCon exclusives as well.

*laughs maniacally as all the completists out there begin to convulse and cry*
  • To complete the Star Wars collection, one would probably have to have the gold C-3PO of which only five were made. Don't forget the various ComicCon exclusives as well.

*laughs maniacally as all the completists out there begin to convulse and cry*
    Haha, I think that the Gold fig would be going a bit overboard. As would any promotional merchandise (without a retail price). Just my thoughts. I'd cringe at the thought of finding either of those!
  • If you count Star Wars: Original Trilogy as its own series, I have all of those. Same deal on Indy. If you don't count it that way, sadly I have no complete series.
  • So what are we saying is complete? All polybags, chess sets, tic tac toe sets, battle packs, etc. If you don't count all those then I guess I have

CMF 1-6
    New Pirates line
    Kingdoms
    (Debating if I should finish AC while I still can..)

It's not much but I just started collecting again, and not many themes interest me.
  • How about keychains, magnets and pens?
  • edited January 2012
    It reminds me of the time my father was showing off his (relatively) new Wii system during a family get together. He turned on Wii Fit and it said, "Welcome Back, it's been 284 days since your last visit."
    LOL...literally laughed out loud on that one. That sounds like me...;)
    @prof1515...arghhh...yes, you're right...that's a holy grail set. I think there are others from like Toy Fair (a Darth Vader one) and like you said...ALL the SDCC and NYCC (couldn't track down the Superman fig on card) ones that'll have the compleatist screaming...:)

For me I have too many that I'm just one or 2 minor sets/poly's/key chains, etc. away from completing...
    CMF's 1 - 5
    Pharaoh's Quest
    Alien Conquest
    Space Police 3
    Indiana Jones
    Agents

So close yet so far.

Love to see if Huw can make that feature to show how complete your themes are.
  • HuwHuw
    edited July 2013
    Here you go then, a rough and ready 5 minute job:

http://www.brickset.com/mySets/analysis/

I'll work on refining it to add bells and whistles when I get a mo' but it should give you some idea.

The only *theme* I am complete for is Toy Story. I am complete for several subthemes, too numerous to list, but including....

Bionicle
    Jack Stone
    Hero Factory
    Galidor
    Knights Kingdom
    4 Juniors
    Ben 10
    Homemaker
    Star Justice
    Time Cruisers

(Note: The list above was added after the fact by an unknown staff member)

;o)
  • Here you go then, a rough and ready 5 minute job:

http://www.brickset.com/mySets/analysis/

I'll work on refining it to add bells and whistles when I get a mo' but it should give you some idea.
    cool!! thanks @huw, i think this feature will make an excellent addition to the site. it's nice to be able to see how close you are to completing some themes - of course there is the flip side where you realise just how many you would have to get with others... ahem, Star Wars! *cries at my measly 10% completion* (although i suspect for a lot of people the Lego SW completion percentage will be relatively low given the high number of sets?!!)

• well, the tool says I own 90% of Alien conquest, with the only missing one being the polybag walker. Personally, I don't think polys should be included, so maybe that should be a user-based configuration.

Also says I own 14 of 28 Friends (50%, even though the other 14 aren't released yet).
  • Could the percentages be calculated as % of retail price (or % of pieces). That is, there's a huge difference between owning UCS Falcon and owning a $10 SW set.
  • HuwHuw
    edited January 2012
    Star Wars = 71% here, which is not too bad given 100% includes bonus packs etc.

@doughts, it probably could be although currently we don't indicate packaging anywhere in the database. Another enhancement for another day...
  • Hmm... I'm not sure I like this.
    I can now see that there are some themes/subthemes that I'm not far off completing, which means I might be tempted to spend money to complete them.

However, it is nice to see that I am complete in 3 themes:
    Dino 2010, Factory and Toy Story.
    I'm not complete in any of the CMF series, because of the random bag entry in each, which I don't own. I.e. I know exactly which figs I have.

Star Wars (all subthemes), only 60%
    Even Dr.Dave won't be 100% on this though, since he won't have some of the 2012 sets that are in the database.

This is a really nice feature, but I suspect it could cost me. :-(
  • M Tron, minifigures series 2, 3, 4, and 5, Dark Forest (does that count as a seperate theme from the rest of castle from that time?), Modular buildings, Vikings. I'm scanning my mind over the hundreds of sets I own, and am coming up with misses on like one or two things from a bunch of themes.

The boy has complete Spongebob theme. Complete Toy Story theme. Complete Power Miners. Complete series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minifigures.
  • Great feature! And interesting to see the statistics :)

One thing i realized is that I personally consider a collection to be complete even if I don't have different versions of a set. One example is the 1732/1712 crossbow cart. It's the same set, but the boxed/polybag versions have different set numbers.

I don't have the technical skills to suggest some kind of solution for this, but is it possible to somehow make the calculator merge sets that are the same, but with different set numbers?
  • @Huw that is awesome as I am a collector and love collecting an entire series, I hate not having everything from a certain theme. I am on a mission to own all the Pirate sets but still a long way to go.

It is like my Discworld collection, I even go as far as getting the ones in foreign languages. :)
  • @huw - is it possible to add a hyperlink to the name of the theme or subtheme so we can see what is included?
  • Only 100% on two early Bionicle sets (Bohrok and Toa Mata), poly bags are my undoing a few recent ones (AC and City Space). Wish Creator has a sub set listing.
  • I am scared of this new feature, but also think it's an amazing idea. I realize it's very new and rudimentary right now but if you'd like a little feed back here's the few things that immediately come to mind.

1. Different lists for Theme and Subtheme instead of mixed together.
    2. Take away the random bag from CMF's since i have the entire collection but it says 94% because I don't "own" the random bag.
    3. Just like Bosstone said, hyperlinks to the themes and sub themes (for example it says I only own 5 of 7 seasonal- halloween but when I search it only shows me 5 different sets)
    4. Maybe a link that shows the sets left to complete a certain theme/subtheme.

I realize some of this may be difficult/impossible but just some ideas. Thanks for the work!!
  • I've never been a completionist when it comes to collecting toys, but I have come very close to completing a couple themes this past year. The only big regular set I don't have from Kingdoms is the King's Castle, but I also don't have any of the polybag or battle pack sets. I have most of the Alien Conquest line except for the Jet Copter, Walker polybag, and the battle pack.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. As I said I threw it together in about 1/2 hr last night so there's plenty of scope to enhance it and I will do so when I get the time, including

- hyperlink to the entire theme
    - hyperlink to sets you don't own in the theme
    - options for excluding certain types of sets
    - exclude unreleased sets
    - option to display just to theme level or broken down to subtheme level, and maybe even break it down further by year as well.
    - option to set a threshold below which you're not interested (e.g. I have 1 duplo set, so I'm not even 1% complete on that)

It's a wonder I haven't provided something like this before :-)
  • Great feature and great thread, stats, yes please sir! I was a bit shocked to see I wasn't complete on IJ, until I looked and realised it was a product collection, so definitely find a way to exclude these if you can, in fact the set relationships should enable this I would think.

Personally I do count polys as part of the collection but I do exclude tat (e.g. PQ coin bank, key rings, magnets etc) and things like SDCC exclusives which are only available in small quantities. I would also second whoever said to exclude the mystery bag from the CMF counts.

According to the current beta list produced by Huw, the only complete collections I have are PoP, TS and CMF Series 4. SW is sitting at 64%, which is kinda depressing me since I'm aiming for a 100 on that.

• edited January 2012
    Ha, my stats are as poor as expected! I completely agree with Andy about the exclusions - that will switch my CMF and PQ collections to 100% which gives the stats a slight degree of respectability.
    We'll let you off for not doing this sooner Huw, as you do a grand job on this site, but I won't forgive you if you don't correct the typo on the analysis page (my seys -> my sets) :)
  • some great suggestions and i look forward to seeing the enhancements appear as you implement them @huw. i'm glad i asked the question now!! what started out as a bit of fun and curiosity seems to have given @huw a great idea for the site :o)

thank you!
  • It's funny actually, prior to even seeing this thread, I happened to notice that I'd 'accidentally' gotten all of the PQ sets except Flying Mummy Attack, guess what got ordered 1 minute later...
  • @atkinsar - see... it's actually promoting more purchases.