We've introduced a new feature to display your country alongside your posts. Please edit your profile and fill in the 'Location' field. This will be particularly useful in the marketplace category. Thank you.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

[US] LEGO.com: increased clearance discounts

Comments

• jadedancjadedanc USAMember
    Yeah I meant to order Cad Bane's speeder and it slipped my mind :( Anyone have one extra they wanna sell??
  • Cad Bane's Speeder got down to 12.48
  • 12.48??? On Lego S@H????

Wow. How long were you watching it to grab it at that price?

I did not think Lego would discount it that steeply.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember
    It was not there long, I saw the post shortly after it went up and it was already sold out.
  • Did all the AC Defense HQ orders go through at $45? I was very bummed I missed it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember
    edited April 2012
    12.48??? On Lego S@H????

Wow. How long were you watching it to grab it at that price?

I did not think Lego would discount it that steeply.
    I think those were long gone online before they went to 12.48... LEGO does this a lot, I think it is because if the sets are at the store they go for that price, even if they are sold out online they still show the sale price if the item is up.
  • dougtsdougts United StatesMember
    Did all the AC Defense HQ orders go through at $45? I was very bummed I missed it.
    yep! only bought two, though I considered quite a few more. im not sure how high these will go, given the short life of the AC line, but even at RRP it's a good return, and worst case the parts alone are worth the half price.
  • I only ordered three as I was scared to get a large order cancelled like other people. As of yet, I have only received an email confirmation of the order.
  • rocaorocao Administrator
    edited April 2012
    I received a back-order notification from an order of 3. They were listed as back-ordered when I submitting the order, so that wasn't a surprise. Hopefully it doesn't go to "cancelled".

I was on the phone with a rep earlier today since two of my orders were in the dreaded "customer service" status. She assured me that my other order which was placed when they were "available" had the items set aside.

When she confirmed that they truly set aside quantities and fulfill orders in the order which they are received, I asked her why my 8 unique orders for Battle Arena were cancelled while someone else's order placed after mine was not. She couldn't answer :/

I'm too nice, though, and I didn't press her for any customer apology credit.
  • ^ From what I learned the other day, Lego is very conscious of the resellers and is not too happy with the practice. I think they'd rather the sets get out to eight people (in your example) without having to go to the aftermarket.
  • 7066 is available to order again at 50% off. If you want one I would try order quickly tho. Good luck!
  • Might not be good idea since my previous is only confirmed.
    edited April 2012
    My order is showing as 'Shipped' for the AC HQ.
    Now the Set is showing as on Backorder will ship on x date...

I would say anyone with the order in 'Customer service' or 'backorder' should contact LEGO to ensure that your order gets fulfilled otherwise you may not get your items even though they are available again

I think if LEGO still has stock in the parts and boxes that LEGO must be building more sets now to meet demand if they get a flood of people wanting to buy...
  • ^ From what I learned the other day, Lego is very conscious of the resellers and is not too happy with the practice. I think they'd rather the sets get out to eight people (in your example) without having to go to the aftermarket.
    And if this is true I think this is the benefit of a private company vs a publicly traded one. Customer service is going to be better when you do not have to explain your actions to stock holders wanting to know why their stocks dropped .02 cents a share
  • I called and although it was "available" when I ordered, it is now on back order for the 22nd.
    ^ From what I learned the other day, Lego is very conscious of the resellers and is not too happy with the practice. I think they'd rather the sets get out to eight people (in your example) without having to go to the aftermarket.
    This may be the mindset of some employees, but I'm quite sure this is not corporate policy. Otherwise this could easily be enforced by placing quantity limits on purchases.

• Well they do limit new releases. I have not seen them limit clearance items though.
    Now what I have noticed is that it appears that if they have the resources to still assemble the sets they appear to build more sets if there is a demand for a set near the EOL or EOL (at least it seems that way with IF and now the HQ, and Pig farm last year)
    ^ I don't think they are assembling new sets, especially to sell them at clearance prices. I think they are transferring in inventory from other locales.
  • As a heads up, the 2 AC Defense HQs I ordered on Tuesday have shipped and should arrive early next week.

No issues with back orders or cancellations.
  • tk79tk79 Member
    ^ Same here, I was dreading the cancellation e-mail but got a shipping e-mail today instead. Woohoo.

@datkidde Thanks again for the heads up, much appreciated!
    interesting. mine has not shipped yet, and I know for certain I placed my order for 2 of them right before @littletoki did. I did however have another item in the order that is on backorder, so my hope is that the delay is related to that, and that my 2 were not allocated out to someone else.

We've certainly seen scenarios where it seems obvious that FIFO doesn't always seem to happen with shop.lego.com, even though it should.
  • I place an order for a backordered 7066. Hopefully it will get filled.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember
    The two I ordered a couple of days ago have shipped. Thanks to @MCNwakeboard for awakening me to this deal.
    ok, just got the shipment confirmation
  • Very strange. Seems we all ordered about the same time but who gets filled is very random. I did receive an email today but it only stated the item is on backorder.
    ^ From what I learned the other day, Lego is very conscious of the resellers and is not too happy with the practice. I think they'd rather the sets get out to eight people (in your example) without having to go to the aftermarket.
    This may be the mindset of some employees, but I'm quite sure this is not corporate policy. Otherwise this could easily be enforced by placing quantity limits on purchases.

Very true, but by everyone's collective experiences, it does make you scratch your head. Certain stores I go to bend over backwards to help me out and offer to get what I need/want and others (one in particular) make you feel uncomfortable about the purchasing. Some are not rude or anything, but definitely do not encourage or help with big purchases. Some tell me of incoming orders, or what will be available, and others just shrug their shoulders. And unless they've changed things, I know managers get bonused on sales. So go figure.
  • Just curious, @gmpirate - do you fill out the surveys (printed on the receipts) and then include names of the people who were courteous and helpful?

• I've filled out two surveys for one store in question and gave high marks save for the managers. I was not real direct about the managers but rather just implied my high marks were just for the "staff". Honestly, for reasons I've mentioned before, I just do not wish to rock the boat. I do not want to encourage hard-line rules by my complaining and I have options as there are seven stores in my area I can visit.

I really do need to go and do some surveys for my favorite stores, however. They really do deserve the praise.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember
    My understanding is bonuses are also driven by those surveys turned in. I know my store manager *highly* encourages me to fill them out, especially at the end of the year, and is happy and works with me when I do. FWIW.
  • It appears the AC HQ is off of LEGO's site completely
  • My order shipped this morning of ac hq's, after being sent an email of "backordered" yesterday. I thought for sure that i would have been cancelled out, as thats how it goes, get the backordered email, then get the cancel email. It was a nice surprise
  • All AC sets except battle pack back up to full price S@H.....???
  • 9349 Fantasy and historic minfig set Sold out at S@H US
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member
    I find it funny, out of all the product Lego has out in the market, that their "Sales & Deals" section is usually pretty sparce. I understand you don't want to "train" buyers to head there first.

But there is an absolute ton of product they could post on there. I guess I'm venting my frustrations from not being able to get some of those great Wal-Mart deals I see posted. I wish those were available on Lego's website as product was EOL'ing.
  • ^--Well I think LEGO does not like the idea of discounting licensed sets, that is why it took them forever to discount TS and PoP sets.
    Believe me, I am anxiously waiting for PoTC to be discounted.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator
    ^ They discount Star Wars sets all the time...
  • RennyRenny USAMember
    It's sparse at times but they do tend to put Star Wars sets on there quite a bit. That's where I bought my copy of Cad Bane's Speeder, Obi Wan's Starfighter, Freeco's Speeder and the Republic Swamp Speeder for really deep disounts. (Now that I list them out, SW sure has a lot of speeders in their universe).
    edited April 2012
    ^ They discount Star Wars sets all the time...
    All the time? I saw SW sets really only go up after Black Friday/Christmas and even then it usually is because the sets have been out for a while.
    What do you count as 'all the time' the Jedi Starfighter that no one wanted?

I do not think that they put any licensed sets up for a sale/clearance unless the absolutely must. (must meaning they need to clear out stock for other items in the line)

^ I think yellowcastle means that when there have been clearance sales in the past Star Wars sets are typically included, and not that they are literally always on discount.
  • ^-- Ahh gotcha.
    Im guessing that LEGO does not like having to discount licensed sets due to the licensing fees they have to pay, as it seems like it took forever for PoP and TS items to be put in the sales and deals section.
    Two years ago, PoP was clearanced quite aggressively in LEGO retail stores. They went immediately to 50% off, and whatever remained went to 75% off a few weeks to a month later.

Unfortunately, 2011 saw a much more conservative approach to their clearance. A few random sets went to 50% off (perhaps based on high inventory level), but many slowly trudged along at lower discounts.

I don't think there is much discrimination between licensed vs non-licensed when it comes to inventory clearing. The license fees have been long since paid.
  • My 2 Alien HQ sets arrived today - those were the ones that gave you a surprise discount of 50% when you added it to the cart - so about $45 each.

But the shipping invoice reads $180 for both. Checking with Lego right now to confirm what was billed. Did anyone else have this issue?

For some reason, shipping invoices always show the regular price. It's quite annoying since one can't rely on it to remember how much one paid for the item.

Btw, my sets arrived today, too. Definitely more than 2 :P
  • Good to know - thank you!

I regret not ordering more. It's a great set, fun to build and great piece count.
  • Check your electronic invoice at LEGO S@H. It is wierd two as it will show the retail price but at the totals at the bottom it should reflect the sales prices... Not sure why LEGO does this.. I also believe the emailed invoice should show the correct amounts.
  • Yes, this is a known issue for Lego invoices and the stores recently received training to call in whenever a return is made with a online invoice. Supposedly people were returning sale items and receiving full credit at the stores.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member
    Ahhhh, thinking back to the Lego.com Clearance details....(I'm staring off in the distance right now)....

In the summer of 2007, I bought a bunch of 10183 Hobby Train's on clearance for $50 each; and also some of 8145 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano for $60 I believe.
  • Ahhh the good old 10183 train kit for $50... I bought a few of those... at first to use for train parts and to build many of those sets in the kit...now they are sitting in my storage area..for now
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember
    I just realized my last PAB I ordered was sent at no charge. I ordered it the normal way, it wasn't a replacement for missing pieces or anything. Odd!
  • If you are referring to the invoice sent with the parts, it usually says '0.00'./.. Check the Electronic invoice via your account at shop.lego.com and Im guessing it will show the amount charged