New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Changes to the display of reviews

HuwHuw
edited February 2012 in Brickset.com
I've just finished something I started just after the user survey last year and, because it was fairly tricky to implement, I'd like you to test it before I announce it on the main site.

One common criticism of the reviews is that they can be flooded with those written by KFOLs and TFOLs that are of interest only to that age group, and as a result it can be harder to find the better ones.

So, I've provided the means for you to specify your review preferences in your profile.

You can choose whether you want to see reviews written by AFOLs, TFOLs, KFOLs, parents or educators, or, for old reviews, where the reviewer is unspecified. Once you've done so, it'll affect all pages that display reviews.

Reviews by gold-rated reviewers will be shown to everyone, regardless of the age of the reviewer. So, if a KFOL or TFOL consistently writes high quality reviews, and there are many that do, then I think it only right that they are displayed to all.

So, please, have a play and let me know if it works as expected. There could still be a few bugs to iron out so if you find any problems, let me know here.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Great idea!
    I went straight in and deselected 'TFOL' 'KFOL' and 'unspecified. Ageist I know, but need trim back the noise somehow. I saved it then went straight to 8404, but it said:

You are currently viewing reviews written by:
    Gold rated reviewers
    Unspecified
    KFOLs
    TFOLs
    AFOLs
    Parents
    Educators

Sure enough they were back enabled in my profile, so.
    - I disabled them and saved, but
    - it then showed them enabled in my profile.
    - When I then edited my profile they were UNchecked this time, but
    - when I clicked save, my profile (read only view) still hadnt updated.
    - I went to 8404 again, and it was still showing all reviews.
    - Back to my profile, and KFOL and TFOL were checked again in both read only and editable views.

In other words, the changes in edit profile aren't 'sticking'.

Hope this helps
    Simon
  • ^ seconded, can confirm this is happening for me too.
  • HuwHuw
    edited February 2012
    ^ Thirded :-)

It appears that until you've set preferences, you can't set them; in other words, it's broken for everyone but me that has some test data in the table.

I'll try and figure it out...

I'm glad I asked you lot to test now :-)
  • I think it's sorted now, PLMK...
  • edited February 2012
    The preference settings are being saved for me (now).
  • Works fine for me too - good job.

If I have one suggestion for improvement, it's to display the total number of reviews in all categories combined alongside the number of reviews in the user's selected categories; that way if there are no reviews in a user's preferred category or categories, they can at least see whether there are any reviews at all (which would maybe be better than nothing).
  • ^ Where would it show that, Dave?
  • edited February 2012
    Works for me now, great idea!

^^ Yes, that would be a good idea, maybe in the reviews tab?
  • I like this feature, although in a few cases, it can be confusing. In the "sets you want" list, I see there are two reviews for a set, so I click on it and the next screen shows no reviews. For this example 4206 , it turns out that the reviews were from KFOLs only. If there are no reviews for my review interests, I might be willing to read some KFOL reviews. I then have to go edit my profile to get them back. I usually read a review for a new set to decide if I will buy it, and really new sets sometimes don't have many reviews. I know this is a stretch, but maybe the review filter can ignore your preferences if there are no reviews for your review interests?
  • ^ or have it show "no reviews based on your settings. Show all reviews?" type of thing that will temporarily bypass the settings for that particular item.
  • Yes, that is a bit of a shortcoming at the moment that needs addressing. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give them some thought.
  • Is the KFOL, TFOL thing retrospective? When a TFOL becomes an AFOL and their status changes, will all their previous reviews automatically become AFOL reviews or will they remain as TFOL ones?
  • Brickset doesn't know your age, and unless I'm mistaken there isn't a way to change which you are once it is first selected...
  • ^^ That's a really good question. I imagine you'd have to just alert @Huw if/when you cross into the next phase. But I would think it only makes sense to change your settings going forward as previous reviews would have been age appropriate.
  • HuwHuw
    edited February 2012
    It asks what you are when you post the review, so it should always be current. It's not saved in your profile.
  • edited February 2012
    ^Right...I like that feature alot. When I do reviews sometimes I'll take the approach of how the kit appeals to a kid, so I'll select 'Parent' and then another will be how it'll appeal to the adult collector/builder...select 'AFoL'...:)
    It's perfect for when you move from kid to teen to adult to parent, etc.
  • edited February 2012
    [removed an erroneous correction based on a misread - oops]
  • I was looking at the reviews of the LOTR sets and saw that 9472 Attack On Weathertop
    had one review with an average of 3.8 bricks. When you open the review you see 3 times 5 bricks and 2 times 4 bricks. How is the lower average possible ?
  • edited May 2012
    ^ We use a weighted average scheme ...
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/27119/#Comment_27119
    ... to stop sets with only a few high scores from unrealistically dominating the overall rankings.
  • Thanks bluemoose. I should add that the method used was 'pinched' from Lugnet back in the 1990s. I'm sure there are mathematical papers written about it somewhere, but it is surprisingly simple and effective.
  • I see, sounds logical. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread by the way, could not find the other.