New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Petition to reissue Cafe Corner

edited March 2012 in Collecting
Hi Brickset Lego fans! I've set up a petition to try to get Lego to reissue the Cafe Corner set (so kids and adults alike can get their hands on it for less than $900 on eBay!) Here's the petition on change.org, please sign it if you have a minute!

http://www.change.org/petitions/lego-reissue-the-cafe-corner-lego-kit

Comments

• I sense a debate brewing haha. A lot of people here have deliberated the pros and cons of re-releasing sets. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see the set re-released, but one arguement that stuck with me is why would LEGO re-release an old set and sell to a limited few who don't have the set, when they could just release a brand new modular building and sell to a much larger group.

On the other hand you could argue that developing a new Modular would cost a lot more than just digging up old colors and molds to make the Cafe Corner again so it would be cheaper, but that's assuming a lot.
  • edited March 2012
    From LEGO's standpoint, this really makes no good financial sense. Yes, these sell for a ton on eBay, but is the market searching for them large enough to justify LEGO re-releasing the set? Never mind how many of those pieces aren't currently being manufactured.

Additionally, I think a lot of people that started collecting modulars after this one was released will be surprised at how horrible this build is. Much like Green Grocer, the building techniques are extremely dated, and the finished building is pretty ugly compared to the Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, Town Hall and even the Grand Emporium. Worse still, the interior is basically non-existent. The one saving grace is that it's a corner, but if they ever get to a point where there are five or more corner buildings produced, this set's necessity (for me, at least) will plummet.

So, as @yys4u sort of mentioned, I think it just makes more sense, at least from LEGO's point of view, to continue just releasing new modulars, rather than devoting money and resources to re-manufacturing a model that is really very antiquated.
  • ^Another point I heard mentioned is an updated version of the first couple modulars. Basically adding interiors to them. Don't remember which or how many didn't have an interior but that would be a better way of doing it. Only it probably wouldn't make sense to update them until some time later.
  • What I don't get is why the Cafe Corner is worth more than the Green Grocer, even though the Green Grocer has more pieces. I am mixed about Lego rereleasing te Cafe Corner. I would love to have them again. Long story short, I had both before and was a dumb A and sold them because I didn't think Lego would continue with modulars. Now they are used going for $400-700. I don't see Lego giving in and rereleasing them. As others have mentioned, limited shelf space, profit margin, etc.
  • ^I have no quantifiable way of proving this, but I would think, at least for now, Cafe Corner is simply more desirable by sheer virtue of being a corner. People interested in creating a 'block' who don't necessarily want every modular that comes out currently need Cafe Corner for that to happen. Green Grocer isn't nearly so necessary in that scenario.
  • I like the Green Grocer but can't find a used one for under $400 that isn't missing pieces.
  • I'd love a reissue, I can't pay the current prices. I don't buy to make money, so I don't mind a reissue of any Lego set
  • A drop in resale value is only one side to it. A rerelease also most likely means one less new release.
  • A drop in resale value is only one side to it. A rerelease also most likely means one less new release.
    ^ This

How many of you saying "yes, please reissue Cafe Corner" would be happy to have had that come out this year instead of Town Hall?

Everyone who thinks that TLG could sell more reissued Cafe Corner sets this year than they can sell brand new Town Hall sets, raise their hands...
  • It's not like a re-issue is going to make me buy it... simply because missing the Cafe Corner made me voluntarily pass on the others. It's a little too late for me either way. I think saying a re-issue is in any child's best interests is pushing the truth... everyone here knows that the modulars were made for adult collectors. And don't complain about Ebay asking prices, because the only reason they are that high is because idiots are willing to pay that much. Some Lego collectors have way to much money, and are stupidly willing to accept "asking prices" for standard models like the Batman series.
  • edited March 2012
    if one doesn't care about having the "official" version of the set, it can be parted out on Bricklink for $200 - $300, depending on what color and part substitutions and/or omissions you are willing to make. I just did it today. Came it at 8 vendors and $201.13, not including the parts already in my collection, which were all of the very standard (and cheap) variety, excepting the dark blue 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 bricks.

• I was thinking of doing the same thing but I felt confused and lost. Too many parts, too many sellers, too many price points. AHH!!
  • Ype
    It's not like a re-issue is going to make me buy it... simply because missing the Cafe Corner made me voluntarily pass on the others. It's a little too late for me either way. I think saying a re-issue is in any child's best interests is pushing the truth... everyone here knows that the modulars were made for adult collectors. And don't complain about Ebay asking prices, because the only reason they are that high is because idiots are willing to pay that much. Some Lego collectors have way to much money, and are stupidly willing to accept "asking prices" for standard models like the Batman series.
    I agree. I think the inherent problem with the modular buildings is storing and displaying them. The same goes for the UC Star Wars sets. I just don't want thousands of dollars on display (not that I can afford it anyway). I would rather see sub-$100 sets similar to the MMV or Town Plan where there are more 3D, diorama type elements. The modulars actually look kind of blocky and boring when stacked up against each other.

• How many of you saying "yes, please reissue Cafe Corner" would be happy to have had that come out this year instead of Town Hall?

Personally I would have rather bought a reissued cafe corner (if it was 150) rather than a 200 Town Hall. To be honest I'm still not convinced on the town hall, I feel its too big and wont blend well with the others, and the outside of it doesn't seem as detailed and interesting as the other buildings...
    I was thinking of doing the same thing but I felt confused and lost. Too many parts, too many sellers, too many price points. AHH!!
    I feel the same way... try to piece out the green grocer, my mind almost exploded.
  • To be honest I'm still not convinced on the town hall, I feel its too big and wont blend well with the others, and the outside of it doesn't seem as detailed and interesting as the other buildings...
    After building Town Hall, I think only the Fire Brigade rivals in detail. There are many elements like the columns, roof over the columns, window decorations, 1891 date build, and some other features that surprised me.

As far as size, it's not too much bigger. If you lop off the bell tower it will fit right in with any other of the current modulars.
  • edited March 2012
    The economics don't stack up. Those calling for a reissue can rationalise until they're blue in the face, but it's self-interest rather than common sense driving your argument.

There is a limited market for these modulars - they are big, expensive and relatively hard to build. Some of that niche "target market" has already bought Cafe Corner. So what should LEGO do - fill a product slot in order to reissue Cafe Corner so that those who didn't buy it the first time can buy it now, or release a new modular which would potentially sell to those who didn't buy Cafe Carner first time round AND those who did? No brainer, I'm afraid, further illustrated by the 'Legends' line of reissues which apparently did not sell well.
  • ^ Yup

Another 'no hand' from me.
    If you want it, bricklink it with colour substitutions.
  • A little off topic, but I think it would be good if bricklink had a "I'm willing to pay" want list. There are some parts (and sets) that are priced too high on bricklink - too high in the sense that they rarely sell for that price.

Allowing prospective buyers to say what they are willing to pay for a piece / set as well as prospective sellers (prospective as a seller is only a seller if their price is such that the item sells) to say what they want for a piece might help more pieces to be sold.

There could be two ways of doing it - just as a guide as to what buyers would realistically pay, or if a seller can complete X% (X set by buyer) of a wants list at the prices stated, then the contract is formed.
  • edited March 2012
    Agree with ^^ and ^^^. Everyone will buy a brand new modular, only a small % of them would buy a Cafe Corner - no contest!

Also, if they were to release it with an interior this would really drive the piece count WAY up, so any arguments that people would buy it instead of the town hall would be rather moot.

Bricklinking is the way forward! :)
  • I am lucky enough to own 1 CC. This set launched not only a theme for LEGO but a favorite theme for myself. I played by the rules and spent more money than I thought I'd ever spend on a LEGO set ($129.99) when this beauty came out. As a result I have a pretty amazing display of this line along with MOCs in my basement. Displaying them has been difficult as they are so large but it looks great.

If those who wanted this set when it was available and passed on it, I am sorry but you had your chance.

If you weren't an AFOL at the time those are the breaks. There are many sets that came out when I was a child and later on in my Dark Ages that I'd love to own (Parking Garage being 1) that if I still want bad enough I have to either pay a reseller on Bricklink or try to part out or do with out.

One can always build their own corner building. That is the beauty of LEGO!
  • No hand from me either. Don't have CC, and can't afford to source one. Would consider Bricklinking if a) I can ever be bothered or b) I run out of shiny new boxed sets to buy [highly unlikely]. There's so many new possibilities for the modular range that I'd rather see than a re-release.

Things come and go, win some, lose some, c'est la vie, onwards and upwards, people [insert clichés ad infinitum]...
  • I'd certainly buy one but I can't see it happening, and wouldn't it harm sales of the current modulars? Who would buy multiple Fire Brigades if they thought it would probably get reissued in a few years?
  • I guess the counter argument is that if I cannot get building A (affordably), why should I bother to get B, C, D, E, .... as I will never be complete. Maybe if they sold A again, then it would prompt people that missed out into buying more modulars and that would make financial sense.

Of course, then there is the side-problem of reissuing B, C, D, ... and the other missed buildings.

Personally, I'm neither for or against a reissue. I don't really, really want it (although would probably buy it if realistically priced) and I don't have stocks of it hiding in my attic. If it did make financial sense to prompt collectors into buying other modulars, then I don't see why they cannot devote some warehouse space to it for exclusive sale through the website. They wouldn't need to use shop space for it. They could even do a poor man's reissue to distinguish it from the original and put it in a plain brown box.
  • edited March 2012
    ^Yea. I would certainly buy a reissued Cafe Corner, but that doesn't subtract from the fact that I am definitely going to buy the new Town Hall. TLG knows more and more people buy the new sets vs the old ones, so why redo something that's already been done and didn't sell as well as the new stuff does? The same can be said for other EOL'd sets like the MF. In order for sets to be reissued, I think the target audience would mainly have to be kids because the adult community is not big enough to sustain sales alone.

I am also going to bricklink CC and have been procrastinating the seemingly daunting task. I would advise anyone else that must have this to do the same, $300 is much more reasonable than what even the used sets go for.
  • Hand down from me.
    And a question: Why would you want Cafe Corner re-released?
    The petition's main point appears to be that it stimulates imagination and creativity, which is not valid as you are talking about LEGO not the Cafe Corner set.
    Addtional points are:
    "arguably the most well-designed Lego kit in decades", will have to disagree with that, I think there are a LOT of set's with a better design.
    "The world would be a better place if we could spark kids' imaginations with Cafe Corner kits for $150" - You seriously think a big old building will spark kids imagination more than, say, 9443 - Rattlecopter (which is $120 cheaper!!).
    "to allow them to use their hands-on building skills rather than just playing video games" - Once again this is LEGO not Cafe Corner.
    "Plus, companies should get better at reacting to customer demand for their products, there is clear demand to reissue Cafe Corner." - I think TLG seem to have things well balanced and I think it is actually pretty clear that the large majoirty would rather new sets that a reissued Cafe Corner.
    "False scarcity is not a good policy for toymakers." - Unfortunately this is an awesome policy for TLG and ramps up demand well beyond standard toy sales.

I believe that CC is not the best of the Modulars, isn't the biggest and isn't the most interesting build, so ask yourself, why do you want it so much, because if the answer has anything to do with the fact its a collectable you have to realise that re-releasing it will destroy all aspects of it being collectable and also put a huge question mark over the 'collectabilty' (<- possibly made up word!) of all future Lego sets, which would have massive reprecussions for TLG.
  • edited March 2012
    But CCC, that's not a very good argument. You are promising you will buy all the sets if multiple sets are reissued? It seems like a bad ultimatum. Reissue all these sets or you will not have the potential sales you already don't have. I think there is a lot of misconception of how much available resources TLG has. If they saved space for EOL'd sets they would need more space for other sets. If a set was reissued they would also need to make more manuals, boxes and molds. Who would know how many sets they need to make and then save for people that are going to want them for the future? Too much wasted money in that. My understanding is that Lego doesn't have the money for extra warehousing unlike companies like Amazon and Walmart that are basically just giant warehouses for inventory.
  • edited March 2012
    I keep hearing people bring up the fact that a completely NEW set will sell better than an OLD REissued set, an argument I brought up in my first post, but I also brought up (something I think people may have skipped) is that in theory, LEGO would be able to re-release an old set relatively easily.

Imagine the cost of developing a completely new design, the costs of designing it, researching it, and going through trial and error, there would appear to be a much larger start up cost than just taking an idea that has already been employed. So even though a reissue wouldn't sell as well as a new one, it wouldn't need to because I imagine it wouldn't cost nearly as much to produce.

This is just speculation of course because I don't know details of how LEGO operates, but its just something else to consider...
  • ^ But that is something they are going to do anyway (designing new sets). I mean what are they doing at Lego HQ? Designing new sets I suppose.
  • If it is a limited or exclusive set, then Lego won't release it again.

However, for all other sets, if there is enough demand from users, Lego will reconsider re-releasing a set.

This is what Lego told me when I asked them about their policy on re-release of sets.
  • ^ considering, and actually doing something, are worlds apart.
  • ^^True, but who knows how much reissuing the set will cost. They would definitely need some new molds, at least for the pieces they don't have anymore. There is initial runs for quality control. They may have to look at the design even if they don't change anything which could cost money. I'm sure they would need to do some marketing research to see how many of these they could sell. Then start-up production and I'm sure a few other things will cost them an initial investment. Some companies can spend absurd amounts of money on initial designs and production costs hoping to sell enough product to eventually start profiting off every item they sell. It would be that amount of initial cost that would determine if they could eventually start making money off a reissue.
  • Re issues would be suicide for Lego. The moment these sets lose their appear and collectability people will drop Lego like a heavy rock. A similar set would be acceptable like they do with Star Wars but a total reissue makes no business sense at all for them.
  • Why would they lose their appeal if more people had them?

Surely collectors would want them, no matter who else had them. It may affect sales to resellers if they know they cannot make 3-5x their RRP, but not to collectors.
  • Instead of hoping for a reissue, go out and piece it together. I put mine together using all original (no substitute) parts from BL for 300 bucks (i put together another set at the same time so i was able to lessen the cost). All pieces were new or like new and lego even was a good place to get some of the pieces cheaper (roof tiles). I am surprised more people arent doing this with the cost of CC being what it is.
  • I am just waiting for more sets to come out with 1x8 dark blue arches... avengers sets had potential, but it doesn't look to be the case with the pictures.
  • 1x8 blue arch is a discontinued piece, no longer manufactured by lego. Look on BL for the sets they were in, and get a cheap used or partial set (which will also give you other pieces for CC). I was lucky enough to find a partial 8893 with all 4 arches for 23 bucks delivered...keep checking ebay!
  • Sets should not be reissued. There are so many new themes and replicas to build, why waste time with remaking older sets? That's why Lego is Lego. Cafe Corner is an awesome set, but so is the Statue of Liberty(3450) and the Millennium Falcon(10179) and hundreds of others. I've seen a couple of dozen awesome custom Modular instructions on EBAY that could be a new set. Plus, the Cafe Corner I have would be worth zilch if Lego did that...LOL
  • edited March 2012
    I'm either way..... not for nor against. I've got one and have no need for another, but it would be nice for people that want one.

If LEGO did do a reissue, and even if it failed, I doubt they would loose too much money IMO. They are big - heck, they are going to build their own windmill farm to generate their own power. They should be able to afford it on a limited basis - and the price should reflect that. But I don't think they should do it with retail stores in mind. Direct, online sales only. The process could be similar to the create your own set (I forget what it was actually called) which was recently discontinued.

I don't think the limiting factor is directly tied to production of the pieces, but more related to the labor involved in packaging the pieces. Did you see the Ultimate Factory video... their warehouse system is humungus. Most pieces are probably still being produced, and switching colors is probably not too much trouble. No new molds would need to be created. It's the packing of the pieces that will cost them.... A lot of assuming on my part. :oP

So rather than a reissue, I think consumers should have the option to order retired sets and never made sets (based on instruction only sets) on an online/in store process.... plain brown box, hand picked and packed, cost you a little more...
  • I think Lego should do like a "preorder list" to see how many people would buy it. They don't have to actually produce it if it doesn't generate enough interest.
  • Sets should not be reissued. .... Plus, the Cafe Corner I have would be worth zilch if Lego did that...LOL
    Isn't that the real problem, though. True collectors would not want to sell their set, so it doesn't impact on them. Whereas people that bought for investment would not be able to sell it for RRP, let alone a multiple. People that bought it, made it, enjoyed it for a while, would still be able to sell it - but like anything else the second hand model would not be worth as much as when purchased if the model is still being sold. They could still get some money back to reinvest in more Lego.

It's a bit like the real housing market. Some people complain of new developments in their area, since the value of their property will go down since demand is less.
  • edited March 2012
    Isn't that the real problem, though. True collectors would not want to sell their set, so it doesn't impact on them.
    Not true. You might not ever want to sell a set, but it's a nice feeling to have rare pieces in your collection. To start reissuing sets would completely undermine the collectability of the hobby.
  • Claims of scarcity are B.S. If you want the Cafe Corner buy one. It's not like there aren't enough to meet demand. They're available through a variety of sources. You may not want to pay the price that's being asked but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The price they command is the price you pay for not acting sooner. The price is only going to go up as you whine about wanting it released by Lego yet again. I see people saying they won't pay over $500-$600 for it despite it selling for around $900 (roughly). Why didn't they buy it a year or so ago when it was selling for that price then? Then they wanted it for $300. A year or so from now when it's selling for $1200 they'll be offering $800-$900 for it. If they didn't just sit around whining and wishing for a rerelease and just got their butts in gear and paid the going rate they'd have it before it gets more expensive. The problem isn't set scarcity or the going rate, they problem is people sitting on their hands and then complaining when they pay for their inaction.

You snooze, you lose.

You whine and you still lose but you also annoy those of us who don't. :-P
  • edited March 2012
    As for the other modulars, they're excellent sets and it's absurd not to buy them if you like great sets just because you don't want to pay the going rate for the Cafe Corner. That's like telling a dentist that if he has to pull one tooth he might as well pull the other 31 too.

Just buy them before they're no longer available for MSRP. If you don't buy them now then don't complain later.
  • I am a year out of my dark ages and while I want this set I am not prepared to pay stupid money for it. Simply put, I missed the boat due to being in my dark ages at the time and I have accepted that. I would not want to see a reissue, certainly if it took the slot of something new. Besides if anything should be re-released it's the ucs falcon IMO.