New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

When will CMF retire?

edited March 2012 in Collecting
Anyone have any insight on when CMF will retire? They have to retire at some point, but at what number? It seems like LEGO is running out of ideas. For example, they keep on remaking the "Skater/Space" minifigs.

Comments

• Not so fast. It's still much to do. I hope there will be at leat 10 series.

* We have another 10 yr of SW, so maybe there'll be a SW CMF! :D

• * We have another 10 yr of SW, so maybe there'll be a SW CMF! :D
    That is not a bad idea. Those will sell like hot-cakes. Just include a rare minifigure one in every x packs and boom TLG has made themselves some profit.
  • I'm aiming for TLG to have at least 12 series, so it will fill up my shelf. LOL.
  • There are at least eight planned out though the eighth has not yet been revealed. Back in September a clerk at a Lego store told me they were ending at five but I revealed to him that I'd already seen photos of Series 6 which just goes to show you how employees at stores really don't have accurate information.

Lego really isn't running out of ideas so much as they've been lazy. I can name a hundred more minifigure ideas that they haven't done but could do. The question is whether or not they are making sufficient profits from the figures to warrant expanding beyond the presently-planned eighth series. That I can't answer.
  • Series 7 pre-orders are on right now from distrubution, so those will be out sooner rather than later, I figure that we'll see series 8 before Christmas
  • I don't know but I hope soon, I just bought my first pack a few weeks ago and a full set of series 5, plus 25 Royal Guards, 22 Gladiators, and 12 Evil Dwarfs later I am wondering what happened to just getting 1 of the ones I liked.
  • Female versions of the figs really aren't remakes. Especially when they have pink space suits.
  • The sooner Lego retires the collectible minifigures the better! I spend far too much money on them... especially considering they're not as "collectible" and made in China. There's not many ways left to justify me even buying the ones I like when they cost $3.50! I caughed up over $50 (and some blood) for some roman soldiers during series six... "I'm DONE army building collectible minifigures!"
  • edited March 2012
    Wish I could find $50 worth or Roman soldiers. I can't even find 10 packs of series 6 period within 50 miles of myself.
  • I dunno I have heard of stores around me (in IL) having tons of them, it depends what store in what region actually get them.. Maybe some stores are not getting any because it is not worth the loss of people ripping packs open and stealing minifigures or accessories.

I just wish they'd start doing a series ever 6 months instead of every 4, this would also stop people from buying boxes with the sole intent of trying to resell them on eBay (though why people do this still I'm not sure as it appears you can find most of the figures from any set -other than series 1- for about retail) It would also help with my sanity of trying to get a set of these every 4 months

• It's kind of odd that this thread was started today as I was thinking the same thing on my way to work this morning. I'm going out on limb here and you can hurl insults at me all you want, I can take it. I'm going to say that based on what I've seen and with a gut feeling. In my OPINION the series will end after 7 is released.

Lego had the collectable boxed series that only went to series 5. The Walmart and TRU had loads of series 5 left over that nobody was buying. The Lego store had tons of series 6 in the bin and I was the only person buying ( or even looking) both times I was there. Now there are no more. TRU now has them only in an end cap, there are no boxes on the shelf as usual. Maybe they are a victim of the economy. Maybe people are just tired of seeing them or buying them for the kids. Maybe they are a victim of the kids being more interested in Ninjago. They are very popular with them. That's all I see the kids looking at and talking about.

There. That's it. I've said it. Let the nasty, disbelieving comments fly!
  • * We have another 10 yr of SW, so maybe there'll be a SW CMF! :D
    I thought that Hasbro had blocked TLG selling minifigures outside of sets? That's the reason why the magnets are glued now...
  • edited March 2012
    yeah, something like that. The planet sets are simply another way to skirt the issue, just like the battle packs. But you won't see SW figures sold without a "set" around them.
  • Wish I could find $50 worth or Roman soldiers. I can't even find 10 packs of series 6 period within 50 miles of myself.
    I found 4x Romans after searching maybe 20 stores total. Each time I felt that spear through the bag I felt compelled to launch into a backflip. Such a rare moment... and so not worth the time, heh. But fun mostly.

• When people stop buying them
  • Wish I could find $50 worth or Roman soldiers. I can't even find 10 packs of series 6 period within 50 miles of myself.

I found 4x Romans after searching maybe 20 stores total. Each time I felt that spear through the bag I felt compelled to launch into a backflip. Such a rare moment... and so not worth the time, heh. But fun mostly.
    I keep buying the romans i nab them when they show up herebut i am making a moc so thats my excuse.

On topic I wonder when they will stop. I am not buying any of series 7 as they simply do not intrest me at all. I think they will do series 8 and then stop. They are hardly good for after sales market as so many people have them so no real bulk buyers like someof the big sets.
  • no bulk buyers perhaps, but millions of kids with their £2 pocket money? Most shops I go in seem to have them and they seem to go quickly.
  • ^ Yep, great pocket money toys and great for party bags.
    I think they'll keep going for a few more years yet, there is clearly great scope for ideas and as they are China-made presumably pretty cheap to make. I don't think the after market is a factor here in the slightest.
  • I think there are some decent ones in S7. The Aztec, the female viking / opera singer, the piper, Neptune, the space warrior (done before, but still a good addition), the black helmet and shield will be good for MOCs.
  • Hoping for an end to the Series as well. Or at least slow the pace down. 1 per year max.

I would love to see a new Collectible Series start. Mini Creator sets - 20 parts each for $2.99. Collect all 16 and you can build a special 320-piece set. The sky's the limit on that.
  • S7 looks pretty good. The only series I have a full collection of is S2. The rest is just a couple minifigures. I missed out on S1 though, they either never came to Canada or arrive with limited quantities.
  • The only way is if sales drop off considerably.
    I would though like only 1 series per year or the most one in April, May or June for the summer fun collecting and then another in Nov. for the Xmas holiday time.
  • edited March 2012
    ^^ I also missed out on S1, and I'm sure a lot of people did. They are fetching about $120 on eBay now.
  • ^ and ^^^ and ^^^^^, etc. - Please try and stay on topic. The question at hand is, "Will/Should TLG retire the CMF." Thanks.
  • I can't see them stopping whilst they are selling.
    They must cost pennies and sell for pounds and are a great way of drawing kids into the Lego brand.
  • edited March 2012
    They seem to sell pretty well here in the midwest United States. The local Target we shop at had several racks filled and then two weeks later they were down to six polybags. I also have witnessed several AFOL "feelers" in the wild. It's funny because they get this embarrassed look on their face when you catch them. I've become one of them so I can't poke fun about it. Since minifigs are made in China I bet they cost next to nothing to make and are profitable so I doubt they'll be discontinued anytime soon.
  • This guy looks like he'll retire pretty soon

• I don't see why they stop them, or cut down the frequency. A new set at easter time - better than easter eggs. A set for summer holidays, another at christmas time for ideal stocking fillers or DIY advent calendars..
  • edited March 2012
    * We have another 10 yr of SW, so maybe there'll be a SW CMF! :D

I thought that Hasbro had blocked TLG selling minifigures outside of sets? That's the reason why the magnets are glued now...
    They cannot sell certain LICENSED minifigures out side of sets, it's a contractual thing with Lucasfilm the source of the license for Star Wars (Hasbro has the"Action Figure' license, LEGO has the building toy license).

In theory LEGO could only have the licensed magnet set glued but decided for consistency they'd just glue all magnet sets (less chance of a screw-up in the overseas factories).

Overall I expect that series 4 and 5 are likely going to be the biggest runs for CFM's, Judging by the way that Series 6 is hit or miss around here the total production will be smaller than either of the 2 waves that precede it. I do expect that we'll have runs number out to at least Series 12 (a pure speculation guess).

I personally wouldn't mind if they drop it back to 2 or 3 Series a year verus the current four.
  • It's kind of odd that this thread was started today as I was thinking the same thing on my way to work this morning. I'm going out on limb here and you can hurl insults at me all you want, I can take it. I'm going to say that based on what I've seen and with a gut feeling. In my OPINION the series will end after 7 is released.

Lego had the collectable boxed series that only went to series 5. The Walmart and TRU had loads of series 5 left over that nobody was buying. The Lego store had tons of series 6 in the bin and I was the only person buying ( or even looking) both times I was there. Now there are no more. TRU now has them only in an end cap, there are no boxes on the shelf as usual. Maybe they are a victim of the economy. Maybe people are just tired of seeing them or buying them for the kids. Maybe they are a victim of the kids being more interested in Ninjago. They are very popular with them. That's all I see the kids looking at and talking about.

There. That's it. I've said it. Let the nasty, disbelieving comments fly!
    Well, I see what your saying but thats impossible. There is at least a series eight coming. And even if these are not selling great I've heard lego is about four series ahead of themselves. I read in a magazine that while series 3 was hitting shelves they were already working on series 7.
  • I think its a great way for TLG to be producing new moulds/pieces without needing to create new sets or themes (even if they eventually work their way into them). New moulds cost a lot to produce, so any way that TLG can make back those costs by selling a truckload of CMFs that use new moulds, then we can get more new pieces in sets without driving the prices up.

As long as they keep selling then TLG will keep making them. And as mentioned, they were working on series 8 about 6 months ago, so would be well onto at least series 10 in the design stage by now. We want series 10!
  • ^ Hell yeah we do! To series 10.... and beyond!

Great point about new moulds andhe, we have been some great parts originating with CMFs. Custard pies, yay!
  • CCCCCC
    edited March 2012
    One reason they are often not put on the store shelves is that they are easy to steal. In the UK, many stores put them behind the tills (eg WH Smiths). It also means you cannot search through the boxes, feeling them or looking at the bump codes. Series 6 still sold like hot cakes, despite this. Waterstones are a bit more lenient putting them on the shop floor, so if you want to feel the packs, you can.

In various Tescos (esp in Glasgow) they are often put in sealed plastic security containers to stop theft.

Also, you don't need time to browse CMF packets. You either delve in and are there for a while feeling them up (which often puts others off), or you just pick out a few packs and go. There is not much to look at, hence you don't get crowds looking. Deciding between two sets on the shelves is different. You take down the boxes, have a look at the back, compare, contrast, etc. All this takes time.
  • I find it very difficult in a retail environment to feel and/or look at the bump codes. One time, the manager approached me and thought I was stealing it. :(
  • When they run out of ideas, they will probably do a rewind and re-release them or something (slightly different of course)... What I find annoying is when stores like ToysRus limit the amount you can purchase to 2 :-/ But I suppose they are so popular, they have to do that... (ToysRus is expensive anyway, so might as well get them elsewhere)
  • Really? My TRU doesn't limit purchase to 2.

Finally found 1 last box, can't even find any singles in my city. Very unlike S5.
  • The last time I went to my TRU, they had signs posted limiting purchases to 2, which is stupid.... They were also $3.50, so I just went to WalMart (which I hate) and bought what I wanted for $0.53 cheaper... LOL
  • Ya.. TRU is always way overpriced. Still asking 149.99 for Hogwarts castle I saw a few days ago.
  • Yeah, they are pretty sneaky if you don't watch out, they have those 50% BOGO sales all the time, then I started to think "how do they do that?" Then realized they mark their LEGO sets up like 22%-25% so you really don't save anything...

But I digress, I hope CMF never retires (but I have to admit I haven't purchased them as much as I should have, cuz I'm embarrassed to feel the bags for the ones I want in public) LOL
  • In Debenhams in the UK they had Series 5 on clearance in January this year. There were £1 each, and next to the till. I said to the cashier can I have those please. She said how many, so I said the lot. She said are you sure, they are expensive as they are £1 each. I took home 86. I even got to keep the display boxes, one used, one unopened.

I also ended up telling a little white lie. They were for prizes and goody bags for a kid's birthday party. Honest.
  • I also ended up telling a little white lie. They were for prizes and goody bags for a kid's birthday party. Honest.
    Haha, I think we've all had the checkout "It's for the kids" moment of lego-buying embarrassment at some point. I've heard people use that little white lie to buy multiple newspaper polybags, when in reality they're putting them on eBay. If you're buying them legitimately then I don't have a problem with it (the buying that is. It's still wrong to lie :p).

My local Tesco's had loads of series 4 hanging round for ages, subsequently the had series 5 late, and series 6 seems to have come and gone fairly quickly. But they have conveniently moved the small toy aisle where I can feel the packs a bit more discreetly. No putting them in locked plastic boxes where I am!

• In Debenhams in the UK they had Series 5 on clearance in January this year. There were £1 each, and next to the till. I said to the cashier can I have those please. She said how many, so I said the lot. She said are you sure, they are expensive as they are £1 each. I took home 86. I even got to keep the display boxes, one used, one unopened.

I also ended up telling a little white lie. They were for prizes and goody bags for a kid's birthday party. Honest.
    Just admit it, they were for you ;-) LOL Actually when I was at the LEGO store recently (spending $1,400... no joke) they were like "you are going to make some little kid very happy!" and I replied "nope, they are all for me" they looked at me weird, but I was like "whatever..." LOL!!!
  • @BrickSpy - Yes, that "little kid" would be you!

This week I went into my Lego Store and bought my son a Hero Factory set and myself a Town Hall. He has his needs and I have mine.

I really hope CMF do not end anytime soon. There really are many more designs that they come up with:
    - baseball player with mit
    - American football player
    - golfer

It really is a great outlet for producing unusual minifigure accessories.
  • ^ I wouldn't be surprised if TLG does make those minifigs. They already have a cheerleader, hockey player, and baseball player.
  • I read alot of people wishing that Lego would make fewer CMF sets per year... the only reason i would want fewer sets is because I MUST HAVE THEM ALL and I'm running out of money!! (Still, I DO have them all!) If I'm representative of a typical buyer, I don't see them stopping production any time soon. It would be nice if they increased the scarcity factor again, though, as in Series 1! I loved the frenzy surrounding that series.
  • The Walmart near me has Series 6 for $1.50 each. They were on a side cap in a 3 tiered box.
  • CCCCCC
    edited March 2012
    It really is a great outlet for producing unusual minifigure accessories.
    It's not just the accessories. It's the ideas for building that CMF give for me.
  • I'd say if they make 10 series, that'll be more than enough.
  • @starfire2 where is that Walmart? I found S5 for $2.97 in NJ on Wednesday, which was nothing special and they wouldn't sell me the few that ppl had already cut open (was hoping to nab those 6 for a discount =-)
  • I'm hoping for a VERY large amount of overall series. Sure, they're Chinese plastic, but the pieces are awesome. I hope they stick around.