New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO Round Robin

edited March 2012 in Marketplace
Didn't know where to ask this but I was curious if anyone would be interested in a Lego Round robin?? Someone would start the package with a list of participants who would be mailed the box. If you see anything in the box, you would take out the part(s) and add an equal number of parts (IF you take a minifig, add minifig, don't empty whole box, etc) back into the box and mail on to the next person....So on and so forth till it ends back up with the first person. I used to do these all the time in scrapbooking and they can be real fun as long as everyone follows the rules. Any takers??

Comments

• I don't see how this would work if people took out more desirable minifigs and put in less desirable minifigs. Same goes for pieces. Interesting idea though.
  • Well it wouldn't necessarily be like chrome fig or anything.....What is "gold" to one person may be "copper" to another, it would just be odd/end bricks....maybe you have a TON of 1x2 black tiles and there are some 1x8 tan tiles in bag, you would just trade out one for one. It really isn't about the "value" of tiles so much as the randomness of it.
  • Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Where are you based?
  • Definitely sounds interesting! I have a crazy number of parts that are just sitting around.
  • I am in Washington state....I could start it and send to Europe first and if someone over there would not mind once we get everyone over there, to post it to the US and then it could make the rounds here. If interested, just email me your name/address please and I will get it organized. Also once you receive and mail the box, please post here that you did and who it was going to next. So they will be looking out for it AND we would know where it is. NOT saying it will disappear necessarily, but it does happen at times.... Also if you have a certain item you are sending to someone on the list, you may place it in the box but wrap it seperate from the round robin items and place their name on it. My email address is: jadedanc@yahoo.com
  • Sounds like a fun little idea, but I am guessing postage costs could kill this pretty quickly.
  • Well, I have volunteered to post it to Europe first. And I am looking for one volunteer to post it back to the US. Once it gets back to the US, a priority box isn't THAT expensive to mail, medium runs about $6-8...I have done this with beanies even. Now THAT one got expensive, but it's fun!
  • Does sound a cool idea, I'd be up for this?
  • Ok I have only received the info from graphite so far....so anyone else that is interested, shoot me an email. It is jadedanc@yahoo.com I will wait till Sunday evening to get everyone's info, then sort out the list as to the order of mailing, etc. And I still need someone to volunteer to post back from Europe to the US.
  • I'd be interested in participating, Jade. Does it maybe make sense to have 2 going this first time? One in the US and one in the UK - just from a shipping persepective?

I'm in the States by the way.

I've done something similar to this with scrapbooking as well (before I sold everything to feed the Lego monster) - only we just did a straight swap. There were a list of people and we each got paired up and you sent a small package (with set rules) to whomever you got. It was ridiculous how fun and exciting that was! :D
  • I agree that starting with a UK and US box makes sense. And then perhaps they get sent across once it's done the rounds?
  • I have never done one for each, we just tried to keep all the US people in line and the UK people in line so that it only went across the ocean twice, once on the way there and once on the way back. It doesn't matter to me either way. If someone wants to volunteer to take over the UK that is fine with me.

I have also done the one that you mentioned @littletoki, but I found it wasn't as much fun as the round robin one :)
  • I am interested, how many items would typically start/be in the box?
  • I would have to count my bag full I have started :) I will get back to ya on that tomorrow
  • postage is a concern of course. Even at $6-$8, there has to be a heckuva a lot of pieces in there to make it pencil out compared to just buying exactly what I want from Bricklink or wherever.

That said, there is the fun/mystery/community aspect of it, and in that regards, I'm game. Seems to be ~ 1000 parts might be a good target.

The other concern is that the further down the line you get, the more you get stuck with the "leftovers". ;-)
  • I ran this type of trading system on flickr for about 2 rounds and enjoyed what transpired. I added some cool parts to my collection while ridding my collection of SURPLUS parts. Others did as well as I got stuck with well over 200 green 1x2 slopes but other than that it was a lot of fun.

You need a point person to collate a list of names, addresses, phone #s and emails. You then need to figure out the cheapest way to send the package to each member according to geographical proximity and set any parameters for the package. We used a gallon ziploc bag which needed to be filled by the time it left each member. We used USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation to make sure no one played any "I never received the package" games and it went off smoothly.

Here is a link to the flickr group I ran:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/1275413@N21/

One note on cross oceanic trading. It wouldn't be fair to the members who have to foot the bill for this international shipment. I wouldn't mind trading with folks overseas but this adds time and money to the equation and the money part needs to be balanced out somehow. Might make more sense keeping separate groups.
  • We also photographed what we added to the ziploc bag and what we took out so the group could find out what was in the bag and what cool parts were added to the bag.
  • ^ Love it! Took a look through the different photos - that's exactly what I'd like to do!
  • Glad this helped you. I wouldn't mind taking part in this so if it does get off the ground count me in. You also need to include the group contact info in the package so everyone knows where and who it goes to next via a hard copy.
  • I'd like to participate in the US! I'm moving next week, so I'd like to be down the list a little ways but I need to unpack LEGO right away to finish some MOCs for display.
  • @bmwlego - I'm not the organizer for this. It was @jadedanc's idea so I'll defer to what she wants to do.

But I do like the idea of taking photos and uploading them to a flickr group.

• Looking at Bmwlego's Flickr stream makes me want to participate. All those cool parts and such. But my collection isn't THAT large and I don't have a lot of surplus minifigs or parts. Maybe when my collection grows I'll participate or even host something similar. Good luck with this project @jadedanc! Hope everyone has lots of fun.
  • Count me in for the U.S. circulation. I would suggest an approximate weight guideline for each addition/subtraction. Weight represents the amount of plastic, which has a strong correlation to element value of most general bricks. Also this would keep the shipping cost about the same per person. For those that don't have an accurate enough scale, I think after a couple swaps are completed and photographed, a pretty good baseline would be established to judge by eye.

Another thing we could do is add and take a polybag each time.

One question, though. What's the best way to get it started? My guess is have the initial person collect a participation fee and stock it with a good variety of stuff.
  • Why does the initial person have to collect a starting fee? Is this a trust factor or are you suggesting this as a way for the organizer to make money or a way to cover the organizers risk of being first?
    We didn' exchange a single penny both rounds. I'm sorry to answer your question with more questions but I want to understand your reasoning first.
  • Im assuming that the box is full of many pieces and the amount taken for oneself (and added) is a subset. Is that true? If so, at some point more has to be put in then the standard exchange amount, otherwise youre just exchanging completely with the people directly before and after you.

So if more is added initially,it could be done without a fee, I suppose, but the first person would be filling the whole box and get a whole box at the end, while everyone else gets a subset.

This is how I interpret jadeanc's suggestion. Am I wrong? Was yours run differently? Can you recount how the first 3 rounds went?
  • Jambalaya! That's the word I was looking for. I've seen these done on other sites and as long as participants are honest in what they take out and put in (ie items of similar value) then its a great way to pass on those [ieces that you have no need for but would be useful to others and vice versa. Photographing the stages is a good idea and keeps it open and honest. If there's a UK one I'd be game.
  • If this is about passing on parts that you have no need for in exchange for ones that you do, would it not be better to just have a big spreadsheet of parts people are up for trading, and then people could do it one to one, rather than send a big batch of stuff to everyone that people are unlikely to want?
  • You guys are taking all the fun out of this...

I like jadedanc's original idea. As I understand it, it's not about getting something you specifically want (you'd go to Bricklink for that), but about being part of a community and getting in touch with new people. And I'd really hope we could all be fair about what we take out and put back in, value-wise.

jadedanc is willing to start it up, and in the end she will end up with everything left in the box, so I don't see the need for a start-up fee, though I'm happy to do it that way if she chooses to do so.
    She has also said she'll initially send the box to Europe/UK; I'm happy to ship back to the US, rather than have a separate one in the UK - it would be so cool if we could send it all over the world and track the journey of one little box of random Lego.

• Sounds like an intersting idea, and I'd be up for it!
  • Mmmmm Jambalaya!

For the cost of shipping the box to the next person and a batch of elements you no longer want this is an interesting way to get to sort through a box of elements and cherry-pick the pieces you want. I keep getting Brick Grab Bags at the Lego Store so I've got lots of bits & pieces to trade. Email sent. -bill
  • I sent my mailing information, I can't wait to start!
  • We should add that you need to attempt to build something from the parts in the box before you send it out, and take a picture of it to add to the thread that you post to letting everyone know that you've sent it and who it is going to next. =)
  • Great idea.

If taking out bricks and putting in tyres/tires is prohibited. ;)
  • You guys are taking all the fun out of this...
    I'm not sure how much of this pertains to what I said, but this wasn't my intention. I think some guidelines are good so people know what to expect and also so no one feels they got the short end of the stick.

• "guidlines CONTROL the fun!" - Monica from Friends in case no-one gets that.
  • ^ I don't think it is just your comments but over analyzing it or trying to make the exact "value" each person gets out of it does put a damper on the fun. This isn't a poly bag trade or a part for part value trade (buy/sell on bricklink for that). This is a "a box of parts comes in and a box of parts go out try to make it fun" situation. Don't put in less than you take out but if you're feeling generous put more back in and try not to just dump crappy parts in the box. This is like the Telephone Game of lego trading: start with something and see what it turns into after it goes through X number of people. It's just for fun. If you can't handle the $6-8 shipping and getting nothing out of it then don't participate. I'm perfectly fine getting the box, not seeing anything interesting I want, throwing in a couple extra parts, and shipping it back out. Its fun.
  • edited March 2012
    ^ Yes! Thanks @graphite, that's exactly what I meant. I agree you need some guidelines, but like I said, I'd hope everyone would act fairly. Can't wait to get started! :)

Edit: Is it just me or does anyone else think of JD from Scrubs when they see the word "Jambalaya!"
  • It is going to be a jambalaya-box! Great name since I am orginially from Louisiana. And there will not be any money, other than what you would spend on postage. I will start out the box and pay the postage to the UK.

There will be a list enclosed in the box with all instructions as well as addresses. You would cut the next name off the list and use it as your address label on the box.

If everyone is honest like @lostintranslation said, it should be fun and go without a hitch. That being said, obviously don't trade out 2x6 plates for 1x1 dots or similar. And if you see similar items that you are wanting to put in, already in the box (if there are lots) then try to pick something different. Common sense stuff really.
  • Yay! this sounds exciting. For those who live near to PAB walls I'm sure they have plenty of parts to put in. I rarely get to one, but I have started breaking up sets for parts as well as having lots of second hand parts I can put in.
    I'm UK btw
  • I want to be after graphite! :D

Kidding, kidding!
  • For those who live near to PAB walls I'm sure they have plenty of parts to put in.
    You aren't kidding!

Grab bag?!

• edited March 2012
    ^ I want to be after littletoki!

\/ @graphite, think I just beat you to it :)
  • ^ I want to be after @littletoki, what with all those grab bags and all!
  • I have subsequently bought another 40 grab bags since that photo was taken. Which puzzles me since I don't MOC, no bricklink/eBay store.

:|
  • ^ You do make exceedingly good minifig displays thought!
  • ^^ I'm both glad and disappointed that I don't have a store close to me. It'd be nice to be able to get stuff without shipping when I want, but I fear I'd be buying up lots of grab bags and filling PAB cups just for the fun of it. Although right now I actually want stuff for MOC since I'm finishing up my 10 ft x 6 ft table for my town/train layout and will be needing lots of random parts.
  • edited March 2012
    I agree that starting with a UK and US box makes sense. And then perhaps they get sent across once it's done the rounds?
    I agree with this and what littletoki suggested -- mostly because I think people on both sides of the pond are eager to get it started, and having the first delivery take 6-10 days would be anti-climatic :P Also, two boxes would be in play, so we can live vicariously with twice as many updates!

I like bmwlego's suggestion to start with a list (we can always add to it), and figure out which hops make the most sense (i.e. Jadeanc in WA to littletoki in OR).

Thoughts?