New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

What is the time period for the Modular buildings?

I have been adding some furniture to some of the Modular buildings I have but I am kind of questioning what the time period of these modulars are. For instance, the Pet Shop has a phone that looks from the 40s and the Fire Brigade has that old looking fire truck and refrigerator. Yet, inside the Town Hall you find a computer! Any idea what time period we're looking at or did TLG just mix it all up?

Comments

• Maybe its "small town usa" that can't afford a new fire truck and the Pet shop owner is nostalgic for the old phone =)
  • Maybe its "small town usa" that can't afford a new fire truck and the Pet shop owner is nostalgic for the old phone =)
    LOL. That must be it! Best explanation I've seen to date. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a castle on the block or an Alien's HQ.

• The use of an antique fire engine or an old phone (which, I might add are still made in that style even today) doesn't suggest a time period. What does is the clothing of the minifigures all of which are clearly modern. Always date something no earlier than the latest evidence.
  • The use of an antique fire engine or an old phone (which, I might add are still made in that style even today) doesn't suggest a time period. What does is the clothing of the minifigures all of which are clearly modern. Always date something no earlier than the latest evidence.
    Hmm, never really took a look at what they wore. Some of the clothing could be from any time period like the 20th or 21st century. Now there is a little boy from TH wearing a shirt of an astronaut, so that definitely would take us out the of 40s like I was thinking.

Thanks for the tip!

• current time period, but the buildings themselves are clearly around 80-120 years old in general. The fire engine is still antique to keep it as a "vintage" fire station for local tours, etc. - a bit of nostalgia if you will. this is not unheard of in real life.
  • In an interview done by Brickjournal issue 7 @Jamie stated the following!
    "BJ: Speaking of community, does the community of buildings
    you’re creating fit into any particular time-frame or story-line?

Jamie: For me, I can’t help but place them in the first half of the
    20th century—maybe even the 1920s or 30s. I like the idea of
    keeping the story simple. Everyone is yellow and smiling. Some
    may say that’s because there is a 2 to 1 ratio of female to male minifigs. Who knows, there may be some truth to that. When was the last time you saw a happy male figure in one of the Play Themes sets?"

may say that’s because there is a 2 to 1 ratio of female to male minifigs. Who knows, there may be some truth to that. When was the last time you saw a happy male figure in one of the Play Themes sets?"
    Well I can tell you that there were no personal computers in the 20s or 30s! I honestly can see all the modulars being from the 1930s except for Town Hall and possibly the Green Grocer because of the glass refrigeration doors. Don't know if there were glass refrigerator doors way back then.

Well I can tell you that there were no personal computers in the 20s or 30s! I honestly can see all the modulars being from the 1930s except for Town Hall and possibly the Green Grocer because of the glass refrigeration doors. Don't know if there were glass refrigerator doors way back then.

True, there are some inconsistencies with this, which is why I complained on Eurobricks that the PC in TH is out of place! but for the most part I like it being from that era, He could also just mean the Architecture style is from that period.

• Grand Emporium also features a minifigure wearing an outfit that would be out of place any time before the last decade or so.
  • Just pop a custom Delorean in the display and everything is fine.
  • Doc spent most of the trilogy lamenting on how the Delorean was a huge mistake, and you want to throw one onto Modular Main Street? Your recklessness is overpowering.
  • Indeed I do. And I want to use the almanac for evil.
  • One thing that struck me with the FB is the firemen all have modern reflective coats but there's that classic firetruck. Makes it difficult to date the set. What @dougts said makes sense, except for the reflective coats, I'm sure they would dress up in clothes of that era if they were doing tours.
    current time period, but the buildings themselves are clearly around 80-120 years old in general. The fire engine is still antique to keep it as a "vintage" fire station for local tours, etc. - a bit of nostalgia if you will. this is not unheard of in real life.
  • The time period is actually the far future. It's a time when humans have evolved to have oversized detachable yellow heads arms and legs which can only articulate with a single degree of freedom.
  • ^ we need a modular Statue of Liberty emerging from the sand :D
  • ^I'd buy that set in a heartbeat.
  • edited March 2012
    I think the right answer is it's what ever era you want it to be. Personally I've always viewed the Modular series as being contemporary. The clothes and the setting just don't feel like their are older to me. The building were definitely built in an early era, but I view the setting as today.

The phone in the PS does look older. But a modern phone or cell phone would be pretty boring. This is an interesting design detail by Lego to add character to the set. Beside there are plenty of "functional antiques" around. I've been in homes with these types of phones. Plus you can buy modern phones that are dressed as a vintage phone, like a candle stick phone or 40's rotary.

As for the FB's fire engine, I'd say it's a functional antique they use to for public outreach. What kid would want to ride on such fire truck? But like I said early, it's up to you. Use your imagination.