New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

UCS Star Wars R2-D2 10225

edited April 2012 in Collecting
I see the new R2D2 set is listed on Lego.com S@H(no pic or info)just the spot with price and release dat of May 1. Do we buy then or wait until the 4th.

Comments

• Sorry there is info.
  • Hmm, I can't seem to find this set on S@H. It's not even under the star wars theme when I search. This is one set I'm definitely getting as soon as it comes out. Only about 5 and a half weeks left!
  • Oh, I guess I can find it, the picture of just the minifigs threw me off.
  • i have cut back on star wars buying but this is a must have for me
  • i would be shocked if a 3-day old set would be discounted at all for May the 4th. What I could see possibly is that if you buy 10225 at full price on that day, maybe you would get some kind of poly freebie or something.
  • Thats kinda what I was thinking. Thanks
  • Might be worth seeing what May 4th brings for the sake of 3 days. I can't see anything more than a polybag with tie fighter or figure and possibly double VIP points if you're lucky being given out on something brand new.

• This R2 unit is a must for me.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I have not seen this HUGE news on the site,
    Set 10225 R2-D2 is available on May the 1st
    179.99$ US
    179.99€ GERMANY (=235$!)
    194.99€ FRANCE (=255$ WTFFF!)
    149.99£ UK (=236$)
    229.99$CA

http://shop.lego.com/fr-FR/R2-D2-10225?_requestid=675663
  • We have the exact date now ^^
    May the first, not may the fourth (be with you...)
  • ^ we already had the exact date, in the comments of that news item (posted on March 15), and I daresay anyone following this item has been well aware of May 1 release date for weeks.

Also, it was posted in the forum here last week:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/67581#Comment_67581
  • OK, I just have to hang myself :'(

There is no pre-order ?
  • edited April 2012
    Hands Anoflix a loaded revolver and points the way to the library.
  • Just stumbled over a nice LEGO promotion event in the german lego stores :

http://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/?entry=1&id=2767#id2767

Apparently the german lego stores are hosting a r2-d2 speed building contest this saturday, where teams of 5 people can build the set a few days before it's official release.

i missed the dead line to subscribe for the event, but i'll definitely head over to my local lego store to check this out.
  • just got a mail that there was a spot left at my local lego store and i will be building the set on saturday;-)

hopefully i can take some pictures of the building process...
  • edited May 2012
    R2-D2 UCS IS MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE IN CANADA???? WTF????

i was wondering if someone could buy 6 r2-d2 in the us and resell them to me so i dont have to pay $50 more per unit.
  • add shipping and possible tax, if the guys at customs like the box and you pay the same in the end... guess which end :)
  • lol. i order legos all the time from the US. if u ship it USPS it rarely gets hit at customs. it takes forever tho. and the sellers usually put a low amount on the amount, so if it did get hit at the border, it's a minimal amount :)
  • R2-D2 UCS IS MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE IN CANADA???? WTF????
    I'm always amazed that Canadians are surprised by this. You have more taxes and costs to do business there than we do in the USA. (you have national health care, we don't, it evens out in the end)

Products will always cost more in Canada because of taxes.
  • edited May 2012
    At this point, it's kind of a known thing. Do we have to repeat the angst and outrage every time a new major set is released? The topic has kind of been done to death.

@muslhed I would be happy to ship you 6 of them, but I won't list anything other than the selling price on the customs form - I'm not about to commit US Customs Fraud over a few bucks. Contact me if interested.

• Set Information:

Box is 38x58x10 cm (15 x 22 x 4 in)
    2590 grams (5 pounds, 11 ounces)
    2 instruction books (normal A4 style, not UCS-bound style)
  • dougts: Surprised by the weight of it considering it's size - must be nigh on solid lego. Really want this, but will think about curving out some of the dome and seeing if power functions movement is a possibility with 3rd leg permanently deployed.
  • ^ I've seen it up close. motorizing it is going to require some major overhaul to legs - they are just to narrow to accommodate motors/gears.
  • edited May 2012
    Maybe just motorise the 3rd leg and have the other 2 freewheeling if you only wanted to see it move but not steer? Quite pointless though to not have steering.
  • If there's already anybody who owns this beauty,could you tell if there are any rare/new Bricks used in this set?
  • While I've never seen the SW movies, I think this is a must have for any LEGO fan and is easily recognizable by anyone. I'm going to pick this up in the US in the future..
  • While I've never seen the SW movies
    So YOU'RE the one!!! I knew there had to be SOMEONE who hadn't seen them...

Ok already... get on with it, go watch them and come back and let us know what you think... Just be sure to watch them in proper order, Episode 4-6, then 1-3.
  • Just recently watched all 6 for the first time. I only liked 1, the 3rd episode of the originals. I thought all 3 new ones were terrible.
  • edited May 2012
    ^ I guess I am, THE ONE! At first I thought you were kidding about the proper order but then I Googled it and found out you were serious! But I'm afraid that if I watch the movies I'll get hooked and want the SW LEGO Sets as well. Then, BOOM my money is gone. I'll be like "Why didn't I get the UCS _____?" And then before I know it, I shell out $1000+ for a Millennium Falcon.
  • ^ TSSWS (The Slippery Star Wars Slope)

I would avoid it now, if I were you or you'll constantly be scrubbing grass stains off the seat of your trousers/pants (depending where you live)
  • ^^^^ We have a radio and TV programme in the UK called "I've never seen Star Wars". The idea is that a celebrity guest has to do common everyday things that just about everyone has done, but they have not.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/radio/ive_never_seen_star_wars/

• ^ And actress Kathy Burke took the honour of being the first guest who actually hadn't seen Star Wars.
  • I've seen a full pallets worth of R2's today!! and a handy pallet truck soooo tempting i can tell you!
  • Just ordered one, my first UCS set.
  • ^Congrats! Those nice plaques will draw you towards the other UCS sets.

Was trying to wait for these to be on sale, but don't think I have the willpower to resist building it on opening weekend. Thinking about diverting all VIP points from getting a 2nd DS for personal use as initially intended for May 4th and getting this instead & consider it 'Free'. Hmm what to do... choices, choices...
  • ordered r2 at 05.20am cant wait!
  • Just picked mine up as well as the poster, TC-14 & mini tie for a bargain price!
  • ^ What's a bargain price?
  • not full rrp!
  • I don't like SW Lego (and I've only ever seen one of the films all the way through) but I had to have this. It's one of those sets that has charm outside of the licensing.

Plus my other half paid for it :)
  • Have a question for a friend.. Evidently r2d2 is out of stock until the end of may, if he orders it now will he still get the TC-14 minifig and free shipping?
  • ^ Yes he will. I ordered Destiny's Bounty which won't ship until end of may. I got a shipping confirmation for the TC-14 minifigure and R2D2 poster.
  • Thanks! I have a few Destiny's Bounty's, wish I would have known you needed one. But then I guess you wouldn't have got the free minifig.
  • :( Hmm, I'm not sure what to say...

Just got home from the Lego store tonight, they of course had R2-D2 on display... Smaller than I thought it would be, my wife and I were out having dinner, so of course I talked her into stopping at the Lego Store (yea, she's cool!).

Anyway, even she commented that it was small, she wanted to know where the 2,000 bricks went.

Thoughts?
  • Probably a lot of thin plates, or smaller pieces. It is like that with the mini modulars. Looks bigger on the computer/ print ads, but tiny in person.
  • Probably alot of small detail pieces @LegoFanTexas similar to the SSD. I couldn't believe how many SMALL pieces there were for the SSD but when you step away from it, it makes it look so detailed