We've introduced a new feature to display your country alongside your posts. Please edit your profile and fill in the 'Location' field. This will be particularly useful in the marketplace category. Thank you.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Value of sealed 69's LEGO System 980 - 23 Blue Sloping Profile Bricks

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to know what is the estimated value of a LEGO System 980 sealed box from 1969. I'm not a Lego collector and depending of the value I will keep it or list it on eBay.

The box is in good condition:

Any information would be helpful!!

Kind Regards,

Martin.G

Comments

• There isn't much price history on it but there is a seller on Bricklink with about 20 of them selling them for $20 each.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=980-2
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford UKAdministrator
    Nice though these old parts packs are, they generally only fetch a few pounds on eBay in my experience.
  • IstokgIstokg 43rd Parallel NE of Detroit
    Sadly what drdavewatford says is correct. The demand for these sets is not that high... and it's not due to scarcity or even demand... it's more due to lack of knowledge... of the older spare parts packs that many AFOLs are just not familiar with, and that reduces the demand for these historic sets.

Many of the very old LEGO collectors are getting many of their LEGO items for a fraction of what they really should be worth. But since so many AFOLs just aren't knowledgeable about very old LEGO sets, this is the result. I know some old time collectors that can have over 20 copies of one very old set or parts pack. Why? Because they recognize the potential value in these older sets.

That's why my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90s)... is the ultimate guide for learning about older LEGO (a shameless plug!).

What I would recommend Marting... is to hold onto that spare parts pack of 1968-72. Just think of it as a "sleeper set"... waiting for its' potential... :-)

Cheers,
    Gary Istok

P.S. See below for more images of parts packs of that era, which were sold only in continental Europe.

.... also here is how many of the 4xx (1966-68) and 9xx (1968-72) spare parts packs were stored for public sales in continental Europe from 1966-72. These retailer racks were a great way for small boxes to be stored (and sold). (Image from a German 1966 retailer catalog, and displayed in my LEGO DVD).
  • ^^ I am aware of them, but (as an AFOL) wouldn't buy them simply because I want bricks for building. These bricks are worth a few pence / cents each, and so to me the set would be worth a quid / dollar at most. Many AFOLs are not necessarily collectors.
    Due to the fact that these bricks are in mint condition, and have "Pat. Pend." on the underside... and can make for replacement parts for the 322 and 326 sets of the 1960s, they do have value in mint condition... just not to everyone.

• Thanks for your all your time and information. I'll sell it on eBay and let's see what happens:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-System-980-23-Blue-Sloping-Profile-Bricks-Exc-Conditi-RARE-BOXED-60-70s-/190670759117

Greetz