New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LOTR through 2015?

edited July 2012 in Collecting
Looks like The Hobbit has officially been turned into a trilogy now. That assumedly means sets through 2015, and likely 4 more waves after the initial Hobbitses this winter. Hopefully that gives TLG time to really flesh out some good sets.

Comments

• I'd be shocked if LoTR goes longer than two years. Even if the third movie will be out in 2015. We might get one set in 2015.
  • And as an aside, should we also assume Kingdoms/Castle will be on hiatus for another year accordingly?
  • edited July 2012
    ^^ 3rd is set for Summer 2014, so there would presumably be a final wave to go with the movie, lasting through most of 2015 I would think...
  • The Hobbits been turned into a trilogy??? Why?
  • ^ They are combining "Tales of Middle Earth" with "The Hobbit". In The Hobbit there is a sequence where Gandalf leaves to go investigate claims of The Necromancer (Sauron) in Mirkwood. It's never really mentioned what happens during that period in The Hobbit and is further clarified in "Tales...". The movies will be taking all of Tolkiens source material and depicting it as one concise trilogy.
  • yys4u said:

The Hobbits been turned into a trilogy??? Why?

Money, why else?

• ^Yea I'll go with that answer haha
  • Well, yeah $$$ definitely factors into it, but considering this is the probably the last hoorah for Tokliens work to be depicted on the big screen, I'm excited. As a huge fan of the books and the history, I'm excited to see them depict things from the expanded fiction. The Hobbit itself could probably be done in one film.
  • ^Hmm, call me naive but I think Peter Jackson is more influenced by doing justice to the story/film than the money. 51% to 49%, maybe, but still!
  • thornie said:

Well, yeah $$$ definitely factors into it, but considering this is the probably the last hoorah for Tokliens work to be depicted on the big screen, I'm excited. As a huge fan of the books and the history, I'm excited to see them depict things from the expanded fiction. The Hobbit itself could probably be done in one film.

I actually don't think The Hobbit could be done well in one film, nor did I think Lord of the Rings could be done well (nor was it) in three. Three films for The Hobbit seems like a blatant milking of the franchise, however.
  • We were always going to get a Christmas 2013 wave and (I'd assume) a little something in between Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013. I imagine there's still enough time to put something together for Summer 2014. But with the story now being split 3 ways, I believe some sets previously set for Christmas 2013 will now simply be held back until Summer 2014, based on how / where they cut the films.
  • ^Hmm, call me naive but I think Peter Jackson is more influenced by doing justice to the story/film than the money. 51% to 49%, maybe, but still!

Of course, he is an artist in that way... but movies don't get paid for with fairies and unicorns, someone has to have a checkbook at some point to bankroll it, so as Kevin O'Leary on Shark Tank loves to say... "It's always about the money."
  • ^ I'm not sure he can corner the market on "it's always about the money."
  • ^ I'm not sure he can corner the market on "it's always about the money."

:) Kevin can be harsh, downright rude sometimes, but he is quite often correct. Way too many people who walk into the Shark Tank are not ready for a real business, have stars in their eyes, or are just plain out of their mind.

Of course, the producers send them in for that very reason, makes for good TV, I know that... The others are usually nicer about it, Kevin doesn't mind just letting them have it.

Something the show doesn't make clear... he isn't investing just his own money, his investment fund contains money from other high net-worth people who he is investing on their behalf, so he has to make a return to keep them as clients. For him, it has to be about the money, he has a fiduciary duty to look out for his clients best interests.

When someone wants to only make their widget in their home town to create jobs, that sounds all heartwarming and sweet, but it doesn't make his clients the most money, which is why he can't do it.

• When someone wants to only make their widget in their home town to create jobs, that sounds all heartwarming and sweet, but it doesn't make his clients the most money, which is why he can't do it.

In good financial times I can tolerate blowhards like this. They can offer some entertainment. Not to go political, but it's this kind of thinking that has gotten us into the terrible economic state that we are in.

• I couldn't help but laugh when I see Americans talking about Kevin O'leary doing the TV show Shark Tank. That show sucks. The Canadian counterpart Dragons Den blows that show out of the water. Kevin O'leary gets away with saying whatever he wants on the Canadian version. Better yet, you don't have to suffer through the painful back stories American TV loves. Trust me, Dragons Den is a hell of a lot funnier than Shark Tank.

That aside. I don't really see the value in wondering whether the Hobbit and/or Lord of the Rings will stick around. Personally, I don't think it will. I think Lego is planning the dump-and-run strategy they used for Harry Potter this time around. They'll produce the key sets, but more importantly poop out the minifigures everyone cries over. After that, "bye bye baby!" As long as Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are around I don't see Lego being able to continue its Castle line outside of the Direct items. Lego, so I've heard at some point, doesn't believe in replacing its core themes with license ones... or at least they'd prefer not to rely on them.

Lord of the Rings wasn't what I hoped it would be... in fact, it was a wake up call. The sets are brutally expensive to someone like myself who hopes to aquire them all in a country that gives very little pity to someone working around the 20% markup. Neither series live up to Starwars, and it's insane to think it would ever hold a steady market in comparison. Lego, by 2015, will be far better off having its Castle theme back.
  • I think Mines of Moria was a dud set but Helm's Deep on sale is great if you're looking for bricks. I personally like the Weathertop set for it's mood and architecture. I kind of suspect most of the people criticizing the LOTR sets don't actually own any of them. I don't own any Star Wars sets though and I will criticize those all day for being overpriced.
  • mathew said:

When someone wants to only make their widget in their home town to create jobs, that sounds all heartwarming and sweet, but it doesn't make his clients the most money, which is why he can't do it.

In good financial times I can tolerate blowhards like this. They can offer some entertainment. Not to go political, but it's this kind of thinking that has gotten us into the terrible economic state that we are in.

I agree with the theory, that if you don't actually make anything, you're doomed in the long run.

The bigger question no one asks is, why is it like this? Consider that it only takes changing the laws to favor domestic production, then Kevin would be happy to make widgets here.

It is a huge waste of capital to make stuff for more than it needs to cost.

What we should not be doing is allowing the import of goods made in China by slave wage labor. Do that, and the capitalists will be happy to make stuff here.

Something to think about... Apple has $67 Billion overseas, if they bring that home to invest it here, they get taxed 35% on it, so they will invest it overseas where the taxes are closer to 10%. Over $1 Trillion dollars are currently held by US corporations overseas, because of our tax laws.

Make it profitable to build stuff here, and they will do it.
  • Ypres said:

I couldn't help but laugh when I see Americans talking about Kevin O'leary doing the TV show Shark Tank. That show sucks. The Canadian counterpart Dragons Den blows that show out of the water. Kevin O'leary gets away with saying whatever he wants on the Canadian version. Better yet, you don't have to suffer through the painful back stories American TV loves. Trust me, Dragons Den is a hell of a lot funnier than Shark Tank.

Thanks to the Internet, I have watched a bunch of Dragons Den in Canada. Robert is on that as well, and they are both very different on that show, they are edited differently, which shows how much they are just TV shows for entertainment, and how easy it is to have producers make it look the way they want.

I agree, I like Dragons Den as well, but I actually think Kevin is nicer there than he is on the US show, maybe I missed the good episodes?
  • mathew said:

I think Mines of Moria was a dud set but Helm's Deep on sale is great if you're looking for bricks. I personally like the Weathertop set for it's mood and architecture. I kind of suspect most of the people criticizing the LOTR sets don't actually own any of them. I don't own any Star Wars sets though and I will criticize those all day for being overpriced.

I dont think Mines of Moria was a dud. Purchased one on sale for $63 from amazon and sold the minifigs for $53 (and still have the skeletons) and probably could've gotten more if I was just a little patient. $10 isn't bad for 750 pieces :) Hopefully they put this on sale again soon so I can get a few more.

• ^ I'm more commenting on the overall design of the set; all of the stickers and the general lack of structure. However I think the bricks alone are worth $20-30 so you did pretty good.
  • mathew said:

I think Mines of Moria was a dud set but Helm's Deep on sale is great if you're looking for bricks. I personally like the Weathertop set for it's mood and architecture. I kind of suspect most of the people criticizing the LOTR sets don't actually own any of them. I don't own any Star Wars sets though and I will criticize those all day for being overpriced.

Star Wars sets often are overpriced, sometimes ridiculously so, but the LotR sets are guilty of the same thing (as are all the licensed sets, really).
  • "Mines of Moria" is really "Balin's Tomb", but think about all of the difficulty in putting any other section of that into a scene: The Balrog as a buildable figure would be great, but a set would have a little bridge and a hole. The rest would be random passages and stairs. The only place you could get another moment that is buildable and memorable is the elvish gate with the thing in the water. That would be cool.

Since there were no LOTR sets from ROTK, I am hoping that, like Star Wars, we will get LOTR sets interspersed with the Hobbit sets as they come out. I want a LEGO Witch King of Angmar with his dragon, Eowyn, and Merry with Rohan arms and armour, and a White Gandalf with some Ents. And Saruman with a Palantir, and...
  • Ypres said:

I couldn't help but laugh when I see Americans talking about Kevin O'leary doing the TV show Shark Tank. That show sucks.

How do you really feel?
    Ypres said:

That aside. I don't really see the value in wondering whether the Hobbit and/or Lord of the Rings will stick around. Personally, I don't think it will. I think Lego is planning the dump-and-run strategy they used for Harry Potter this time around. They'll produce the key sets, but more importantly poop out the minifigures everyone cries over. After that, "bye bye baby!"

The last Harry Potter book and movies are over. How is it a dump and run to discontinue the series after its IP has closed up shop? And no one I know ever considered LotR as some kind of new evergreen theme. It was expected to last the breadth of the 2 new films and now we are wondering what, if any, effect the 3rd film will have on the theme. I'm sorry you don't see the value in this discussion but I think we'll continue it all the same.
  • I wasn't suggesting anything negative about the topic in general. I just can't figure how one is expected to argue in support of or against set forcasts which may well extend into a date such as 2015!? I don't even think Lego knows what they have planned up to that date. As for personal opinions, I gave mine.

The last Harry Potter was a blatant "dump and run". Lego knew it was going to be their last go at it. Most of the sets were re-makes of classics we've already seen put into Lego. There's nothing wrong with that, but when Lego brought Harry Potter off its hiatus for the last movie their goal was to throw the most important stuff at us (buildings, people, etc). The fact that they never aspired to anything more than that made me think it was simply a strategy to give us what we wanted.... the end. As you're already guessing by now, I didn't intend to make that sound negative. Looking at the sets which were released confirmed that would be the end of the Harry Potter line. It's that same sense of "completion" that I already see with Lord of the Rings. We got the entire fellowship, the orc minions, etc. Maybe I'm not the Lord of the Rings fan I thought I was, but I feel satisfied with the sets I have now.

How can Lego coordinate a Castle theme and a Hobbit theme? It's impossible. I just don't think Lego would ditch its iconic theme for a License which'll span over many years. Again, I make no attempt to block discussion. If we're talking about Hobbit sets being around in 2015, lets not delve into whether we like or hate sets which are released in 2012... that's kind of irrelevant. To my knowledge the topic is "The possiblilty of the Hobbit running through 2015". I've already said my personal opinion and provided a reason for it. Who cares whether I seemingly took a jab at Harry Potter or suggested Lord of the Rings sets were the only marked up sets... whether it's true or not, it's not relevant at all to the topic. If I confused any of you, sorry, but the replies should really be focused towards the topic.
  • The quality and scope of the sets is absolutely tied to the life of the theme and whether it will extend to match the films' release schedule. Your criticism of the line and comparison to Harry Potter was on topic, if not in my opinion well substantiated.

I have no idea why you think this discussion only involves arguing for/against the theme continuing.

But your off topic rant about television shows, tangential (at best) analysis of the Castle marketplace, condescending commentary and overall negativity doesn't sit well with me. Neither does the fact that you deemed this discussion to have no value, carried it yourself way off topic while then reminding us all that any new comments should stay on topic.
    Andor
  • Ypres said:

How can Lego coordinate a Castle theme and a Hobbit theme? It's impossible. I just don't think Lego would ditch its iconic theme for a License which'll span over many years.

They have run Star Wars and space themes side-by-side. They are different enough to live together. Who knows what will appear in the Hobbit line. Maybe less castle wall type sets than in the Lord of the Rings sets.

• Wow, a trilogy! So I guess I was right thinking we will be seeing LOTR till end of 2014 or some of 2015 :)

Totally agree with you @sonsofsceva as I am going bonkers thinking about possible sets in upcoming LOTR wave :)
  • edited July 2012
    All I know is as a Lord of the Rings fan and Lego fan that the more the merrier. I missed out on the Indiana Jones sets when they came out (wasn't collecting Lego at the time) and to now go back and pick them up at the inflated retired prices is a no no for me. I'm looking forward to seeing new sets based on the new trilogy as well as some scenes from the original trilogy. Keep them coming :)

As for the discussion on quality, well my take on it is that most themes don't start out of the gate hitting their stride but as each new wave is released improvements are made. I thought the initial sets were duds at first but at closer look I've changed my mind completely. I think Lotr, I think epic scale but in order to meet that epic scale vision of mine every set would have to be UCS level complexity which would make the theme ridiculously expensive. The way the sets are now they represent the scenes well, the mini figures are awesome and they all have some playability (and expansion for some). As for the high prices, how about waiting for a sale? I did and got everything for 30% off. There's no need to rush and buy a product day one.

Just my 2 cents.

• I think the tentative release date for film 3 is set for Summer 2014, 6 months after film 2. So I am guessing it will run through the end of '14 at the most
  • ^ I'd think that too except Diagon Alley significantly outlasted the last Harry Potter film. Thus, it's possible this may happen too with LotR in 2014 leading into a return of Castle. It is exciting to think TLG might have plans to release a Diagon Alley -esque LotR set......there are just so many possibilities here.
    Andor
  • ^^ The last POTC movie came out in May 2011, and the sets are still around, albeit finally slowing disappearing. The Black Pearl wasn't even released till october 2011. So I would expect with a summer 2014 release, and even if the final wave is summer 2014, sets will still be around in Summer 2015. :)
  • yeah I agree, I think the sets will hang around until 2015, I just doubt there will be a new wave that January
  • Ypres said:

I wasn't suggesting anything negative about the topic in general. I just can't figure how one is expected to argue in support of or against set forcasts which may well extend into a date such as 2015!? I don't even think Lego knows what they have planned up to that date. As for personal opinions, I gave mine.

If TLG doesn't have 2015 planned out now, they are not competent.

They must plan 3 to 5 years in advance, everything from supplies of plastic, colors, molds, packaging, design, etc must be done years in advance. Friends was at least 3 years in the making, for example, the first prototypes were made in 2009 from my source, and working sets were ready 18 months before launch. They did a ton of testing on that one.

Ninjago is another example, that line was clearly thought out well in advance, this is what makes a good company great, one that has a strategic plan. I have no doubt that TLG is already working on a replacement for Ninjago, it may not be released for years, but better to have one ready in case Ninjago fades.
  • Perhaps that is why Lego keeps certain themes "alive" even if it's only an exclusive. Kingdoms for example. If LOTR is indeed not selling well and The Hobbit sets underachieve, I wouldn't be surprised if Lego brings back a non-licensed Castle theme before 2015. Actually I would hope that they do because 3 years is a long time in the toy market. Of course that would also help the value of existing Castle themed sets such as Kingdoms which haven't been gangbusters in the aftermarket.
  • I have no doubt that TLG is already working on a replacement for Ninjago, it may not be released for years, but better to have one ready in case Ninjago fades.

The initial indications is that 2013 is the last year of Ninjago.
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/5203/lego-discontinues-ninjago-in-2013

I thought I had also read somewhere that they had plans in the works for the next line after they end Ninjago.

Tammy
  • ^ When TLG planned out Ninjago, they clearly had a 3 year plan, between the cartoon, spinners, and the skeletons/snakes/pirates, they had a plan from day one. That doesn't mean every set was designed and finished on day one, but the ideas and overall picture was in place.

Will it end in 2013? Depends on sales for the rest of this year, but considering the rate at which phase 2 is moving (the green boxes), I doubt 2013 will be the end, it will be all too easy to come up with 3 more years of it. I have no doubt they are working on that right now.
  • Sorry if it was already posted somewhere...

• Cool minifig! but a little un-natural there are no female minifigs in this theme....