New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

13»

Comments

• I am not sure if a theme has ever been less welcome than this one, can anybody think of any? It certainly is for me...

I'm indifferent about it (never been a Turtles fan, though the designs look fun, accurate, and complex) and I know a lot of people hate it because they hate the franchise for some reason. But a lot of other people who do like TMNT seem to be very excited about it, even if many of them have a preference for particular "generations" of the franchise other than the current TV show that these sets are based on. I'll admit, TMNT and LEGO make a pretty OK match, in that both are extremely colorful brands with distinctive characters, vehicles, and settings.

I anticipate this being fairly successful for however long it sticks around, though I never try to anticipate a theme's longevity particularly when it's license-driven, since that is usually tied to the success of the source material.
  • I am not sure if a theme has ever been less welcome than this one, can anybody think of any? It certainly is for me...

Well I could stir up the Friends debate...

I'm quite excited about the sets, actually. I've only been out of my dark ages for about 8 months, so I can't really comment too much on what previous lines might've gotten more flack.

A lot of the negative comments I read are from people who either don't particularly care for the franchise itself, or grew up on the original 80's/90's cartoon and are upset that the LEGO sets don't reflect that era.

I happen to think the new show is hilarious and spend some time every week watching it with my much younger brother. For a children's show airing on Nickelodeon, I think the LEGO sets have been designed quite appropriately. (I actually expected more and was quite disappointed by the Hobbit sets however, but that's an entirely different story...) I imagine they (the TMNT sets) will be a success with the target market, though.

As an AFOL, this definitely isn't the cream of the crop in term of LEGO set design, but given the source material I can't help but think of it in a positive light.

I'll just stay over here with my rose-colored glasses. ;-)

• My eldest son loves the movie Turtles Forever, and the new show. He also loves his Lego with a passion, so I'm pretty sure he will LOVE all these sets. It's a marriage made in heaven for him. He's about to turn six, btw. :-)
  • Hi everybody,

Stumbled across this on EuroBricks. Just wanted to share it here...

Larger images of the sets we have already seen:

Rennykezy2joshbluemodern
  • ^ the top two sets look just like the preliminary pics did apart from they have printing on the bricks on them images, they look cool
  • Nice! Anyone got the prices?
  • ^ no but it won't be too hard to guess
    I'm guessing:

Kraang's Lab Escape £9.99
    Stealth Shell In Pursuit £14.99
    Shredder's Dragon Bike £19.99
    Baxter's Robot Rampage £39.99
    Turtle Lair Attack £49.99
    Shellraiser Street Chase £59.99

• edited November 2012
    This takes me back a bit. When me & my brother were young, there was a year where the first TMNT figures were red hot and impossible to get anywhere in the country! Those were the days.
  • I actually dug up all of my TMNT figures from the 80's over the past weekend. Very cool figures indeed.
  • i really liked the TMNT when i was young, but i think i will pass the lego theme...
  • I was so excited when it was announced that LEGO was going to be doing TMNT. Not so much now....
  • I truly am curious as to what my soon to be 6 year old is going to like from the releases next year. I could see him really like Kragg escape for the cool alien, turtle an pizza, and 'robot', but not necessarily liking the rest of the line.
  • As someone who's really only interested in the figures for MOC purposes... I'm disappointed that this confirms there won't be a usable Michelangelo in the first wave.
  • edited November 2012
    My best guess on US pricing. Looks like Leonardo will be the most expensive turtle to get and you have to buy most of the sets if you want to collect the 4 colors of skateboards for each turtle.

Kraang Lab Escape / 90 pcs / $12.99
    Michelangelo, Kraang, Foot Soldier

Stealth Shell in Pursuit / 162 pcs / $14.99
    Raphael, Fishface, Foot Soldier

Shredder's Dragon Bike / 198 pcs / $19.99
    Donatello, Shredder, Foot Soldier

Baxter Robot Rampage / 397 pcs / $39.99
    Raphael, April O'Neil, Donatello, Baxter Stockman, Mouser

Turtle Lair Attack / 488 pcs / $49.99
    Splinter, Raphael, Leonardo, Dark Ninja, Foot Soldier

Shellraiser Street Chaise / 620 pcs / $79.99
    Leonardo, Michelangelo, Dogpound, Foot Soldier, The Kraang
  • Well if Michael Bay turns the franchise into alien Turtles what does this do for this line?
  • ^ your welcome
  • Who else thinks we will see a poly bag with a foot soldier in? Would be another army to build. ;)
  • I suspect @tamamahm will be stoked that April made it into one of the sets. Even if she is being portrayed as a 'damsel in distress' on the box art.
  • teamladd said:

Who else thinks we will see a poly bag with a foot soldier in? Would be another army to build. ;)

Actually, I'm pretty pleased that there's essentially a foot soldier in every set. Though I will want more, the foot soldiers don't really need to be nearly as numerous as stormtroopers or the Uruk-hai.
  • y2josh said:

I suspect @tamamahm will be stoked that April made it into one of the sets. Even if she is being portrayed as a 'damsel in distress' on the box art.

:-)
    Yes, I am glad she is there. My younger siblings was highly into TMNT when I was younger, so I watched plenty of the cartoons and played the game...on his gameboy? I don't recall, but I do remember it was a ton of fun. For me to have a TMNT set, one at a minimum has to have the 4 turtles, April, Shredder and Splinter.

My recollection of the show is that April was often in distress, so while I'm not a fan of the entire 'damsel in distress' bit that is often found in entertainment, I am actually fine with it in this particular case.

Overall I'm happy she is there, although, yes, she is still a bit of a token character. They at least put her in, unlike my earlier disappointment with LOTR, and my current disappointment over the lack of Misako in the last Ninjago sets.
  • ^Actually, this 2012 version of April is a ninja-in-training, so she's not quite the 'token' female. Really, the only time she was strictly a damsel in distress was in the '87 cartoon. Personally, I prefer the 2003 series/comic version of April. She's not inexplicably a ninja, but she's also not incapable of handling herself. She just doesn't necessarily go out looking for a fight.
  • Just noticed another brilliant move on TLG's part... which is that you'll be needing to buy at least three sets to get all four turtles, as there are no two sets (even the larger ones) that will complete the team.

Diabolical.

• Shellraiser Street Chaise / 620 pcs / $79.99
    Leonardo, Michelangelo, Dogpound, Foot Soldier, The Kraang

LEGO already said the price for this set will be $59.99.
  • Y2josh, yes, I only watched that first cartoon series with my bro, so that is where my recollection is from. :-) I missed the ninja-in-training bit...it was the part I did like with Nya from Ninjago, that they made her a Samurai. All of my kids loved that.

I am also not surprised that they separated the turtles. :-) Lego has become very smart with how they put minifigs in sets.

I am not sure that this line holds much interest for me, or really will for any of my kids, but it does bring me back to some fond childhood memories.
  • My guess is this TMNT line should be fairly popular with the kids.
    For me, as a collector though, it holds little promise or interest. The sets simply don't fit in with my collecting scheme, even though I am a TMNT fan from when they originally appeared. About all I want, is to get each of the turtles, but not by having to buy these sets. I'm hoping that each of the turtles will come out individually in poly bags ($5 range) or small (under $10) boxed sets. (I can dream, can't I?)
  • What about MOCers? I recall some initial excitement over the olive green parts. How do folks feel about that now with many more photos available?
  • I was initially excited to hear about the line until I saw the pictures (love the ninja turtles). But these sets look terrible. Part of wants to believe they were mock-ups and not actual product to be released. Easily some of the crappiest looking sets ever in my opinion - and it hurts to say that.
  • i recently bought this and i put the set together last night or tried to, and found the instructions went from 1-20, then starterd over at 5-20, then went to #34, so i missed half of the vehicle. is there a site that has the full instructions up yet?
    thanks
  • kezkez
    edited December 2012
    Video 1

Video 2

Enjoy ( hope this hasn't already been posted )
  • That is pretty cool to see a designer with all of those tattoos...
  • Some spoiler alerts for the show.
  • Anyone knows how to get hold of the instructions for this one?
    Screen shot 2012-12-16 at 2.21.24 PM.png
    639 x 479 - 571K
  • This is as close as I have come googling myself.
    (It's from this page here)
    legoza3.jpg
    576 x 432 - 47K
  • Screen shot 2012-12-16 at 2.20.44 PM.png
    479 x 638 - 603K
    Screen shot 2012-12-16 at 2.21.09 PM.png
    638 x 480 - 534K
    Screen shot 2012-12-18 at 8.56.14 PM.png
    641 x 473 - 569K
  • edited January 2013
    I made a few videos of 79100, 79101,and79102...under the name iteminspector on youtube

• Check em out and let me know what you think

• Alot more on youtube channel
  • I finally bought my first TMNT set, "Kraangs' Lab Escape". I'm impressed and feel of was a decent value for $11.99. Would be better with four figs though, since similar sets like battle packs usually come with four. They should have thrown in an extra henchmen fig.
  • Do we have a uk release date for TMNT? Can't seem to find one - Argos has 15 Feb but I am assuming S@H will have them available before then?
  • leego76 said:

Do we have a uk release date for TMNT? Can't seem to find one - Argos has 15 Feb but I am assuming S@H will have them available before then?

some are showing available @ very.co.uk