New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Has TLG been experimenting with the pattern/schedule of new set releases?

edited June 2011 in Collecting
Hey everyone, Does it seem like there is any new pattern to the way TLG is releasing the sets nowadays?

- It used to seem like they were released fairly predictably each quarter, but now it seems more staggered...
- They used to be released in every country all within a few weeks, but now some sets are withheld...
- When a wave is released, one or two sets can be missing, only to pop up a few weeks later...
- Sets that tie into movie releases obviously have their own timeline, but what is it...?

I am not talking about all the unique polybags and promos, but what is the logic of the main set releases?

Comments

• Could be intentional, however, another possibility is that their supply chain got less reliable. Maybe more JIT production and logistics practices.
  • edited June 2011
    It would make sense from a marketing point of view to stagger releases more - keeps people engaged for a longer period, and keeps the lego hype up for a larger proportion of the year.
  • edited June 2011
    Ah, yes, only time can tell...

And my immediate goal was to decide if i want to pay $$$ to get the new sets from re-sellers in Europe, or just to be patient, not knowing if they will be available here in the USA in two weeks, or in a month, or maybe not for a few months like the City of Atlantis/ Temple of Neptune?

So I just paid big Euros to order three that I want on BrickLink..... We will see how my gamble pays off..... In ten days I will have three sets, and if they show up on the shelf at TRU at the exact same time, then I will look really dumb!

Hmmm, I wonder if Lloyd's of London could write an options contract to cover my risk in this deal!! ;)
  • I'm surprised they haven't done so before. At least with regards to licensed sets. Why they didn't release more of the Clone Wars sets while the series was on, I don't know. Surely, the programme has got to give the sets an awareness boost for marketing.
  • Yes, so far, I'm guessing it is just a few small random delays caused by "just in time" production schedules, because:
    1) it only affects a few seemingly random sets,
    2) the sets are only delayed by a few weeks in a few countries, and
    3) the print catalog makes it seem like everything is being scheduled just like usual.

If they were going to stagger set release dates intentionally, then:
    1) they would do it on a bigger scale with more sets,
    2) they make the timing and pacing of it more organized each month, and
    3) most importantly, TLG would certainly just announce that kind of change officially to the AFOL community.

And on a side note, thanks to HUW for creating a forum where one can ask these questions... When I ask on other forums, I get a shocking reminder that I am actually talking to a bunch of 8-year-olds!! =)

Duty calls!

Indy Out