New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Series 10 CMF

edited March 2013 in Collecting
Hi All,

Was just looking over at argos.co.uk and cam across this image. Has anyone else seen it yet?

It looks like the golden minifigure is unique.

Cheers,
Jon

series10.jpg
812 x 374 - 151K
LostInTranslationandhejimmyp1982JosephGothamConstructionCorichoRoseLegoZombiesPenkid11MinifigsMeJennijasormadforLEGOindigoboxLukeSkywalkerkylejohnson11

Comments

• Glad to see Medusa has a snake like bottom and not a pair of legs.
    madforLEGO
  • edited February 2013
    Cool, I like the base jumper/sky diver, great expression on his face. It appears as though all the women (apart from Medusa) have legs. So no slope pieces.

It looks like we will all be felling for a top hat :)
  • Great looking series!
  • My favorite piece is probably the trendsetters phone
    UKtsumi
  • I'm guessing we'll know what it will be, but there might just be one in each tow/city
  • I love most of these. There's some really nice accessories, interesting torsos and faces and some ace new mini-wigs, both for females and males.
  • Unique gold minifigure.... let the chase begin.
  • I need to find the thread where I totally called the 'millionaire' looking gold figure :D

Not the strongest series in my opinion, but some great individual figures and parts. Think series 10 might have to be my last. Collecting all the sets is getting exhausting.
    teamladdsidersdd
  • edited February 2013
    Not sure I like the golden minifigure being a unique from a collector's POV and ethically.
    Prepare to find more opened packets and skewed boxes than ever before...

I do like the look of this set a lot though!
  • andhe said:

I need to find the thread where I totally called the 'millionaire' looking gold figure :D

Not the strongest series in my opinion, but some great individual figures and parts. Think series 10 might have to be my last. Collecting all the sets is getting exhausting.

Im tempted too, but I know Ill be wanting the next and the next...

andhe
  • I am most interested in the captain with his seagull to be quite honest...
  • edited February 2013
    teamladd said:

I meant in terms of having to complete each set. It made sense when I liked most of them, to pick up the 2 or 3 I wasn't fussed about to complete a set. But that ratio seems to be swinging the other way, so I might as well just get more of the ones I like from now on!

• andhe said:

teamladd said:

I meant in terms of having to complete each set. It made sense when I liked most of them, to pick up the 2 or 3 I wasn't fussed about to complete a set. But that ratio seems to be swinging the other way, so I might as well just get more of the ones I like from now on!

When I was first buying CMFs, I first thought to buy only the figures I liked. The collector in me though doesn't like gaps...
  • The hunt begins.

Like the look of most of those, some great looking ones like Medusa and skydiver, and the paintball guy looks cool too.
  • Is it just me or does anyone else curse the folded "instructions" sheet that always gets in the way of feeling? :)
  • Yep, it's almost like they don't want you to find the ones you want!

As an aside, I wonder how much the golden figs will end up going for?
  • Fascinated to know whether the golden minifigure will be 1 per box, or 1 per case... or even more rare!

Don't really like this approach though, aside from the gold dust nature of the SDCC figs Lego hasn't ever done too much that really promotes much scalping, sad to see it coming in now - especially when people are now 10 series in, and definitely don't want to have any gaps in their collections!
    yys4u
  • edited February 2013
    Haha, just googled "Oranges and peaches". I had not heard that story before.
    Being a librarian, I of course need a couple of those...
  • CCCCCC
    edited February 2013
    I'm liking most of them. One of my least favourite is the gold one - simply because I cannot see him fitting into MOCs (as a builder / user rather than as a collector). I think I would have preferred plain gold. If he is rare, he's probably a seller rather than a keeper.

Hawk woman is nice. Roman is OK, similar but a variation on S6, not a fan of the head, but easily changed. The admiral's hairpiece is lovely, as is the old man's. This is what is great about CMF series - new parts. Skydiver - shame he doesn't come with a polythene parachute. Native warrior, should go nicely with aztec or the indians.

I'm not a fan of the baseball player, but then I'm on the wrong continent for that.
  • mr_benn said:

Don't really like this approach though, aside from the gold dust nature of the SDCC figs Lego hasn't ever done too much that really promotes much scalping, sad to see it coming in now - especially when people are now 10 series in, and definitely don't want to have any gaps in their collections!

I think you have to remember it is still a series of 16, plus one extra.

I'm not a collector, so cannot comment on how other's will view this series. But I'd see the complete set as 16, then one extra, rather than a series of 17. I wonder what the leaflet will say.
  • mr_benn said:

Fascinated to know whether the golden minifigure will be 1 per box, or 1 per case... or even more rare! /blockquote>

Not sure exactly, but I'm hearing 5000 gold figures total. I'm guessing 1 in 10 boxes at best, it's going to be hard to find that's for sure.

• Now the big question: will it be chrome-gold or pearl-gold???
  • loving the old sea dog at the back!!
    Si_UKNZ
  • I've got the state of mind that the golden figure doesn't count for a complete series 10 set. But if I feel one out, you bet I'm buying it!
  • edited February 2013
    Diggydoes said:

Now the big question: will it be chrome-gold or pearl-gold???

Based on the picture I'm guessing Pearl Gold (Warm Gold). The golden minifigure is interesting. Nothing in his design seems like anything people will be in desperate need of for MOCing purposes, but of course he'll be like salt in a wound for completionists and will command a decent aftermarket value on account of his rarity.

I've got no problem with the concept myself-- it's really no different than the sterling silver Krana-Kal from BIONICLE, of which only 75 were produced and inserted into random Bohrok-Kal sets, or the white metal Krana-Kal, of which a more generous 5,000 were created and randomly inserted into sets from that series. Obtaining such items is meant to be a matter of luck, not skill, and the obvious intent is to create a potential bonus as an incentive for buying the sets, not to make anyone tear their hair out searching for the exclusive item.

Now, the fact that this figure can be felt for throws a wrench into the works, but it's still a matter of luck whether any store near you happens to have a box including one of the golden figures. And I don't think there's any real risk of people who understand the figures' scarcity and value tearing open a lot of bags in the stores to find the golden figure, because tearing open up to 60 minifigure bags on the off chance that one of them might have a figure so rare is preposterous, especially given the likelihood someone will notice what you're doing.

Anyway, this is a great assortment. It really shows that TLG isn't close to running out of ideas for these. Some figs are thematically similar to previous figs (i.e. the baseball fielder and the Roman officer), but they're all unique nonetheless. I can't say there's a single fig here I don't like.

It kind of bothers me that the old man's bald head doesn't have a stud on top (it'd be more compatible with previous bald figs that way), but I suppose it's necessary to allow for his printed combover.
  • I agree the pic looks like pearl gold for the chase fig, but since the hands are white I'm leaning towards chrome gold.
  • CCC said:

I'm liking most of them. One of my least favourite is the gold one - simply because I cannot see him fitting into MOCs (as a builder / user rather than as a collector).

Really? I can already envision a MOC of a shopping street, where he would fit in perfectly, along with other street-performers, musicians and buskers. As someone else, @SeijiAmasawa, mentioned, he looks like one of those people painted like statues.

But of course, if I weren't MOC'ing contemporary city-scenes, then I wouldn't see much use for him either.
  • Well Medusa, the Bumble Bee, and he Roman should be easy to feel for.
    I'm glad the chase minifigure has the top hat. It makes him unique as far as groping feeling goes for those who wish to hunt for him.
    We are expecting the packaging to be gold, correct?
  • CCC said:

I'm liking most of them. One of my least favourite is the gold one - simply because I cannot see him fitting into MOCs (as a builder / user rather than as a collector).

Really? I can already envision a MOC of a shopping street, where he would fit in perfectly, along with other street-performers, musicians and buskers. As someone else, @SeijiAmasawa, mentioned, he looks like one of those people painted like statues.

But of course, if I weren't MOC'ing contemporary city-scenes, then I wouldn't see much use for him either.
    If I had my way, those statue people would all be moved along ... buskers at least have some skill. People standing still? No thanks! Although I guess the ones that stand still at least have some talent. Some of them cannot even do that.
    peterlinddk
  • Does the mini dog come with a carry-on purse too ?
    The golden fig looks like a street pantomime guy

Quick question. I thought LEGO has a policy of no modern gun, but how come the 18th century army guy is holding a musket ? Isn't that a modern gun ?
  • CCCCCC
    edited February 2013
    ^ No, it is an 18th century musket (although looks more like a blunderbus to me)! Pirates have had similar, and others have had rifles. And canons too.

They don't do modern warfare like AK47s and so on. Although Star Wars blasters are close of course. Cowboys and Bandits also have pistols.
  • If the gold minifigure had been anyone else on the series 10 list, Lego would never hear the end of it from me; the entire cast in this series is a winner! I usually never buy an entire series but everyone in this set looks formidable.
  • Loving them for the parts! Really nice dog and seagull. And finally a bald head!
  • lulwut said:

If the gold minifigure had been anyone else on the series 10 list, Lego would never hear the end of it from me; the entire cast in this series is a winner! I usually never buy an entire series but everyone in this set looks formidable.

It is interesting to me how people have different views on series.

I find series 10 to be particular lame, blah and dull and the worst they have done in a while.

For my 6 year old, he was really disappointed, there really isn't anything he cares for at all, oh, except the one figure he actually thought was cool was the gold chase figure. Of course, I then had to explain that was the one figure we have no chance of getting. Beyond that he grudgingly thought maybe the paintball dude might be cool. Maybe the baseball guy.

Looking at it from what my kids my use to modify and play with...
    Medusa is the one character my girls will need.
    They will want the librarian and blonde for the hair for their own figures. Eh on the warrior woman.
    The old guy and sea captain and bee might be useful for parts.

All and all, right now it looks like this will be the first series they've done that I will not bother even attempting to get all of them.

Overall from a 'kid' perspective over here, series 10 is yet another dud to go with quite the dud of a year of releases.

• I wish the gold one was silver. Then I could recreate the Robot mime scene from Eurotrip!

• These look like must buys for me, hopefully that gold figure will be easy to find and if not hopefully I can buy him relatively cheap of eBay.
  • Also Unabomber head!
  • In my head, I'll have a complete set w/o the chase fig. Seems gimmicky to me.
    andhe
  • 5,000 of them, trying to think of a similar figure with equal rarity.

Maybe the chrome C3PO?

Either way, I reckon they'll go for a fair whack.
  • Chihuahua! Grandpa!
  • I'm guessing deliberately searching for the gold figure would be a waste of time. Should I feel one as I'm looking for the rest, then I'll count myself lucky, and try to resist selling it on ebay.
    Jenni
  • Am i the only one who's first thought of the chase-figure was that it looks like the monopoly mascot (you know the table top game)?!?
    legoprods
  • edited February 2013
    ^ The golden minifig lacks the mustache. My avatar on the other hand...
    GothamConstructionCojasor
  • So, basically we will be searching for a golden Colonel Klink with a top hat.
  • I love the hatchet, although I'm not too sure what is going on with that warrior's legs. On the Roman, the printing goes to the side, making the skirt obvious. For the native warrior, the tan is meant to be boots / footwear I assume, but nothing printed at the sides. So he has a small loincloth, yellow legs but from the side, he is all boots.

The old man's high waist is pretty funny too.
  • CCC said:

I love the hatchet, although I'm not too sure what is going on with that warrior's legs. On the Roman, the printing goes to the side, making the skirt obvious. For the native warrior, the tan is meant to be boots / footwear I assume, but nothing printed at the sides. So he has a small loincloth, yellow legs but from the side, he is all boots.

The old man's high waist is pretty funny too.

The tomahawk warrior's legs are meant to represent leggings and a loincloth, which were both common parts of the wardrobe for some Native American tribes. Not being an expert on Native American culture and attire, I couldn't tell you what tribe's attire this fellow is based on (if he's based on any particular tribe or group of tribes and not just a conglomerate of stereotypes) but hopefully someone more knowledgeable might chime in at some point.
  • edited February 2013
    Mohican? Judging by the hair.
    (edit after checking wikipaedia: or Pawnee/ Iroquois if you want to be historically accurate)
  • Diggin' the new figs...

-The Librarian...love the 'Shhh' on the cup and 'Origins of Species' book.
    -Grandpa...new bald head piece...yeah...something I can relate too...;)
    -Mohican...looks bad@$$.
    -House Painter...boring but useful for Town and City collector's.
    -Paintballer...like the gun and splattered graphics.
    -Warrior Woman...great looking fig. Love that shield graphic!
    -Sea Captain...nice seagull element.
    -Roman General...great looking fig. Now we have a leader to go with the Centurions.
    -Baseball Player...allright, now we have the glove element to field a full squad now.
    -Medusa...best of the bunch. Head piece is fantastic! Clash of the Titans Moc's here we come!
    -Pagliacci..."Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pagliacci."
    -Skydiver...face graphic is fun.
    -Mean Girl...hey, an iPhone element...cool.
    -Bumble Bee Girl...another fun costumed fig.
    -Tattoed Mechanic...tough guy fig. with tats on the arms. Great for the garages of Town and City.
    -General George Washington..."If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
    -Midas Figure...love to get one...hope to get one...but won't spend a ton to get one.
    murphquakeGothamConstructionCo