New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Toy Fair 2013 news

Comments

• edited January 2013
    oldtodd33 said:

So far all it says is a golden minifigure. It could just be pearl gold for all we know.

Oh I never even thought of that... now I'm depressed..
  • edited January 2013
    New castle set photos
  • edited January 2013
    New castle set photos

[Confidential images deleted by staff]
  • Also found this.... not sure if it is a first sight
    chima-ultrabuilds.jpg
    545 x 640 - 291K
  • edited January 2013
    Preliminary images! All of them have been seen before, and Mods, work your magic!
    In case you haven't heard, you aren't supposed to post preliminary images here, @Geddes
  • ^sorry i wasn't 100 per cent on rules (thought it was only watermarked images we were not aloud to post)
  • ^ If you look closely you can see they still have watermarks on them.
  • ^i see it as well sorry
  • It's in a printed catalogue I don't see them as being confidential at this point anymore. The catalogs get dispersed outside of Lego and on to retailers correct?
  • Yea my local retailer has one. I havent seen it yet
  • Bustin said:

It's in a printed catalogue I don't see them as being confidential at this point anymore. The catalogs get dispersed outside of Lego and on to retailers correct?

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/6642/leaked-confidential-pictures#latest

they are confidential until the point there are official Lego press releases.
    Retailers should not be showing the catalogue to anyone or allowing pictures of it to be taken
  • edited January 2013
    ^ Agreed.

The general rule is : if an image has a confidential stamp on it then please don't post it or link to it or the staff will delete.
  • ^ and ^^ apoligies i didnt see the stamps till they were pointed out
  • HuwHuw
    edited January 2013
    As far as I can see there is no LEGO confidential stamp on the Chima, only one of the source website bionifigs.com which is a dreadful looking French forum. I can't find the original article that references the image, though.

I will post on the home page...
  • @Huw

What are the rules as far as Toy Fair photos?
  • Huw said:

As far as I can see there is no LEGO confidential stamp on the Chima, only one of the source website bionifigs.com which is a dreadful looking French forum. I can't find the original article that references the image, though.

I will post on the home page...

This is the original news story, and the image was taken down at the LEGO Group's request, so probably not a good idea to post that as news. It's true that it has no "confidential" watermark, but the person who sent it in to Bionifigs.com didn't list their source so it could have been some unreleased catalog or other material that "escaped" from TLG's close watch just as so many unreleased figs end up sneaking out of the factory in Mexico.
  • Some more description of the Iron Man and Superman lego sets over at Empireonline.com http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p1335

Copied and pasted here for your ease.

"...two new LEGO sets suggest that Tony Stark will have to add ‘good swimmer’ to that genius-billionaire-playboy-philanthropist tag. The first sees Guy Pearce’s slick nano-tech whizz Aldrich Killian trying to shake off Iron Man and War Machine in a Miami Vice-looking powerboat. That set is called ‘Extremis Sea Port Battle’, a clue as to the importance of Killian’s Extremis virus to both Stark and the Mandarin. There’s also a strange, powered buoy marked ‘JC82’ that we can’t shine much light on.

The other kit, ‘Ultimate Showdown’, involves the Mandarin tackling Iron Man in a missile-bristling buggy. Judging by the box, it’ll be set against a backdrop of shipping containers reminiscent of Batman Begins’ dockland scrap. A third kit that we didn’t see, ‘Malibu Mansion Attack’, featured a “pale green figure” that Brick Fanatics say they weren’t allowed to know the name of..."

"‘Black Zero Escape’ ... features only Zod, Lois and Superman figures ... Man Of Steel will be a much more heavily weaponised affair than previous movie Supes, with Zod packing some heavy calibres and his own personal army. So what does the Black Zero kit reveal? Well, Lois Lane in a space pod, Supes in the air, and Zod behind some kind of complex control device. A different LEGO kit has Zod in body armour".
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/91708573@N07/8412011631/in/photostream/

Found this small image of batman board game. On the same photostream is new pics of at least 4 sets.
  • ^ Including the LOTR game too.
  • ^ And a couple SW sets too.
  • Sets shown are:

50003 Batman Game
    50006 Legends of Chima Game
    50011 Lord of The Rings Game
    31012 Creator Family House
    75019 Star Wars - AT-TE
    75018 Star Wars - JEK-14's Stealth Starfighter

It's interesting that the Batman game apparently uses cards. The Creator house looks pretty nice, but I'll reserve judgment until a larger image comes along.
  • ^If I'm honest, I've found most of the current games lacking. And in some cases the rules/instructions have just been downright confusing. The microfigs are cute, but if I was buying a child something I'd rather go for a set that has much more replay value. I think a lot of my game purchases are destined to be parted out.
  • Maybe its just me but I have not tried the games, what turns me off is any I have seen are 2-3 players, surely Lego should know the standard for a boardgame is 2-4 players.
  • andhe said:

^If I'm honest, I've found most of the current games lacking. And in some cases the rules/instructions have just been downright confusing. The microfigs are cute, but if I was buying a child something I'd rather go for a set that has much more replay value. I think a lot of my game purchases are destined to be parted out.

Someone should tell lego not to bother making any gameplay at all - just put cool pieces in them. Aren't all their games just parts packs? We played Minotaurus, Monster4, SW, frog one all just once. I'm not going to say they are bad, just that there are way better games to play.

Also Minotaurus is not so bad due to the size, but the mini ones are a pain to sit around as they are so tiny. It's like playing travel scrabble on a large table. Only you could never travel with them as you'd lose the bits.
  • My money's on chrome. Like this keychain.
  • ^^ my kids love minotaurus, city alarm and battle for hoth. Some of their games are really brilliant for younger kids when you dont have more than 20 or 30 mins spare.
  • Finally! Another respectable creator house.
  • CCCCCC
    edited January 2013
    Images from the German one are now appearing. Here is 70404 castle.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8093/8431324403_702f14b1d6_b.jpg

from the brickset flickr stream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/92090133@N04/sets/72157632649266021/with/8431324403/
  • I should read the front page before coming to the forums.
    andhe
  • ^Especially when linking to Brickset's own flickr stream.. :P

I'm excited for the figures/parts, but not so much the castle. Looks like every other castle set that has been before.
  • GIR3691 said:

My money's on chrome. Like this keychain.

My wife made these into earrings as well as the Santa keychain

• andhe said:

^Especially when linking to Brickset's own flickr stream.. :P

It didn't realise it was brickset when I posted it, a quick edit soon fixed that.
    andhe said:

I'm excited for the figures/parts, but not so much the castle. Looks like every other castle set that has been before.

If it is all panels (and it looks like it is) forming those walls, I'm out.
  • edited January 2013
    Maybe it's just me, but that castle seems like step-down in overall "coolness" from the Joust.
  • CCC said:

andhe said:

^Especially when linking to Brickset's own flickr stream.. :P

It didn't realise it was brickset when I posted it, a quick edit soon fixed that.
    andhe said:

If it is all panels (and it looks like it is) forming those walls, I'm out.
    Since I first saw this castle, I've been a big fan of it. I agree some parts (the towers on the front left and back right) are lacking in detail, but overall it seems like the choice to use more panels allows for a much more substantial-looking design than many past castles.

The gatehouse feels very formidable with those wide towers supporting it-- I can't find any other full castle sets that have a gatehouse this sturdy-looking (well, perhaps 7094, but it does that by turning the towers on either of the front corners into part of the gatehouse, and it lacks a gatehouse keep on top).

Also note the throne room, which while still rudimentary is enclosed on THREE sides-- compare that to 7946, which was open on three sides, or 7094, open on ALL sides. Some of the other towers and the gatehouse keep are all similarly well-enclosed, and we have no idea what sorts of treasures those might be hiding on the interior.

Overall, I think the panel-based walls, which to me have a comfortable sort of regularity, are an acceptable sacrifice for a castle that manages to stand out as unique compared to other LEGO castle designs of the past decade.
    y2joshTitus
  • edited January 2013
  • tensor said:

Maybe it's just me, but that castle seems like step-down in overall "coolness" from the Joust.

Yep. It's a generic kids play set. I was hoping that Lego would utilize some of the building techniques from LotR (curved walls, smaller pieces) but instead they just recylcled previous castles. Not very impressive and rather lazy.

• ^^I think the whole point of this Castle series is to aim younger than the LotR/Hobbit sets and appeal to 6 and 7 year olds more than any of us here. Agree it isn't impressive to our eyes but to a kid who hasn't seen every castle Lego has designed since the '80s and wants a new toy to play with it will be highly desirable.
  • edited January 2013
    Castle looks kind of tan. Must be the lighting. Would like those trees. Lego needs to release just a tree set.
  • My first impression on the Castle sets is that I like the Gatehouse Raid and the Gold Getaway. King's Castle is okay, but it uses way too many panels for my taste. Gatehouse Raid has connection points on the end, so it appears there is at least some connectable modularity to this theme.

In general, I don't like the heavy-handed good vs. bad. As a parent, I'd much rather see clearly differentiated but neutral factions, which can then be whatever one imagines. But I realize LEGO has done market research and the clear-cut good vs. bad apparently appeals to many kids.
  • mathew said:

Castle looks kind of tan. Must be the lighting.

Definitely the lighting. Very poor white balance.

• This week the new york toy fair is going to be on, read about some of it here
    http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/06/getting-ready-for-toy-fair/
  • edited February 2013
    Some of the 2013 sets are cool actually the cargo plane and some others, like the next creator house, at least I think that is what it was.

But getting a bit let down by the CMF's first it was move from 3 each of the 'rares' to 2 each of the 'rares' per box, now it is a chase fig that is only going to cause people to rip open the packages more if they are not sitting next to a counter...
  • I hope we see more pictures of sets to come. Does anyone know where I can find pictures on the net of the rest of the castle series coming out this August?
  • I hope we see more pictures of sets to come. Does anyone know where I can find pictures on the net of the rest of the castle series coming out this August?

Which sets are you looking for photos of? All have been shown at the Flickr link above, posted by andhe. Or, just do a Google image search for "lego castle 2013 toy fair".

• andhe said:

^If I'm honest, I've found most of the current games lacking. And in some cases the rules/instructions have just been downright confusing. The microfigs are cute, but if I was buying a child something I'd rather go for a set that has much more replay value. I think a lot of my game purchases are destined to be parted out.

I think that's why a lot of people like the board games so much. They are really cool to get on sale and use as parts. The Frog rush game i got for my B-day last year is waiting to be used and the 2 magikus sets i got on sale are together in a small container waiting to be used at some point.
  • On here: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/toy-fair-2013-lego-highlights it says that you can't take any pics of the iron man 3 sets or the man of steel sets :-(
  • The Lone Ranger sets look pretty darn awesome. Love the Calvary pack and the new train! New train looks very similar to Emerald Night.
  • I have to say overall the pricing for '13 is not too bad. Apparently, judging by the prices shown in the photos, that LEGO finally realized that the prices for the calendars were WAY too high (although they still are high for the '13 calendars).
  • ... But what a shame it isnt LotR calendar this year!