New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

You know you've got too much LEGO when..............

2»

Comments

• @Silber334 - I've already sold a few sets to family and friends, they have come over and said "gosh, we'll just do our holiday shopping at your house". :)

Maybe I should hang out a sign, "LFT - Lego for Sale!"
  • @Silber334 - I've already sold a few sets to family and friends, they have come over and said "gosh, we'll just do our holiday shopping at your house". :)

Maybe I should hang out a sign, "LFT - Lego for Sale!"
    Yeah, you should ;) You can make a fortune out of it!
  • ...when @LEGOFanTexas blushes at your most recent order!

or...

The UPS guy says - "are you in a pissing match with @LEGOFanTexas.

OR...

What is @LEGOFanTexas doing in Minnesota?
  • edited December 2011
    Christmas is a time for stepping back and thinking about things, so here's some food for thought:

You know you've got too much LEGO when..............

1. You aren’t able to use some of the spaces or furniture in your home for their intended purposes. For example: if your floors have become storage, and you can’t easily walk on them or you can’t use your kitchen to cook because all the “collections” are in the way.
    2. You aren’t able to keep your collections clean and in good condition.
    3. You aren’t able to store and/or display your collections in such a way that no harm comes to them.
    4. The “collections” are often in your way and keep you from doing things you really want to do.
    5. You can’t stop collecting, and feel like you “have” to – even if the collecting is putting you in debt, or keeping you from having other things in life that you want – like being able to have friends visit your home.
    6. You want to let go of stuff, but can’t. When you try, you get overwhelmed and go distract or soothe yourself in some other way.
    7. You are embarrassed to call in repair or other service people into your home.
    8. The collections are starting to control your life and your life is revolving around them.
    9. You find yourself feeling overwhelmed instead of overjoyed when you really look at your collections.
    10. You aren’t proud to show your collections to others.

This list is taken from Top 10 signs that you're hoarding and not just collecting, but fits rather well into this conversation, don't you think?
  • edited December 2011
    ^ Again, following Si's post re. hoarding, I thought I might share with you a program broadcast in the UK earlier this week. There are very few instances where I would laugh out loud in watching tele - even if it's a comedy, but this serious documentary left me with my jaw on the ground. Did anybody else see it? My wife feared for the future of our home whilst watching it. I don't suggest those posting pictures of their houses recently share this video with their other half!

Anyway, here it is! It's lengthy, but worth the watch!

And an extract of the first couple of minutes:-

• edited December 2011
    I saw it with my wife. Hilarious.
    It made me think that i'm not that bad...
  • "Hoarders" is a series on television here in the states. I am constantly amazed at the level of junk in most of them own (not goods, just junk). The goal of the show is intervention into the lives of these people, usually by family members calling in professional counselors that specialize in this. People can't even get into their front doors from the piles of stuff. At least boxes stack.

The worst one I saw had two or three generations of cat skeletons in her garage in the midst of all of their "stuff", where they had made their own domain.
  • The horders thing is real, I've been into a few houses that were really scary...

As for our own house, the wife is VERY happy tonight, only one pile left in the Lego room, otherwise the house is CLEAR of Lego in all the living spaces...

Take a look at our Christmas Tree! :) It is happy again...

BTW, that pile is Passenger Planes on the right, next to it is Toys R Us Trucks, then some Ninjago Skull Trucks, then a few other odds and ends.
    DSC04473a.jpg
    802 x 488 - 144K
    DSC04475a.jpg
    404 x 440 - 105K
  • ^ Ha. My Toys R Us was out of everything except like 300 passenger planes just like your living room. ;o)
  • I really thought about trying to take a picture of everything at once, what a sight that would have been...

But getting the house cleared was more important, and I really couldn't set it all up at once. Do keep in mind that I had a wife to keep happy. ;)

My wife got home at 9pm tonight after her work holiday party and she about fell down from shock, I had the couch completely cleaned off, nothing was in front of the fireplace, I had a nice fire going, a cup of tea was ready for her, the entire front of the house was cleaned up and swept. Tonight was the first time we sat on the couch in 3 days. :)

I was a hero. ;)
  • Thanks for the hoarding references. Some of these pics definitely remind me of Hoarders but odds are these guys are planning on flipping these sets to make their money back and pay for the sets they keep.
  • edited December 2011
    So I'm just trying not to let this stuff take over the house. The stacks are getting higher but I only have an eight foot ceiling in this room :(
  • Uh, halogen lights are hot . . .

Burned Diagon.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 1010K
  • So I guess I will have to open the box and determine which pieces were melted and contact Lego for replacements. Unbelievable :(
  • You are very lucky that did not start a fire...
  • Although its not a light that would be left on without someone being home, yes, very lucky indeed. Maybe this should be moved to the "You know you are buying too much Lego When" thread :P
  • ... when your fingers start to hurt and or bleed from building for too long.