New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is MVR Done? My TRU just got a new shipment.

edited December 2011 in Collecting
I stopped in at my local TRU today because I had some TRU Dollars that expired tomorrow. I did not expect much because on the day after Christmas, I stopped in an of the 3 normal Lego aisles, there was only 1/2 and aisle left and it was all a mishmosh of old City sets, some Star Wars and Cars sets. Much to my surprise today, the store had gotten a shipment of 2012 sets and included in that shipment was 6 Mill Village Raids. Now, admittedly, that was the only Kingsdom set on the shelf, but I was surprised. Does this mean that the set is not done? Plus, I ended up torn. There was also a Public Transportation Station on the shelf as well that had been a return. I ended up getthing the PTS instead of the MVR, but I wanted several copied of the MVR and hope that this indicates that it will perserve into 2012. Anyone else have thoughts or a similar experience?

Comments

• Relax; it just debuted in 2011.
  • I might have been ill advised (although I don't think so), but other than the MMV which is moving back to the Exclusive range from Hard to Find, I understood the Kingdoms theme as a whole was done.
  • Not to rain on your parade, but on the way to the airport I hit another walmart and was able to pick up 2 for half price... Not sure why walmart has them half off while TRU are getting new shipments... I thought it was being discontinued...
  • WalMart may have them half-off because the holidays are over and they're trying to clear space. A lot of stores expand their toy section before Christmas and then shrink it back down an aisle or two after the holidays to make room for other stuff.

"Exclusive" and "Hard to Find" are hardly indicators of discontinuation. More than anything they simply mean they're not available everywhere but in the age of the internet it's a lot easier to circumvent limited availability.
  • "Exclusive" and "Hard to Find" are hardly indicators of discontinuation. More than anything they simply mean they're not available everywhere but in the age of the internet it's a lot easier to circumvent limited availability.
    You'd be totally right in most other instances, only to be told outright, in the UK anyway, the MMV was shifting since it no longer had a theme alongside to support it, I took that as a fairly good indication the rest of the sets were going - the MVR included.
  • edited December 2011
    You'd be totally right in most other instances, only to be told outright, in the UK anyway, the MMV was shifting since it no longer had a theme alongside to support it, I took that as a fairly good indication the rest of the sets were going - the MVR included.
    That means they're not continuing the theme; it doesn't mean that it's going away. It's been a while since they discontinued the Prince of Persia line and yet you can still get them in a variety of places: toy/department stores (saw them at a WalMart just last week), S@H and the Lego Stores themselves.

• ^ PoP still lingers because of its lack of popularity with stock left in their warehouse. By including every Kingdoms set in the current sale and the theme having lost its shelf space in the Brand Store I visited yesterday......! Same with Atlantis - gone!

We'll just have to wait and see. I didn't get the Mill Raid and now regret it, so I hope you're right. BTW, if anybody in the uk found them in the sale and has a spare, I'd be very pleased to hear from you. :-)
  • ^ Ha! Didn't I tell you to let Sarah buy it you for Xmas when it was cheap on Amazon.fr? Silly flump...
  • My MVR that I ordered on the first day of the sale from S@H (in the UK) was cancelled days later - GRR.
  • I dunno about MVR, does LEGO.com still show them available (I know it was listed as 'Sold out'? If not then maybe TRU is finishing clearing out the warehouse...
    I guess it would not be the first time that TRU put something on their shelves not on LEGO's site.
  • I think this has gone. Very short shelf life, but probably to do with the LOTR signing getting ready for that fantasy/castle series.
  • Gone...get it now if you want it...
  • edited January 2012
    ^ Is it just me, or does that link not work? When I click on it, all I get is this discussion again :S
  • ^ Same for me
  • Thanks @Matthew, I did see that other thread before. I was hoping there were going to be more details.
  • edited January 2012
    that response from LEGO is cryptic at best, and possibly misleading at worst. Heck, they could be talking about Joust and Joust only. Notice they also referenced Castle, and not Kingdoms, which is what was asked about.

Who knows, but the lack of leaked pictures thus far - unlike all the other themes - is not a good sign.
  • I'm on the 'gone and not coming back any time soon' side of the fence.

However, I spoke three or four different brand shop staff this afternoon. I asked about the availability of the Kingdoms sets in the sale. As expected, I was told that with the exception of the one or two left on the shelf, they had all been sold and that their stock was not being replenished, "They've been discontinued". BUT, he did go on to say that more sets were to be released later in the year. ??? I pushed and pushed for an explanation and from initially making a clear statement, he was later reduced to a "well, it's just a rumour, I can't say any more".

Now, make of that what you will. I am still of the opinion that they're gone for a while, but his behaviour certainly made me think again for a minute.
  • ^ he could have been talking about LOTR sets perhaps?

My experience with store staff is they generally know less than I do about upcoming stuff.
  • This would all point to a new line in the 2nd half of the year, with the current sets being discontinued...seems like a very short run, but there is precedent for it. Plus we got a lot of "non-combatant" sets in this last wave with MVR and Blacksmith that maybe were not good sellers from a kids' perspective.
  • MVR might be one of those sets that out of the blue catches everybody out. I wouldn't be surprised to see this push up on the secondary market. It's a nice set that compliments MMV and Joust really well.
  • edited January 2012
    ^^^ I questioned whether he meant LotR, but he knew the difference.

I would generally agree with your comment re the staff, although there are handful that do know more than they let on and are quite savy. This guy sounded extremely dim, BUT, I sensed a little something behind what he was saying. Not enough to persuade me altogether, but enough to put the tiniest amount of doubt in my mind.
  • I decided not to chance it. I had TRU dollars that brought the sets down to RRV, so I boght both of them that were left.
  • edited January 2012
    with the current sets being discontinued...seems like a very short run, but there is precedent for it
    I think this is going to become the "new normal", particularly for non-licensed themes and non-direct items, but probably licensed as well. LEGO doesn't want to have loads of stuff sitting around to heavily discount like PQ, PoP (yes, licensed, but point remains), and LEGO, retailers and consumers all want fresh product hitting the shelves as frequently as possible to drive and hold interest and maximize sales.

Six month product lifespan is likely the goal, so my guess is they are scaling down production runs, with the idea they can be agile on the back end and produce more if warranted.
  • Yes MVR is gone for good. Grab it while you still can....it is an excellent set that had a very short run.
  • @dougts - you might be right, but then explain MMV and DS. :)

Ok, there are exceptions to every rule, but still... I think 1 year for a set is reasonable, 2 if popular. More than that seems to be overkill, but what do I know?
  • easy - MMV and DS were both released much earlier, and in my mind this is a strategy that appears to have started with 2011 releases. Both those sets are also Exclusive/Direct sets, which I indicated are a likely exception to this strategy. I would expect 1xxxx sets to continue to have a shelf life of 1.5 to 3 years.