New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

VIP Minifig Set

Comments

• ^but if they get like the Zombie or Robot, I think it'll be a good deal.
  • If they get the Zombie people will go nuts! Thanks for the heads up about the Spaceman. I could use more of him!
  • yea I've been waiting for the zombie for a while. The forestman, clown, magician and I think a couple others have been out for a WHILE, even before June, and I think even before May. The ones that are new to me are ninja, spaceman, wrestler, Indian, and caveman. Cheerleaders probably new too.

I recall when they first arrived at the BAM bar that someone mentioned they had talked to a sales associate and they said they would get new elements every quarter. I can't imagine what could happen with the zombie though...I can see people get packs of just 15 zombie heads. It could be crazy...
  • Awesome stuff for sure :) Voted for Samurai personally.
  • I don't understand why, but I did not get the e-mail chance to vote. I am a VIP member.
  • ^-- make sure your email filters are not blocking the email.
  • ^ I have no filters on at all.
  • Hello everyone,

I was recently contacted by the consumer services team here at LEGO who have been receiving a lot of questions regarding the email blast mentioned in this thread. It seems that most of the questions are centered around who was or who was not sent the email and why, and who will be eligible to purchase the set once released. They've asked me to post here to help field some of these questions.

The email was sent out to those who have fully registered VIP cards (this includes linking your VIP account to your online LEGO.com ID) and that have set their account to "opt-in" to email communications from LEGO. They have also suggested browsing your spam folder which may have filtered out the email. The 5 most popular figures will be released in a set available to all VIP members (registered or not) in 2012. An exact release date and/or price has not been released at this time. From my understanding this will be a simple minifig pack so I wouldn't expect any additional pieces or brick built scenes as was mentioned earlier in the discussion.

I hope that this information helps.

Thanks,

Kevin Hinkle
    LEGO Community Relations Coordinator -North America
  • edited July 2011
    ^ Thanks @Kevinhink - I've got to say though, I'm a fully registered VIP member and I've not had the email - I've checked my junk/spam emails and nothing! I've received plenty of LEGO emails but nothing regarding this. My LEGO.com ID is the same as my username here if you fancy checking it out for me?
  • ^ Same here.
  • @flump6523 and @Yellowcastle have you checked your "email subscriptions" status on your LEGO VIP account? I just checked mine and I thought I was subscribed to any/all news, but I was not included in a few categories.

Kevin Hinkle
    LEGO Community Relations Coordinator- North America
  • Kevin,

After reading your comment I went to the web site and tried to link my e-mail to the VIP account. First of all it is not clear exactly how to do this, you have to look very carefully for the link to "Manage your LEGO Newsletter subscriptions". When I did Step 1 which was enter my email, it took me to the screen where I could select which categories to sign up for. I was already signed up for all the e-mail categories and it said no changes were made. So to me this linking is rather confusing. I think I had already linked everything correctly and still no e-mail.
  • I'm sure it's just a glitch.
  • Got the email and voted for the Mime. Since the head is not standard color (white) plus 2 more white heads. And the arms have prints.
    But it was hard to choose from a lot of wants. LOL.
  • ^ooh good one, I actually like the Mime a lot, granted there's no army building potential, its still an awesome minifigure that stunned me when I saw it.
  • If based on Kevinhinks notes in releasing the 5 most popular minifigs then if it is priced at 3 dollars/minifig that will be around 15 dollars. Hmmm.. now the question, How many can a VIP member buy? Hope it comes with a good display box or something.
  • I just got an email from LEGO about the VIP minifigure set.

"Ta-Dah! We are delighted to announce the line-up for the VIP Exclusive LEGO® Minifigures set, to be released in summer 2012. We took the results from our vote poll back in July last year and wherever possible, selected the characters that our VIPs wanted brought back - this time with some unique colored elements! So… please give a big round of applause once again to friendly Fisherman, mysterious Elf, shadowy Space Villain, kooky Gorilla suit guy, and last but not least, mischievous Mummy!
    Over the coming months we'll be providing further details on how to go about ordering your exclusive set, so be sure to keep checking your VIP Newsletters! "

Are they kidding? Where is the Zombie?!
  • Here is a screenshot from the email. You have to look really close to see the unique colored elements.
    VIP-set.jpg
    595 x 372 - 59K
  • Bluelion - you beat me to it, I just posted the same thing (and killed it too!)

All I can really see for the different elements is the gold scorpion rather than the red one that was originally there...

Crazy choices though. I suspect a fan favourite list would have been...

Zombie
    Spartan
    Elf
    Viking (or something from series 4!)
    Royal Guard/Evil Dwarf

Although the Roman from series 6 would probably be a shoe-in somewhere too - just thought that a 'best of' would take the most in-demand from each series! Odd...
  • Like no offense to the mummy, I'm sure he's a nice guy but who would vote for him more than the Zombie?!?
  • Awesome!!!

Another thing I don't have to buy! ;)
  • ^ lol

Is it really only the scorpion that is a different color?
  • Why does this set feel so much like a move that late 90's TLG would make? What an appalling set. There are times when it pays NOT to listen to your customers!
  • LOL.... well, at least there's one set of minifigs I won't fret about getting. ;oP
  • This is total BS, man. Are they really trying to pass overstock inventory from Series 3 as a greatest hits set?
  • ^Yup...it's probably surplus.
    Should've made Battle Packs from the 'warrior' type figs. With various weapons.
  • @brickmatic...I think it's the gold scorpion, the fish and hat from the Fisherman and I think the Cyborg has all black arm and peg leg instead of the original dark pearl gray (but not sure based on the pic).
  • When even a self-confessed CMF-aholic like me is not interested in this set, there's only one way to describe it: epic fail.
  • Underwhelming IMO. Pass.
  • I want a recount.
  • Excellent. My votes worked. Thank you LEGO for not lowering the value of my Zombies and Spartans. Elf is returning of course for LotR.
  • I couldn't help but think of this classic line when reading the email today:

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"
  • If it's true that LEGO is using overstocked/left over parts from Series 3, then does this mean that Series 3 parts are not going to be showing up in the BAM bins like Series 1 and 2?
  • @Zathras...LOL...don't you just love A Christmas Story! Very apropos.
  • If it is just a set of the dive figures I won't be interested either. Though it might reduce the bricklink price on the Elf which could be nice.
  • This set is going to bomb so hard. I already have a surplus of most of these figures and the mummy goes for less than cost price on ebay.

I can't see these being the ones either kids or adults would have voted for. And nothing from series 1 or 2?? As if.

LAME-O!
  • But if all the figs were going to be from series 3 why did they just not say this is only for series 3??
    Just like the posts say on the main brickset.com page, this is fishy.
    You cannot tell me that a majority of people did not want series 1 figs or even series 2 figs? If I'm not mistaken this vote was held after series 4 had just come out, meaning most should have had plenty of time to still find Series 3 figures ( as that had to be the least popular series among all the series to begin with.)
    Just very disappointing from LEGO and the sad thing is they probably will still sell a bunch of them which will validate their absurd claim that these really are sought after...

• One problem i see though is that bit about 'substitute for a runner up fig' - let's hope they don't ignore our votes in favour of another skateboarder filler!

Well, I guess I called it. I just knew that clause had been inserted as an excuse to ignore the votes. HAH! How sad is that marketing department getting? Pathetic.

• I normally opt to give people of the doubt, but this is so obviously rigged that it's... well, disheartening. For shame, LEGO. And I'm not even a minifig collector.
  • Like no offense to the mummy, I'm sure he's a nice guy but who would vote for him more than the Zombie?!?
    I would. The zombie is actually my vote for the second least-interesting of Series 1 (behind the awful wrestler). Zombies just don't interest me the least bit. Mummies on the other hand are always cool.

As for this being "rigged" I tend to believe it. I remember when they did let fans pick the next release of the legends and I can't say I knew anyone (in real life or on various forums/websites) who voted for the winner. There were some claims then that Lego asked the fans and then simply did what they wanted to anyway, claiming it was the fans' choice. Then there's the animated film contest they held in which numerous skilled animators submitted films and Lego chose particularly lame and crudely animated (I use that term lightly) efforts that weren't anywhere near to being capable of the title "mediocre" much less good or even the best.
  • edited January 2012
    Remember the power of children/parents voting in huge numbers...

As much as we AFOLS may think we have influence here, kids were probably voting 20 times as much as we were.

Brent
  • ^ There's no hope for the next generation then! ;)

Seriously, do kids love fishermen? Seems a very strange choice from kids or AFOLs. After assuming the poll was pukka, now you've all persuaded me it was massaged a bit to get rid of excess stock.
  • I can only see the fisherman if those who voted wound up never getting one (due to the early release of Series 3 only having 2 per box), The elf is interesting, I mean I know people wanted more of those, but more than the Spartan or even Robot from the series 1, (OR zombie), but the mummy, gorilla suit guy and Cyborg??
    I dunno.. I guess kids are kids, if kids really voted for these, or their parents saw them voting for the Zombie and said no and changed it before they could enter it :-)

My Friends daughter wanted a Zombie to complete her 'Monster' collection for LEGO collectible figs so I know that kids do want these too.
  • Disappointing selection actually, there's only a single one of the minifigs I'd actively like more of (Elf). There's a second minifig I wouldn't mind more of as well (Mummy) and the Cyborg almost hits that catagory (but not quite). Gorilla suit is no, don't really want more and the Fisherman? he's in the why the heck was he chosen for this? Then I reread the blurb Huw quoted
    " We took the results from our vote poll back in July last year and wherever possible, selected the characters that our VIPs wanted brought back - this time with some unique coloured elements! "

Weak result LEGO, very weak...
  • The only way I would purchase one of these is at a big discount (<$10.00)... and even then I'm not sure. All I want is the elf... too bad you can't just get a pack of 5 elves, 5 spartans, 5 dwarves, etc.
  • I found both sets tonight at the Wauwatosa, WI store. I picked up the "VIP Collectable Minifigure Set". I can take a picture of it tomorrow if you'd like.
  • I'd love a pic of the Minifigure set! :)
  • Does that mean the VIP set will be £9.99? Just a shame it isn't better figs! I seriously can't believe that the mummy was voted in, but not a single series 1 or 2 figure...