New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How does everyone else store their collection?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    You can stack several feet of Legos IF you put them back in the lego shipping boxes. Amazon shipping boxes are less resilient, and may only go a couple feet without buckling. I try to go high instead of wide, and you can go up to 8 feet at least. There is another thread that refers to ways of storing sets in more detail:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/51/how-does-everyone-else-store-their-collection/p3
  • I know it's not particularly scientific, but I find that storing MISB boxes under the bed keeps them in excellent condition. :-D
  • ^ Right up until the kids trampolining on the 'big bed' go through the slats! :o)
  • ^ Yeah, right, blame the kids :)
  • :oD You got me! *Actually laughing*
  • ^In our case, we would have to fight off dust bunnies to take'em back.
  • ^ I hope your wife doesn't read this. :-)
  • ^She would just say that I am as capable of fighting the bunnies as she is (which is technically correct). :-)
  • ^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^
    ^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^
    very funny! If I ever went through the bed I would squash about 10-15 MISB lego sets. It would be a disaster!!
    I do keep them wrapped in store bags to avoid dust bunnies. :-D
  • I got some large 'moving' boxes at Home Depot and store my sets in those. They also have medium sized boxes that I use. They are cheap for their size. I think I bought 6-8 of each size. They helped a lot. I am able to stack my LEGOS about 6 ft high by putting sets in the HD boxes. Some larger LEGO sets are taller than the HD boxes, but they fit width and depth wise, so the HD boxes give a lot of support. I have not noticed any LEGO boxes warping, being crushes, dented, from being stacked this way.

And, yes. When I have been fortunate enough to have LEGOS shipped inside the LEGO cardboard boxes (like the DS, MF, and a few other sets) I have left those LEGOS in the LEGO cardboard boxes, because they fit the LEGO sets perfectly and provide excellent support.

It would be great to have a contact at WM or TRU and get LEGO cardboard boxes, but I doubt you could get an employee to give them to you unless they knew you.
  • Depends on the set, how you stack it... and also how much room you have to work with. Looking at @LegoFanTexas's stacks of MMVs and Fire Brigades made me cringe, personally, as those bottom boxes are more than likely going to warp badly. Four Death Stars stacked one on top of the other led to a pretty devastated bottom box, and that's only about sixty pounds of pressure on probably the heaviest duty box LEGO offers.
    Then you will REALLY not like me now... :)

I restacked the closet, needed to get more in there to make room in the downstairs closet...

That is a pile of 10 Death Stars stacked on top of each other, with a ISD on top. :) (and yes, behind it is now a stack of FB from floor to, well, that tall)

As for restacking them only 2 feet tall, that would take a ton of floor space... I could stack them vertically, but then the bottom of the boxes would bow out. I guess I could line the closet wall with cardboard and try and stack them with pressure from wall to wall, but that would be hard to do in that closet.

I have learned the hard way that you should never stack Lego boxes against the wall, the latex paint will stick to the boxes, so everything in that closet is just slightly away from the wall.

One thing that I'm considering doing is to pre-box all of them... I have 24x16x4" and 24x20x4" boxes from ULine that fit MMV and FB perfectly with a wrap of bubble wrap both ways around the boxes... If I box them all up now and stack those boxes in there, I won't be able to get as much in the closet, but they'll also be better protected...

Fun projects... ;)
    DSC04690.JPG
    641 x 1640 - 359K
  • ^ Yup, as I mentioned, I 'pre-box' using the Home Depot boxes. They generally fit most large LEGO boxes depth and width wise, so I don't have to support the sides. Course, there is extra cost in the boxes, but something has to give. Either you build shelves (even more costly) or you don't stack as high (not a good option) or you have boxes damaged in some way. One plus side, the 'pre-box' boxes can be reused over and over.
  • I concur that LEGO boxes generally hold up better when stored vertically (standing upright) to avoid bowing. All my sets in long term storage are stood upright in cardboard boxes. The goal is for the walls of the cardboard box to take all the weight, of course, but if the walls don't line up perfectly and there is pressure across the entire top of the box, at least there is a multitude of LEGO boxes enclosed within to support it like columns rather than the face of a LEGO box which would definitely crease or bow it.
  • And, since I happen to be reorganizing and compacting my boxes at the moment, I'll rant that I hate with every fiber of my being that TLG doesn't adopt a more standard system of box sizes. I think they could get away with 10 or fewer different box sizes and still have their entire line look diverse when on shelves.

It would save so much time, effort, and space if I could expect a standard and devise five or so boxing configurations that maximize storage.
  • ^It would also save me the frustration of having to deal with thirty different sizes of shipping boxes. If you have the boxes LEGO ships in, great. But when I have to use my own, I find that I either have to keep a ton of box varieties in stock, or just stock only the largest box and go crazy on the packing material. I find that continually ordering the correct box size is cheaper... but still very annoying.
  • "How many LEGO Death Star boxes can you stack...."

Sounds like a job for Myth Busters!
  • ^Or Mr. Owl...
  • @rocao and @y2josh - I agree completely about the box sizes. Since 95% of my sets are unopened, its a pain the butt that the boxes are not more uniform. There are some sets I've begun to dislike simply because they mess up my storage plans....I'm talking to you super thick Toy Story Army Men and you super thin Bank and Money Transfer. Don't even get me started on the Custom Garage or Fantasy Castle! :o)
  • Abnormally thick or thin are annoying, but manageable. On the other hand, the boxes for 8877 Vladek's Dark Fortress and 7662 Trade Federation MTT are both unjustifiably large at approximately 25.5" x 15" (and they aren't the same size, either!).
  • Shipping boxes take up way too much room to use IMO. Some boxes stronger than others but I think I go about a dozen max tall
  • ^^ Totally agree, I had to sell Vladeks because storing it was doing my head in. Same goes for the previous police station.
  • After seeing the Gorm shelves that @Yellowcastle is using, I went the same route. Cheap, light, easy enough to put together (except I was really wishing I had a driver on my drill for the hexhead bolts/screws instead of just a socket wrench).

A few photos of the setup:

And one of my Lego collection:

• Best use of shelves ever!
  • edited February 2012
    ^^^oops :-)
    002.JPG
    900 x 1200 - 298K
  • edited February 2012
    ^ I was about to comment on the inevitable creasing to your boxes, but then noticed your rafters. "Oops" indeed.
  • edited February 2012
    ^^^^ Wow, thats some collection you've got there! I notice you have the highly sought after PBB on the bottom shelf. And it seems to be MSIB as well!! Lucky lucky lucky you.

^^^ Surely PBB deserves a shelf of its own?

^^ My loft looks very similar except all in plastic boxes, and stacked even higher :)
  • edited February 2012
    well if people have to much lego I nobely volunteer myself to look after peoples sets for a small fee. LFT i can look after at least 4 of those death stars
  • Personally I wouldn't store any Lego in the loft, as that's where you get the biggest changes in heat over the course of a year. Very cold to red hot. I guess most people don't have a choice, but there is no guarantee there isn't some affect on the Lego inside over a long period of time.
  • edited February 2012
    ^It is actually on several shelves bolted to the eves, but it is the junk pile so no matter about storing it in the loft.
  • edited February 2012
    ^^^^ Wow, thats some collection you've got there! I notice you have the highly sought after PBB on the bottom shelf. And it seems to be MSIB as well!! Lucky lucky lucky you.
    Lucky indeed! And I'm sorry to all those that PM'ed me, the set is not for sale. Yes, the Pink Brick Box is MISB (I'm talking LFT-standard-grade mint), no blemishes, nice sheen, and no scuffing (not even on the strap, mind you), so I can't part with such a beauty at this time.

• I found that the plastic frame inside of Lego advent calendars work well for sorting smaller parts, and can even be stacked. The plastic boxes of creator and racer models, e.g. 8302 or 5864, can also work well.
    Bigger parts I stick together (if possible) and store inside of Lego boxes. Again, the advent calendar boxes work well because they're comparatively manageable and have a lid. You just need to cut out the calendar doors.

Then again, my collection isn't more than a few ten thousand pieces. ;)
  • Lucky indeed! And I'm sorry to all those that PM'ed me, the set is not for sale. Yes, the Pink Brick Box is MISB (I'm talking LFT-standard-grade mint), no blemishes, nice sheen, and no scuffing (not even on the strap, mind you), so I can't part with such a beauty at this time.
    Don't be silly, everything is for sale... The price is the only issue... :)

Reminds me of my favorite joke:

Man: Will you sleep with me for 1 million dollars?
    Woman: Heck yea I will!
    Man: Ok, how about for $50?
    Woman: What? No, what kind of girl do you think I am?
    Man: We've already established what you are, now we're just negotiating price.

:)
  • ^ Love that "Churchill" joke.

@tk79 - that final photo was the highlight of my morning. :D
  • If you are storing for re-sale does anyone open the Death Star outer cardboard box it is packed in to check on the condition of the Lego box inside? Or do you keep it closed?

• You mean the shipping box? I've checked the box of one Death Star and left the other two untouched. That was mostly to just look at the box, I'm not too anal about my box conditions. I'm not going to return any if they don't meet other people's optimal mint in box requirements.

@tk79, nice shelving there. I got a few gorms of my own. I quickly filled them up with the lego I already had and now I'm forced to conserve space before I run out. It's amazing how fast you can run out of space. :-(
  • My turn. Part 1 - When we started buying Lego about 11 years ago for my son, we would not keep the box. We put all the pieces for one theme in a HUGE ziplock. I thought we had a decent collection, about 10k pieces. Part 2 - About 3 years ago, I became a police officer. As a joke and a "present" to me, I bought the Police Station #7744. When my wife didn't know what to get me for Christmas 2 years ago, I got a bunch of police Lego. We did the same thing, no box and all pieces in a Rubbermaid container. Part 3 - Got back into Lego, big time. Now we break down the boxes, all sets go in their own zip lock and placed into a container by theme. Since October 2011, we are up to + 22k pieces. I think we're going to continue on that path having the pieces divided by sets in their own bag and placed into a container by theme.

I did mention to my wife that it would be fun just to dump every piece we had to make a large pile, mix them up and build everything again. :) Isn't that the fun of Lego??
    lucian
  • ^ If you're seriously entertaining the idea, do it now before it becomes utterly, hopelessly impossible :P
  • I did mention to my wife that it would be fun just to dump every piece we had to make a large pile, mix them up and build everything again. :) Isn't that the fun of Lego??
    Funny you should say that. Since I started this thread, I have undergone quite an overhaul of my collection. I am in the middle of separating all of my sets into the piece type, and putting each type into their own container. I'm currently up to around 35 small Sterlite plastic bins (for pieces such as individual plate sizes, studs, etc), 12 medium sized bins (for more common bricks, wheels, animals), and 4 large bins (I put all pirate ship pieces in one, airplane pieces in one, train track and pieces in one, and minifigs bagged up by theme in one). This has been quite strenuous, but once I am done, I am looking forward to MOCing much much more often.
    lucian
  • edited March 2012
    ^ I just did the same with the Sterilite snap handle bins. I like the 3 flatter bins vs the deep ones. Easier to sift through the shallow ones. Think I currently have it sorted into ~ 20 of the 9x11x3-ish ones, 10 of the ones half that size and probably 15 of the smallest ones. Having things sorted definitely makes it easy to find stuff. Now I just need to find a good shelf/rack system to keep them on so I'm not moving a pile of them every time I need one at the bottom of a stack.
  • edited March 2012
    ^ I think I might get those Gorm IKEA shelves everyone else has gotten, but use them for my bins. It's a pain to have to move a pile of bins to get to the bottom one...and I'm afraid I'll tip over the pile one day, and have 1x1 plates and tiles everywhere to pick up.
  • I saw on YouTube a video of someone's basement. I've been trying to find the video since but can't!! The person had along one wall a shelf system. It was open and the shelves were the height of the container they were using to store. The bins were all the same size and LET ME TELL YOU...the bins were not empty!! It was quite impressive...
  • ^^ I've knocked a stack of mine over multiple times and so far these latch handles have held. I definitely don't wish for the day they fail.
  • What's the best way to store sticker sheets from a set?
    Right now when I pull them from a box, I place between books to flatten.

What's the best way to preserve them?
  • ziplock or comic book sleeve is my preferred method.
  • What's the best way to store sticker sheets from a set?
    Right now when I pull them from a box, I place between books to flatten.

What's the best way to preserve them?
    I usually keep them with the instructions if I'm not going to apply them, in a binder with plastic sleeves.

^^ I've knocked a stack of mine over multiple times and so far these latch handles have held. I definitely don't wish for the day they fail.
    I knocked mine over yesterday, and the latches held thank God...
  • I store my LEGO pieces in the large buckets they come in, sorted by brick type in smaller containers within the large. When I use up a sufficient amount of bricks to free up a bucket, I re-purpose it as LEGO planter for my houseplants or use it for storage in my pantry. My houseplants LOVE the buckets, and they come with built-in drainage holes in the bottom! I use the lids under the buckets to catch the water.
  • ^ Are there certain Lego tubs that your plants prefer over others?
  • Well,they seem to love the pink buckets that the "Girls" sets come in!
    I add mini-figs and other little decorations, too.
    Sort of a LEGO garden!
  • I'm curious if anyone hangs their polybags like they often do at stores. I'm not even sure where to look for those types of long hooks, but I'd like to hang them by the polybag holes rather than stuff them in a box/drawer.