New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Which sets make for nice pieces of art? best for display?

2»

Comments

• This is how I display my Minifigures - I have 6 more Shadow boxes to build so I'll be adding to this wall soon.

LEGO Room - Minifigure display

The Star Wars Case #1:

LEGO Minifigure display

Close up of the CMF case. I was a little haphazard in my placement of their accessories. I think I need to standardize which hand and angle they're holding objects because it's a little busy.

LEGO Minifigure Display
  • I gotta say it again, I love your CMF and SW minifig display cases!
  • ^ I too love these cases!
    Are the shelves made of Lego or are they wood with minifig stands on?
  • edited January 2012
    I've noticed that there are primarily 3 groups of people who like the Minifigure display cases:

1. AFOLs
    2. Little boys
    3. Mothers of little boys who like the idea of not STEPPING on random minifigs.

Anyways, @princedraven - the shelves are made of moulding/trim from a local DIY store (Home Depot in the US). It was many meters long and I had them cut it down to size to fit the Shadowbox. I then spray painted black the individual "shelves" and rested them on LEGO bricks down the sides of the case (secured with acid free scrapbooking adhesives).

I did not cut or nail a single thing to make those shelves. :D
  • edited March 2012
    Hey guys; I'm pretty new to collecting Lego (well, I've only been an AFOL for a couple months since I got back into it) and the most expensive set I currently own is 7288; pretty humble collection, I know!

Anyway, in the coming months when I get a cash injection I'm planning on getting a much larger set. Whilst I'm interested in themes such as AQ, and the City trucks, I want something that's going to look really nice on display. I'm certainly leaning towards Tower Bridge; but I wanted the opinions of you guys who own some of the bigger sets, and
    a) which have the best building experiences
    b) which look nicest on display

I also love the Imperial Shuttle, but other than that, I'm not so keen on UCS.

So, any ideas?
  • Ones i have which generate the most interest disply wise are
    Imperial Flagship
    Tower Bridge
    Any Modular
    Creator Lighthouse
    DeathStar

• I think we've had this thread before, maybe a couple months ago.

the above list is pretty good for current (and recently retired in the case of IF) sets. I'd add past sets like Grand Carousel, Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower if you are looking to acquire older stuff and really spend some money. The VW Camper Van displays well also - some of it is obviously taste. Any of the bigger Creator Houses aren't bad.
  • I get a lot of comments on the 4999 turbine and the 21100 deep sea sub, both of those models i built using bricklink if your open to ordering pieces.

If you only want new sets the 10219 and 10231 look pretty good on display but i cant say anything on the building experience because i havent built them, yet.
  • Imperial shuttle, imperial flagship and most modulars. Just saw the new townhall in stratford a that's a nice one aswell.
  • The latest set of Kingdoms, 10223 Kingdoms Joust is a nice one too.
  • I'm surprised no one has mentioned Emerald Night.
  • Emerald Night is very nice... it makes a nice display with some minifigs added to make a busy train station. me, i mostly display Technic stuff... which i know isn't for everyone.
  • edited March 2012
    10231 Shuttle Expedition is an amazing looking set. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10231-1

The main shuttle is fun to build, the fuel tanks can get a bit repetitive though.
  • @ goosebogey.

I have been considering this set for a Moonraker MOC. I know comparisons are generaly frowned upon on the site, but I would be interested to get a view from anybody who owns both 10231 and 10213.

Which set is better? They look so similar!!!

Rich
  • they are essentially the same set, with minor modifications due mostly to stability reasons
  • I really like the holiday sets. The winter sets are not particularly big, but when the last three are put out together, they look great. It also lends to customization and adding your own features and design. we created a ski hill for it.
    The blurry image of the haunted house is looking sweet, and would make a nice Halloween display piece.
    Beyond everything people mentioned above, I think sets like Medieval Market and Diagon Alley would blend together, and look very nice as a display set.
  • We just finished this and I have to say the SSD looks freaking awesome displayed. I'm also pleased we finally found a real use for that coffee table. :D

UCS: Super Star Destroyer
  • edited March 2012
    ^ Did you fish that all out of grab bags, or was it a purchased set?

edit: nm, I see the retail box in your photostream
  • We thought about trying to build it from the grab bags ...which lasted 30 seconds.
  • ^ didn't someone complain that building it from numbered bags was too easy?
  • Yup! Easy mode too easy! Hard mode too hard. There's no pleasing some people!
  • @littletoki - I love the way you present and display your models within your decor. Very classy!!
  • @littletoki - I love the way you present and display your models within your decor. Very classy!!
    Agreed!

I really hope @littletoki will make an album of all her decorative uses of Lego. I have a very Lego tolerant wife that loves to build, but she has put the foot down when it comes to using Lego as centerpiece displays. I hope I can make her change her mind by showing her all those amazing solutions!
  • Thanks guys but it doesn't always look like that. Right now, there are huge piles of containers and bins in the dining room that need to be sorted.

@frymedhatt - can you negotiate a few places (start with one?) in the house where you can display something? Then rotate the display model out every few weeks. Once she starts getting used to seeing Lego on display, you can slyly add another small model somewhere else. ;)
  • From what i've seen of the current pictures it seems like the UCS-Artoo will also be a nice display-piece! Instantly recognizable(not even by Star-Wars fans), lovely functions and a nice size!
  • I think any set can be a used as nice piece of art. It depends on how you display it, and also the eyes that are viewing them (everyone has their own eye to art).

Of course, alot that has been posted are good examples of the standard choices for good display sets. Ships (air and water versions) and trains seems to be popular choices.

I think MOC's are always good choices. (1) It's your own creation. Someone visiting may be familiar with Lego sets and see yours and say "Hey, I've never seen this one..." (2) Can be an even more of a conversational piece, because you made it yourself.

toki, I like your CMF display choice. I've seen that type of display used on other collectible items. It has a very clean look.
  • Tower Bridge is truly a great display choice. We have it in our living room and everyone that comes over is drawn to it immediately. Currently I am trying to talk my wife into displaying the elegant and stately (IMO) Imperial Shuttle, but it is going to be a tough sell as she despises Star Wars :(
  • Currently I am trying to talk my wife into displaying the elegant and stately (IMO) Imperial Shuttle, but it is going to be a tough sell as she despises Star Wars :(
    *Gasp....................no...