New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO Round Robin

124»

Comments

• I'm game for two too.
  • ^ Put me on the list for both if a 2nd starts.
  • I'm good for the second too.
  • I'm in !!!!
  • I'm in for both boxes!
  • @Savage_steel ive sent you my address as your starting the uk one

@jadedanc mwhahahahaha
  • It's great that everyone is so enthusiastic about this, but it seems to be getting a little over complicated for a first try ... It's not like this is the only opportunity we'll have to do this ... why not treat this as a trial, and see how it goes. If all goes well, then we can try something a little more complex next time?

I'd suggest - for the first one, keep it simple, keep it relatively small. The more people involved, the more boxes in circulation, the more engagement with 'federal' authorities (customs & excise), then the larger the likelihood of something going wrong, and somebody getting their fingers burnt. There's also a reputational risk in being involved in this ...
  • With @lostintranslation's input on quality control, I'll start the UK box. If anyone is at Brickish the box can do the rounds there, and then be sent on to the next person. @Redbullgivesyouwind has sent me his address. Can the other UK peeps please do the same? And I'll make a list to include in the box. There should also be personal contact between the trading members before the box is sent on, in case they're on holiday etc.. at the time, and can be removed/moved down the list.
    The UK box will be around 800g of lego if I have that much!
    Cheers :)
  • @savage_steel: I'm happy to help start it off, though not sure about being responsible for QC :) But part of the fun of this for me is getting the parcel in the post so I don't want that to count as 'my turn'. You (should) have my address already, let me know if you need it again. Maybe @rocao or @jadedanc already have some UK peeps addresses they can share with you also? Maybe we could set up a group PM for all of the UK folk who have expressed interest too?

I agree with @bluemoose about not over-complicating. I also don't really see the point of photographing the contents of the box - doesn't it take the fun mystery element out of the process if you know exactly what's going in and out? Maybe I'm missing something, but for the UK box I'd vote against posting photos of the contents.
  • Sorry, my suggestion of photo's wasn't to remove fun. It's just how I've seen other ones operate. I think maybe people just take a picture of what they've 'scored' after they send it on to the next person. Guess it allows for a bit more involvement from others to participate in each stage (if they want to) rather than waiting months for the box to turn up without knowing whether it is 2 or 22 stages away from them!

Maybe it's just me, I'm one of those people who enjoys watching other people open their Christmas presents more than opening my own (usually because other peoples are more exciting!).
  • ^ Ok, I guess just photographing what you took out makes sense, doesn't ruin the surprise factor, and you're right, it does allow people to stay involved.

Poor @andhe, why don't you get exciting presents??
  • edited March 2012
    @lostintranslation because no-one buys me lego!

The photography wouldn't have to be compulsory, just allows people to share! It's all about sharing!

Also wondering, how much will it cost to post 800g of lego?...
  • Should cost about £3. I think taking pics of what comes out is a good idea. Also a pic of what goes in at the beginning and what's left at the end (which bricks make it full circle!). But if you do what's come out, there's not as much rush to take the pic, ie the box can move on while you get round to downloading teh pic from your camera
  • It's great that everyone is so enthusiastic about this, but it seems to be getting a little over complicated for a first try ... It's not like this is the only opportunity we'll have to do this ... why not treat this as a trial, and see how it goes. If all goes well, then we can try something a little more complex next time?

I'd suggest - for the first one, keep it simple, keep it relatively small. The more people involved, the more boxes in circulation, the more engagement with 'federal' authorities (customs & excise), then the larger the likelihood of something going wrong, and somebody getting their fingers burnt. There's also a reputational risk in being involved in this ...
    I agree with this, but our US list grew to 20 people before we had any semblance of structure, and since I was already being called a spoilsport, I didn't want to draw additional ire telling people they were late to the party. At this point, I am considering the US list closed, though.

Since I'm starting the US box, it currently is structured to come back to me. I was thinking at that point -- depending on how well things were going -- we could make a judgement call about sending the box across the pond.

• If its not too late I'ld like to be involved in the UK box. If it is too late then no worries.
  • Okay, okay, can we all take a BREAK for a moment.

TIME OUT man, TIME OUT!

Thank you.

As others have recently said, enthusiasm is getting the better of too many people, and folk are racing off in all sorts of directions - the appeal of the idea was in its simplicity.

A package of lego doing the rounds from person to person, put something in, take something out, pass it on.

That is fun. The devil is now in the detail, which should be properly thought out to prevent a mess of conflicting expectations. Remember, the Original Post was basically to canvas opinion, which has clearly returned a YES. That should be the end of this particular conversation.

The next step should now be for a select few trusted and reliable people to formulate the plan/rules, and ONLY when those are agreed, arrange willing participants into appropriate order.

Then we can set a start date and green light the package(s), with appropriate fanfare.

There is no need to rush this. If you want it doing right, do it properly. I know lots of people feel 'rules' take out the fun, but hey, that's why some people make great facilitators, while others make great volunteers. The facilitator takes responsibility for all the 'boring' regulatory stuff (which is usually done quietly in the background) in order to maintain enthusiasm for the volunteers & participants.

It's now time to appoint facilitators. Nothing more. How long that process takes depends on the differing expectations of interested parties.

Just my twopence.
  • edited March 2012
    Also wanted to add:

People should not worry about being left out, BUT it should simply be accepted here on in that IF a cap on participants is decided necessary (for whatever reason), then the invitation to take part ought to be on a 'those who posted earliest in the thread given first refusal' thing OR people should just accept that there will be an amount of waiting (and not take part if they can't wait).

Are we adults or children?

Running multiple boxes across the same group, just to curtail somebody's impatience puts a strain on those who can't donate to more than one box, and changes the original proposal. Impatience is more a reason for a person not to take part than to change the game for everybody, just to suit that player.

However, a box for the US, and a box for the UK, to cross the pond at the end of each line does make sense. (But additional boxes to cater for over subscribed participants should perhaps be a separate entity entirely).

• edited March 2012
    Also also: I heartily concur with @rocao in his opening post on the US 2012 thread.

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4034/us-2012-jambalaya-exchange
  • ^ might be a bit late...
  • ^ Jeez. Was that necessary? I put in all that effort to communicate/help people organise themselves, and a one-liner reduces it to nothing. I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound so 'shoot-downy' though.

But in fairness, it does look to me like rocao made an excellent facilitator (i almost said "just like this" before pointing to rocao's thread), He's done exactly as i recommended in my above post (aimed at those still posting in this thread).

• ^ apologies, that certainly was NOT my intent, i was merely remarking that the US box is about to start the rounds already (see other thread), and that it may be too late too put the cat back in the bag.

again, I do apologize for the flippant sounding response.
  • Rocao guidelines sound good to me. I've lost track of who was taking charge for the UK one @savage_steel?
  • @andhe - yep, I seem to be getting the ball rolling. Not read the other thread yet, but I'm not sure it's that complicated. It's gonna be a box of lego going round britain. It's not gonna cost me much to put together. It'll be about £3 to post, and if people don't want anything from the box, they won't take anything. It'll cost them £3, I think people are willing to gamble!

So far I've put in a bunch of new parts (mostly from PAB and games I've parted out, it's not gonna be the best selection, but someone might want them) And a separate bag of (very) random used parts, which if you haven't bought any second hand older lego before might be interesting, or might be seen as trash. I've not put very worn bricks in. But some of the clear windscreens are a bit scratched, but since they're not current parts, again they might interest people. We could if people like have a rule about used replacing used etc... but it doesn't need to be strict (and really it should be don't take all new and put in all heavily used, but I think adding all new/looks new bricks is fine).

Gonna part some more sets out tonight and add to the box. Will take pics when done.

Will start the UK thread with this info too. :)
  • I'll join next round, but has anyone thought of trading small sets?
  • @Savage_Steel

i strongly recommend you read @rocao 's US thread, and perhaps co-ordinate your plans (with rocao) so that we can all be on the same page. (Everyone seems to agree with rocao's rules).

Also, i'd recommend if groups of people were going to meet up to save postage, that they should still adhere strictly to whatever the mailing list order was, in order to maintain 'box-integrity' and prevent 'double-dipping', otherwise it just becomes a momentary swap shop for those people (which really they could just do in their spare time anyway), potentially exchanging with each other several times out of turn, and denying the person who would follow from getting a proper selection.

i.e. If A, B, C & D met up, without following turn order, they would be able to negotiate and swap stuff about, but person E wouldn't benefit from person D's contribution (as person B might have traded for it).

But by keeping the order, A would pass to B, who passes to C, passes to D, who posts to E. So they save postage costs as desired, while maintaining the integrity of the box.

(But personally, isn't the whole point to this being about getting a surprise package in the post?)
    :o)

• ^sorry, just found your thread... didn't realise we had a different name for it. My bad

*red face*
  • Here's the link to the UK Pick N Mix (ie round robin)
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/4040/uk-lego-pick-n-mix#Item_23

- please let me know your address in the next few days to confirm your inclusion, then I'll sort out a order list, as some people want to swap in person, they may have no other reason to meet up otherwise, so I think that's a good idea. Meeting people from the internet just because they share something you love is a bit difficult without a particular reason to do it (such as handing over the box). I doubt there'll be double dipping, but frankly, who cares? we're not going to know. The box will still end up with a load of parts for the next person, so as long as the volume of contents is about the same, all is good.
    If you'd rather have it in the post, then you can say that to the person sending it you. Simple.

Ps I'm not sure how I got put in charge of this! I guess because I said it made sense to start it at Brickish next week, but sorry if anyone else like organising stuff, coz I really don't!