New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO and Pop Culture / Celebrities

124»

Comments

• ^ Brickarms probably do have rights over their Shaun figure, since this is not a figure from Shaun of the Dead. He just happens to be called Shaun and holds a cricket bat and fights zombies and comes from the UK. That aside, I was wondering how Lego would interpret it, especially based on this line "You will still be able to report projects that aren’t based on original work, and if we confirm a project uses someone else’s work, we will remove it."

If Brickarms complained that it was based on their work, would Lego remove it? Brickarms could lose sales of their custom figs if Lego produces an official SOTD figure, so could have an interest in having it pulled. But then, it is also free advertising for them if they are credited.

And how much of it needs to be based on their work? Would they remove the figure, or expect a MOC figure to replace it, etc. Is the figure incidental to the creation, the main creation being the pub?

The plagiarism clause could be used in many ways to get virtually anything removed.
  • ^ I see a CMF Cricketer on the horizon :)
  • Maybe with 22 in a box and an extra large green baseplate available?

• I could be wrong, but if Brickarms argued against the creation of a Shaun of the Dead minifig, they would have to agree their minifig was a recreation of Shaun from the movie. Thus, they would basically be saying they have been selling a minifig that infringed on the license of the movie merch. (Presuming they don't have the okay to do so)

Or, following the logic that he isn't explicitly named Shaun from the movie Shaun of the Dead (Even though he is created in his image), then all TLG would have to do is create the minifig themselves and name him Shaun from Shaun of the Dead and he is completely separate from Brickarms.

Though I highly doubt this particular issue will be a significant hang-up for this set getting a green light. I think the grander issues already discussed are more important to TLG. That being said, I do look forward to the outcome or any information revolving around any of the issues discussed.

Also, @Yatkuu good job causing all sorts of ruckus with your set! ( <- Joking, of course) Congrats on the votes and awesome set. If it gets created, you definitely need to hit up Simon Pegg and get a signed box.
  • @ SweetLogan "If it gets created, you definitely need to hit up Simon Pegg and get a signed box" You bet I will! ;-)
  • ^I think Mr Pegg will be wanting a signed one from Yatkuu!
  • ^^^ @SweetLogan. That is not quite my point. The cuusoo page contains figures that are not the authors own. They are someone else's MOCs. Would they therefore not get pulled for plagiarism if the owner of the MOC complained. No matter how small the part.
  • ^^^ @SweetLogan. That is not quite my point. The cuusoo page contains figures that are not the authors own. They are someone else's MOCs. Would they therefore not get pulled for plagiarism if the owner of the MOC complained. No matter how small the part.
    That's not plagiarism. As if I remember correctly he has stated his sources. If the MOC/parts of a project were someone elses design and the creator was claiming them as their own, then that would be plagiarism.

The plagiarism thing is there to stop people posting other peoples ideas and saying " Pleez vote 4 my kewl idea!!!!!1".
  • I doubt this will get made, but I'm crossing my fingers! Maybe we'll get lucky and LEGO will view Cuusoo as a more hardcore collector thing and they'll take more chances than they would with their regular lines.
  • Cuusoo is for models to be potentially used or adapted for commercialization. TLG could simply produce the set without a Shaun minifig. OR More likely, they would purchase the minifig rights/idea from Brickarms for a flat, one time, fee as indicated in their Project Guidelines.

I think at most, had Brickarms objected (Though it has been clearly noted in this thread they were on-board) the image would have to change to one without the custom minifig. Since, the Guidelines do expressly forbid the use of other's ideas/creations regardless of permission. (Though I believe that note is for using the entirety of an idea that is not your own.)

I believe the plagiarism comment/section/clause and other conditions relating to using others' works in your own submission is meant to be used in good faith by TLG. They aren't using it to nit-pick but could if they so desired or a particular submission required it.
  • I really don't see why they wouldn't make this. If lego don't have a problem making a 30's/40's gangster holding a gun than this shouldn't surpass their morals. License might be the road block probably.
  • edited June 2012
    TV Show "Get Your House in Order" [UK]

Just watching this...anyone else??? I think I may qualify as a contender with my lego!!!..
  • Yep, watching too, my wife records it, sure she is trying to tell me something... :(
  • Hey maybe! Just try to survive the show without losing any actual Lego. :)
  • Is it available online anywhere?
  • channel 4 on demand/catch up
  • I think it is funny that most weeks there is Lego in their hoard! Did you see the guy with the CMFs?
  • Yes, out off all his thousands of items...... looks like he kept back his lego.. :)
  • Could you part with ALL your lego????
  • ^ I dont think it would be easy, but in a strange way I have an eerie feeling that I would be happier.... :s
    I would have much more space, much more money, much less to buy, no sales to chase, no need to panic whether i can get the latest Poly/Collectable fig.
  • ^ Sounds like you picked the wrong hobby :-)
  • ^ That's what my wife says!!
  • I'd have a tough time parting with any of it. It was hard enough 'donating' my childhood LEGO to Mum for the grandkids to enjoy... at least I can take it back one day!
  • Yeah not glad I watched that programme I am now looking at my lego thinking hmmm I wonder how much.
  • Tonight channel 4 8.00pm - episode 6
  • edited May 2012
    Scarlett Johansson and Lego

She talks a little and brings out her Black Widow Lego MiniFig...;)
  • ...it's about a 1:30 into the clip...
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks @legodad! You just made my day =) I liked Scarlett Jo a lot before, but loving her even more since becoming Black Widow.
  • edited May 2012
    Nooooooo. They're 'dissing' the torso... and did she say "you can never stand these things up?"... maybe i misheard.

I hope LEGO don't suddenly make changes because of one "i'm at a loss for something to say, so let's poke fun at a toy" interviewer.
    I mean, if there HAD been a curve to the sides, they'd just complain that the fig is flat chested instead and make jokes about that...

(Not commenting as to how accurate that would actually have been in this case).

• @BrickDancer...you're welcome! And who doesn't like (or LOVE) Scarlett Jo! Very...talented...;) Wouldn't you just love to hang out with her and build some Lego together. She seems to like to swap out the wigs on her fig. Maybe she's into customizing...:)
  • edited May 2012
    I appreciate her bringing Lego into the Late Nite spotlight. It seems to be the new cool thing among Hollywood celebs lately, but still hush hush in a way.

Good timing for her interview too, gonna catch Avengers tonight and see her on the big screen. Have the Quinjet on the way from last nights May 4th TC-14 promo so should be playing with her next week. I got a lot of spare handcuffs from the Jambalaya box =)
  • edited May 2012
    ^It gets to a worrying stage in a lego obsession when you reach the s and m stage with lego figures ;-P.

Also is it me or does Jimmy Kemle(?) look like his hair has been spray painted on.
  • ^maybe he was wearing a life-size minifig hairpiece, out of respect for the subject matter. :o)
  • I actually agree with Jimmy and Scarlett here - I would love to have female torsos, with just a slight curve on each side.

Of course it would also be cool to have torsos with breasts, or what about a fat guy torso? Or just a little beer whatever is in that ubiquitous red mug -belly.

• edited May 2012
    Lego and The Big Bang Theory

Skip to 25 seconds into the video. It's awesome how they tied it in with the May the fourth sale.

• edited May 2012
    CBS Special on Sean Kenney, Alex Kobbs, and Nathan Sawaya.

Cool video on the different projects these guys have worked on.

• Kenney's garden exhibit is 2 hours away from me till October. Will be hitting that up some weekend soon.
  • edited June 2012
    Apparently Dan Harris, an MP here, was building LEGO during the 24h voting session in Parliament yesterday. A journalist asked him to donate the model to commemorate the event, but he said he "needed it to complete his collection". Link to the pic below.

http://yfrog.com/obuwybzj

• A good way to get a few extra votes ...
  • ^ He's got my vote.
  • Recently I was reading a novel (love story) and Lego was mentioned, or is that Legii? Can't recall which book it was, unfortunately!
  • edited June 2012
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q27BfBkRHbs"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • Aw rats, ^^^ I just can't manage to embed the wonderful Michel Gondry-directed video to "Fell In Love With A Girl" by the White Stripes. Anyway, it's ace. :D
  • edited July 2012
    Donald Faison of Scrubs and Clueless fame seems to be quite the Lego lover... Even going as far as creating his own Stop-Motion movies...

http://omg.yahoo.com/video/donald-faisons-unique-hobby-230014687.html
  • In retrospect I can't believe the series "Chuck" never mentioned LEGOs that I can remember! It had all sorts of cool and geeky references, after all.
  • On a recent episode of the Big Bang Theory, the character of Sheldon was frustrated because his scheduled Lego night was interupted... he was building a Death Star :) (10143-1: Death Star II)

Anyone see Lego showing up on any other TV shows/movies?
    Yes, that was fantastic. Lego is mentioned in other episodes as well I believe.

• On a recent episode of the Big Bang Theory, the character of Sheldon was frustrated because his scheduled Lego night was interupted... he was building a Death Star :) (10143-1: Death Star II)

Anyone see Lego showing up on any other TV shows/movies?

Yes, that was fantastic. Lego is mentioned in other episodes as well I believe.

Here they mention Lego stop motion movies.