We've introduced a new feature to display your country alongside your posts. Please edit your profile and fill in the 'Location' field. This will be particularly useful in the marketplace category. Thank you.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

MinifigsMe: Looking for input on my new Custom Minifigure site

MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member
edited July 2013 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi guys,

A few of you know this, but I make custom minifigs. It started as a silly thing, making derby figs for my team-mates, then for other teams, then footballers...and now the request are getting quite varied :-)

My facebook page is getting a bit limiting (especially as it's called roller derby figs, and I can't change that! www.facebook.com/customminifigs)
My husband is helping me build a proper site for them, so that I can add a few more blog type posts and photo stories.
Anyway, I'd love it if you guys could check it out when it's done and give me some feedback (won't be for a while). But if you have any ideas of what you think I can include, that would be ace.

In the meantime here's some little dudes that will be posted out soon. @collect_that, I also have the figs I owe you. The newcastle ones are @redbullgivesyouwind's
@matthew I can send the quidditch ones as soon as I've got payment.

P1060203.JPG 378.3K
P1060205.JPG 324.5K
P1060206.JPG 288.5K
P1060207.JPG 290.5K
P1060191.JPG 458.6K
P1060210.JPG 275.3K
P1060209.JPG 260.5K
P1070416.JPG 235.7K

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member
    I love the quality Sav but you have soiled my screen with those black and white stripes!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Administrator
  • ^ lol. And ^^ lol.
    Really looking forward to your site getting up n running, and will happily give feedback. On the minifig front, my NFFC ones were very very cool. Love my Psycho :-)
    I'll have to have a think of some other cool (but feasible) ideas for figs that you could do for me...
  • Nice work Caz! Looking forward to getting this fella! As much as I love Spurs, I'm really diggin the rest of the figs (even the toon!)
  • I hadn't appreciated that the Newcastle fig was a Sir Alan Shearer with old school Newkie Brown logo on the shirt. I used to have one of those Newcastle shirts back when I was in my teenage 'supporting the Toon' phase. Probably still at my parents' somewhere. Lol.

I really like the quidditch ones. Would you be able to adapt Hogwarts torsos to be Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, or is that too faffy?
  • 'Supporting the toon phase!' LOL!
    edited April 2012
    ^^ How can that be possible!? How!? Talk about a night of shocks!
  • andheandhe UKMember
    The quality on these is fab. Are you using stickers or decals? Can't quite tell from the pics. You must have a very good printer, the detail and colour look spot-on.
  • ^^ lol, @Kevbags I had my reasons ;-)
    Seeing as I'm in trouble already I might as well admit I went through a vegetarian phase too. I was a very faddy teenager... I still have a short attention span I guess...
    ^ For the life of me I can't think of any reason to dabble in either of those things. Thankfully its over. I may need an extra layer on the cake to recover.
  • @Kevbags sorry mate i cant hear you from up here. Just remind me what the results against sunderland were again :-).

@Lostintranslation newcastle a fad, a fad, A FAD. you can go off people :-D

@Savage_Steel they look amazing cant wait to get them.
    @Redbullgivesuwind I wish I could offer a defence on your recent dominance but I manage to blank it out. Happier memories of being 14 in the Leazes and Marco sparking a riot :-)
    @Savage_Steel Apologies for taking this of topic. I'll be good now and focus on the quality :-)
  • @kevbags: Reason 1. A boy in my form group was a Newcastle fan.
    Reason 2. David Ginola.
    I'll make the cake a good'un for you pet :-)

@redbullgivesuwind: I still have a fondness for Newcastle. They're my Premiership team of choice. Who knows, they might even get a day trip to Europe next season? :P

@sav and mods: I'll be good now too, sorry...
  • @Lostintranslation. im not sure its a good idea to let a load of geordies lose on europe. I dont think they will qualify tbh. To many big teams. But when will we see forrest back again. Feels like ages since they were in the pl.

@Kevbags shhh we dont mention that. Although i think you will do well under o neil next season. be nice to have 2 northern teams in the top 6.
  • lol! I don't mind the OT, makes my thread look popular ;-) besides, I'll be soliciting for comments soon.

@andhe The colour matching is a pain in the bum, still not really got it nailed, the red is still a bit pink, and that turquoise isn't quite right, but I wanted to put honest photos up. And besies I'm finding that most people don't notice, and it's just me.

@LIT - yep, old school shearer, the kit pic I had included the wrong newkie brown logo, so I had to get rid of the coins. Quite fiddly, but worth it, I think!

@yellowcastle - lol! it's my nephew

@LIT (again) yes, I can do hufflepuff and ravenclaw I think, that's what these quidditch ones are (the two yellows are 2 options, they're not meant to look the same, I also did the quidditch in navy, but needed to repurpose the torso, as Matthew hasn't paid yet, and someone needed navy and I was all out.

Cheers for all the feedback on the quality. I think I'm still learning/improving. They are decals, with several layers of thin varnish. Though I still have worries about their robustness, they seem to be doing ok. White is the easiest as I can use a thicker stronger varnish (long story about that).

Gonna spend the rest of my week off on sorting the website, finishing the last few orders and hopefully doing a bit of a stop motion thingy...
  • Will you expand it beyond just football, rollar derby and hp?
  • totally! Whatever people want I'll give it a go.

They were just some examples (the little blue dude is a beaver scout, I've also done field hockey, kickboxing, and musicians)

I think doing famous people would be a great move, but would work better with fleshies. However, I'm reluctant to do the fleshies route as I'll be constantly on bricklink trying to find particular parts, whereas it's pretty much on the special CMF heads I need to go on there for, and they're fairly abundant.
  • MatthewMatthew UKAdministrator
    edited April 2012
    Can you do head decals Sav?
    and you can shut up now Patrick :-)
    I will pay ASAP Sav, just need some BL sales! I prefer the left hand hufflepuff torso. Count me in for some school uniforms, could I see a photo of Lucy's ones when you get them done?
  • ^^I prefer the yellow heads itsa uniquely lego thing and first thing I think of when talking about lego.
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember
    Hi @Sav, if you want a testimonial about the quality of your product for your new website, just ask (or feel free to use any of my replies about them from the forum).

BTW my son was over the moon with them as well. I opened a couple of CMF's at the back seam, took the contents out and put the Forest minifigs in. He looked a little confused as to why he had two Series 6 minifigure packets for his birthday, but once open he couldn't quite believe that he had 2 minifigs of himself in Forest kits.
  • @Matthew - not sure about heads, gonna give it a go, I'll get back to you. The ones I've seen elsewhere look a bit naff.

@redbullgivesuwind. yeah, me too. And I think for the general public, who so far are the ones buying, their memories are of yellow, no one has asked for fleshies yet. though Ba might have looked better black?

@martyn - that is an awesome idea!!! I should totally do some packaging at some point, but until then I might add that a suggestion for people to do themselves!
    I'm really pleased he liked them :) If you have any problems with them, please PM me. Not that many have gone into kid's play boxes yet, and I'm intrigued to see how they hold up.
  • martynmartyn Reading, UKMember
    @Savage_Steel - They aren't going into any play box! We have all of the CMF on display and have explained that these are unique so he understands how special these are ;-). They are on display in our lounge (one kicking the ball to the other)
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember
    These are totally awesome! Once your website is up let me know and I can introduce you and your products to our readers at theBrickBlogger. I'm very much into supporting LEGO customizers (the good ones!). I know our readers would love these!...(c;
  • @akunthita - thanks so much, that's really appreicated :)

@martyn, glad to hear they're being well cared for! I might tap you for a testimonial when the site is ready, if that's ok?
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember
    @Savage_Steel - My Aston Villa minifigure is totally ace, everyone i have shown it to has asked where did i get it and how can they get one for themselves, i'll point them in the direction of your website when it is up and running.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member
    edited April 2012
    Thanks @pantboy :) If anyone is in a hurry they can order through facebook:
    Order forms are just below the main image. They're around £10/$18 each.
  • Great job @Savage_Steel hon. Waiting for your website to be up and running and will leave feedback.
  • Wow. Those all look wonderful! I would guess it would be hard to do decals on the heads because it's a continuous curve, so the edge of the decal would show that much more. Plus, any small mistake would be much more noticeable on the head, because people look at that more, I would guess.
  • @savage_steel no I dont think so. Yellow keeps it classic and avoids that whole race thing people get touchy but with lego people get every one is yellow. besides dont wanna ruin your great work.
  • Wow love the HP quidditch robes. Do you do ravenclaw and hufflepuff school uniforms too? I would be interested in them too.
  • @bixtrix77 - hopefully I can! I'll post up some pics when I've tried it :)
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember
    Oh, any more Scouts? I would love to point to your work on my BrickScouts Blog.
  • I've only made the Beaver so far, but if anyone orders others I'll let you know. I'll link to your blog from the Beaver's page on my new site. Its' very cute!
  • @tedward I've linked to your site from my beaver scout page. Are you planning on updating it soon? I'll send you my link soon as I'm ready to launch.

PS a request to everyone. I'm in need of black hands, if anyone has a bunch spare (because they've switched them for another colour etc...) I'd be very appreciative in a cash/lego trade sort of way. And as always, if you want your worn (but not chewed) torsos a new lease of life, send them my way for a discount on figs/lego from my bricklink store.

Thanks peeps!