New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Star Wars UCS Sets

Comments

• Partly for the sake of my wallet i'd like LEGO to give us some smaller options when it comes to UCS.
    Luke's Landspeeder and an Endor Speeder Bike (maybe even with Biker Scout). As far as ships go i'd fork out for a UCS Slave1.
    I've got to be honest, I don't get as much enjoyment out of my big UCS sets (Falcon and Star Destroyer) as I do the smaller ones( X-wing and Snowspeeder). The massive sets hurt in so many ways ( cost, build time, storage) it feels harder to love them after they are finally finished (and besides the big sets lose out big style in the swooshability factor).
  • Is swooshability is word?

If not, it should be! :)

Perhaps Brickset can add a "rating" option for set reviews to include "swooshability"
  • edited October 2011
    ^tell me you mentioned the AT-AT
    you can build an AT-AT you just need the parts!
  • ^ .....and the instructions!
  • I'd like to see a large-scale diarama from Dagobah that contained Yoda's hut or the swamp that the X-Wing sank in... maybe even the cave scene. I also would love a USC outdoor Hoth scene... but already working on that one on the side.
  • @cavegod Your not wrong however, I lack the time, money and raw talent to match your AT-AT. Have to make do with the 8129 set from TLG last year for the time being until our prayers are answered :-(. I would happily see your other suggestions to the designers though a new X-Wing and A-Wing would be great.
  • Is there a nice set of custom instructions online for an AT-AT in UCS scale? Mini-fig scale prefered?

Then the next question is, does it have a parts list? That would be the trick, collecting the 10,000 parts needed to build it, but I might try it if the instructions were good enough.
  • I'm not aware of any instructions for... well... ANY custom UCS stuff? Generally, in my experience, making the instructions is more difficult than building the model, so I never expect anyone to have instructions for their MOCs. Has anyone published any instructions or DAT/LDD's for any of their UCS models?

DaveE
  • Yeah, but those aren't really UCS-level. Fans often make instructions for small creations, but almost never for large ones-- at least not that I've seen. I don't think I've ever seen any fan instructions for UCS-scale stuff.

DaveE
  • True, but that Acclamator is pretty nice...
  • Oh yeah! Sorry, I guess I must have glossed over the UCS sets that you've got listed-- nice!

DaveE
  • Has anyone tried to order the parts for that UCS AT-TE from Pick-A-Brick?

If it works out to about 10 cents a brick, I might do it for the fun and challenge of it, but if 20% or more of the parts simply can't be ordered, might not be worth the trouble.
  • most of the parts will only be available on bricklink.
  • ^ Agreed; the PaB selection is fairly limited - it's Bricklink or nothing I suspect.
  • i've popped the old at-at on cuusoo
  • @cavegod - supported. Will be first in line to buy it when it hits the shops :)
  • for some reason it has cropped the picture!
  • Well, I've predictably supported it, but it'll almost certainly be in vain as I believe licensed properties are out of scope.....
  • thats what i hope aswell lol
  • Any Rebel alliance starship would be a great UCS.
  • edited April 2012
    Why has the 10188 been taken off the UCS list. I do agree that it shouldn't be on the list but why was it on, then taken off. I wouldn't have bought the set otherwise. Any ideas???
  • 10188 isn't a UCS set, and never was a UCS set....
  • ^^ So long as you enjoy it does it matter?
  • edited April 2012
    I did a little digging and then merged here the various splintered conversations on What is or is not a UCS set.

@muslhed - Please review all the comments above as I think you'll find your answers here.

@drdavewatford - It appears that this set was in fact and up until recently noted on Brickset as belonging to Subtheme "Ultimate Collector Series." The subtheme was then corrected in January to "Episode 4-6." I therefore assume it was this change that @muslhed is referencing.
  • For everyone's information, Lego has an official poster that includes all of the UCS sets (except for the Super Star Destroyer; the poster came out pre-release). I'm sure everyone will disagree with parts of it, but this is TLG's classification of them....
    poster_10_years_lsw_ucs.jpg
    560 x 750 - 553K
  • @mattheww888 - please read the discussion above
  • @Yellowcastle - I did, which is why I said what I said.
  • @mattheww888
    the poster is flawed, where are the UCS X-wing, TIE Interceptor, Yoda bust ?
    And nowhere on the poster does it say UCS or Ultimate Collector Series
    It's all open to interpretation
  • @roxio,
    It's not my poster. It's Lego's. I see what you're saying, with those sets missing (I have the Yoda statute myself), but the poster does say "Ultimate Star Wars Sets." Good enough for me.
  • @mattheww888 - I hadn't realized that the poster was not previously linked (or didn't transfer) so thanks for adding it. :o)
  • edited April 2012
    @Yellowcastle,
    Yeah, I noticed it took a minute to load, too.

Btw all, not trying to cause a stir here. I just remember seeing this poster online recently and I have the same argument as most of you: certain sets shouldn't be on here (Sandcrawler, Cloud City, TIE Collection, Republic Dropship w/AT-OT, and Tantive IV w/minifigs). I'm pretty sure TLG classifies 10188 Death Star as USC, also.
  • edited April 2012
    I want this to become reality SO BAD.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1786

• @roxio,
    It's not my poster. It's Lego's. I see what you're saying, with those sets missing (I have the Yoda statute myself), but the poster does say "Ultimate Star Wars Sets." Good enough for me.
    Doesn't say "Ultimate Collector Series" though, does it ? And since that's what we're discussing here, the poster is irrelevant.

Of course if it's the word "Ultimate" that makes a set UCS then you'd better add Ultimate Build Lightning McQueen, Ultimate Build Mater and Ultimate Build Francesco to your list. Because those have Ultimate in the name as well. And perhaps you want to include Set 7283 Ultimate Space Battle as well ?

;-)
  • That is very brave in that video, to run that so close to the edge in the end, the back half is hanging off the table a bit.

Not my personal choice. :)
  • @drdavewatford,
    Except for the fact that the poster does specifically say "Star Wars." So the word "Ultimate" would not apply to anything other than Star Wars. It's an official Lego document--I'm not going to question it.
  • ^ But it doesn't say "Ultimate Collector Series", does it ?
  • ^Whatever. I guess everybody else understood.
  • ^ I didn't...

I get that the poster is about pretty cool Star Wars sets, but it isn't about UCS sets...

In my mind, UCS sets are those with black stands and display plaques. 10143 is UCS, 10188 is not.

To me, in my mind, and of my opinion. :)
  • ^ understood what? The poster does not say UCS sets, it says ultimate star wars sets. The poster has no bearing on what is considered a UCS set or not. It might as well say 10 years of super awesome star wars sets. Same thing.
  • This is quite the debate. Guess Ill add my 2 cents as well. Way I look at it is that the UCS sets don't have allot of playability and usually are the most iconic builds in the SW series. I also think the degree of difficulty in building a UCS is higher meaning the technique is a much higher skill level than an average builder. I think Lego developed the UCS for Collectors as models. If Lego deams it a UCS then the box actually says Ultimate Collectors Series on it. Im sure we will see a few remakes and allot of new ones.
  • edited April 2012
    ^ Well, it had the Obi Wan Starfighter and Cloud City so I don't think "Super Awesome" would have been applicable either. ;o)
  • ^ Well, it had the Obi Wan Starfighter and Cloud City so I don't think "Super Awesome" would have been applicable either. ;o)
    I dont really get the hate for Obi's fighter, it was overpriced but its actually a very good looking set IMO.

• I dont really get the hate for Obi's fighter, it was overpriced but its actually a very good looking set IMO.
    Would have been better if they had included the hyper-drive ring IMO.

• Brickipedia lists sets like the Sandcrawler, Dropship, and Motorized AT-AT as USC sets. AND Brickset lists 10188 Death Star as a USC, too. That poster only has USC sets on it. Someone call up TLG and prove me wrong.
  • ^^^ goodness me, not another X-Wing please! Must have had about nine incarnations. I know there has only been one UCS, but surely there are other first time UCS candidates way ahead of this!!!
  • @mattheww888 - Here's the link for the Ulimate Collector's Series sets on Brickset

http://brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Star Wars&subtheme=Ultimate Collector Series

As for citing Brickipedia, I can't say that holds much water.
  • Someone call up TLG and prove me wrong.
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. LEGO don't really care. They are bemused that some AFOLs seem to get their panties in a bunch over this issue. It's a marketting term; it doesn't mean anything.

• As for citing Brickipedia, I can't say that holds much water.
    As for citing Brickset, I can't say it holds much water either.