New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO Olympic Minifigures: Team GB

Comments

• ^^Ha they do love Man U out there. Or arsenal
  • Pro Evo (video game) always has funny alternative names for football clubs due to not having a licence, perhaps you could copy them.

http://pes.neoseeker.com/wiki/English League
  • Swearcle? lol. Aren't the player names all changed as well? (Haven't played it in ages). Things like Bookham, and Griggs etc.

(Not sure this really has anything to do with the Olympics though... although perhaps to avoid licensing issues TLG could call them Olimpic figures... :P)
  • ^I prefer booktale for blackpool. Like Dara O'Briens olimpic t shirts
  • edited April 2012
    Surely most (well half anyway) of the premier league teams aren't registered anyway. Anything which is just a place name, like Liverpool or ending in City like Manchester City is free to use. Things like Manchester United obviously are, but I'm sure you could come up with a suitable replacement name, something like Horrible Cheating ****ers might do fine.

It's stretching my memory to its limits, but back in the day I think Sensible Soccer also had to change all the team and player names and the first thing you'ld do with your shiny new copy is edit them all back to the proper ones. Happy days.
  • Italia 90 on the Megadrive had Charlston in the England squad :-)
  • edited April 2012
    ^But you have to set it so that everytime you go near the figure they fall over :-D
    Amen to that one. Do we get a referee with the Man U figure to blow the whistle every time they do fall over too? ;-P
  • I wonder how long it will be before we get FIFA World Cup licensed minifigs?
    Been there, done that. We had Zidane in a French Shirt and a generic French uniform. On the club front they did a Bayern Munich set already.

I am amazed they did not do something for South Africa. Maybe Brazil will see a series of collectible figs. Forget stickers or trading cards, a complete set of World Cup team figs would be awesome.
  • ^ an official one you mean?
    I was only able to find this:
    heheheh :D
  • ^Lol! Brilliant!

• Amen to that one. Do we get a referee with the Man U figure to blow the whistle every time they do fall over too? ;-P
    Yes and it will come with an ablity to make all the wrong choices such as giving terrible penatlties and giving goals when the ball is on the half way line.
  • Sorry but that looks a whole lot worse than a headbutt. No wonder he's smiling.
  • lol!

thanks @atkinsar.

I think I need to make a little ref. just for photo ops really :)
  • ^^ its the vacant look as well. That makes it better.
  • edited April 2012
    ^^^ I thought the same thing... I had to quickly scroll back up the screen to avoid displaying the image to my family.
    Then I read the posts and laughed my head off at the innocent intent of the unfortunate image. LOL

• Back on topic...
    This might be conspiracy theory overload, but what do people reckon the odds are of a UK launch/announcement of Olympic/Team GB figs at Afolcon/The Lego Show? Their mosaic world record attempt does feature sports figures after all... http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=2798
  • Would tie in nicely....?
  • edited April 2012
    Huw did mention an exciting announcement for the Monday...

And did anyone else notice the commenting was disabled on the frontpage story after 212 comments? Coincidence?... :P
  • ^ The commenting was disabled because it got way off track and out of control. Conspiracy averted. ;o)
  • ^^ Surely it should have been after 2012 comments?
  • ^that would have been poetic. Would have been coments on whose gran buys them more lego.

What is odd is that lego havent asked for brickset to take them down but FBTB has. so either lego havent noticed or Huw has pulled some strings. Lego usual comment if they are fake but have said nothing about this at all. So if they are anouncing at AFOLcon maybe with such a short time space maybe they dont care.
  • Back on topic...
    This might be conspiracy theory overload, but what do people reckon the odds are of a UK launch/announcement of Olympic/Team GB figs at Afolcon/The Lego Show?
    Couldn't possibly comment.
    Their mosaic world record attempt does feature sports figures after all ...
    That's just because of the Olympics in general ... isn't it?

• edited April 2012
    What is odd is that lego havent asked for brickset to take them down but FBTB has.
    Do we have any proof that Lego asked FBTB to 'take them down'? It's being openly discussed in their forums, so it seems unlikely that Lego have intervened. The image does not contravene Lego's image use policy ( i.e. it isn't over-stamped with 'confidential') so they don't have much of a case for asking us to remove it ... but if they did, we would likely comply.
  • edited April 2012
    True I have no proof and maybe they did just take it down as they thought it was fake. But then you have to get up early to pull the wool over peoples eyes in this comunity so if it was fake I dont think Huw would still have it up.
    The image does not contravene Lego's image use policy ( i.e. it isn't over-stamped with 'confidential') so they don't have much of a case for asking us to remove it ... but if they did, we would likely comply.
    This is what is puzzling me as I fully expected it to be taken down by now and I could be all smug etc etc. So maybe they are letting it hang and with the contravoursy using it as marketing or something....

ps was nice to have meet you over on BA
  • Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I've been on the boards due to life, but I am very excited for this set being a huge sports fan!

With that said, is there a separate thread that is going on with our friends across the pond helping to send some overseas, or is it disbursed throughout this thread?

Thanks guys!

Kyle
  • Once there released then i will happily send them across the pond and else where. It will proberbly end up in this thread
  • Posted today in the LEGO Ambassador Forums:

"All I can say is that I have it from a reliable source that the Olympic figures ARE genuine. I can say no more!"
  • ^ posted by whom?
  • Gary Davis. He went to some LEGO conference.
  • Thanks. Gary was at the Ideas Conference in Billund, as Ambassador for Brickish.
    Although I trust Gary's judgement, I was hoping this had come from Tormod, Jan, Jim or another Lego employee & could be treated as official confirmation.
  • Unfortunately no LEGO employee has responded to the question posted in the Ambassador Forum.
  • ^ Not without precedent, unfortunately.
  • ^ That's funny.
  • Listed on ebay!

Lego Olympic Minifigures/Minifigure Set Limited Edition UK Exclusive - Set 9

How??!
  • oh....

"This is a pre-sell auction with the full set shipped within 30 days of auction close"

• Yeah im amazed it is still up to be honest as they dont have anything for sale
  • edited May 2012
    just wondered if there has been any offical news from Lego regarding Team GB and a release date. The more I look at the picture the more I think its a very good fake. The tennis player appears to be holding the detectives magnifying glass for instance and the others just look like a mix and match of all previous figures with team gb decals.
  • and the others just look like a mix and match of all previous figures with team gb decals.
    That doesn't surprise me though. Cheap to produce as molds exist and it will be a limited run so doesn't justify new parts, just different printing.
  • I'm told they are actually 'in stock' at some places (albeit not on the shelves) and so I highly doubt they are fake.
  • They are coming my friend where I got the picture from has had his order confirmed. However they wont say yet when the release date is yet. Nor be on shelves as the offical merchandise isnt out yet. I believe its start of june.
  • edited May 2012
    Be on the shelves where? My friend is from London and is going to the Olympics. Where will she be able to pick up some boxes?
  • They will be in shops I dont know which ones. My friend runs a small inderpendant toy shop and is getting some. So im guessing these will be available nationwide and in a number of shops. So yes she will be able to.
  • It's a rumour or photoshop gag which has got out of hand.

The "leaked" image is not consistant at all with Lego's pre-release images, and is full of minor photoshop errors.

The "Team GB" logo means this must be an official product of Team GB however Lego are not a partner (http://www.teamgb.com/partners).

The packet design also features to Olympic rings, so they need to be a London 2012 partner too, yet the packet/box doesnt have the london 2012 logo on (which is odd as thats a requirement) see here - http://www.london2012.com/about-us/our-brand/using-the-brand/index.html.

And finally most telling all Olympic Merchandise is in the shops here, surely its fast becoming too late to release these if they were real.

I have recently been working on some "related to 2012" advertising for a company and I can share that the rules are a act of parliament, so you cant even mention London and 2012 in the same place without being an official partner. Don't you think if Lego was a partner which would have been signed 4 years ago they would have made more out of it? rather than effectively keeping it a secret till 2 months to go to the games?

My guess is either these are simply a bit of fun, which has actually been taken seriously, or a genuine attempt to "sell" boxes of these figures as a preorder scam.

• ^ You just mentioned the UK capital and the current year in the same place! I'm reporting you to Seb Coe!
  • Does anybody know whether they will be released as a set or as individual bags? I don't envy trying to get my hands on all of them one by one...
  • @ereiamjh - yeah its a nightmare to be honest, but an illustration of how Lego cant do these without being a partner, and all the partners have been announced, so this seems to be either fantasy land, or a scam.. hope it's the former.
  • ^^ If they're released at all, it will be as individual bags like the CMs.
  • ^^ If they're released at all, it will be as individual bags like the CMs.