New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

The "brag" thread: Post your recent great finds!

Comments

• It wasn't recent, but being fairly new to the forums, last year about this time we found the Statue of Liberty, #3450 missing about 60 pieces, a Yoda, #7194, and a partial unknown Star Wars ship for $40. USD at a yard sale. We bought the missing pieces for 3450 and paid to have the instructions professionally printed and we have spent about $150 altogether.

Our next best buy was an ebay auction where we got the Off Road truck #8273, Crawler crane #8288 and dirt bike #8291 for $125 plus $10 shipping. The crane alone sells for more than that so we were thrilled to get it on 12/23/10
  • Another nice deal, found a Guarded Inn and got it for €37,00 only without instructions. But still a nice deal.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6067-1
  • I almost picked up a used sandcrawler last night off ebay for 136.00 usd,, but didn't because the GF would have been probably upset. I've been on a buying spree lately.
  • @weinner,
    Dude, shoulda got it! That's a good price considering it was $140 USD when it was first released.
  • I know, I have just been buying so much lately, but I know im regretting it today. It even had the box, just not the minifigs. Sigh
  • @weinner,
    Oh, no minfigs? That sucks. Personally, I hate it when people take out the minifigs and just try selling the rest of the set. The minifigs are the best part! I suppose you could find them on Bricklink somewhere. The Jawas are pretty cool.
  • @matheww888 the minifigs are my favorite part of lego, even when I was a kid. The thing that kinda scared me about the deal is that the seller said they weren't sure if the minifigures that they were giving with the set was the ones with the set. I seen the pictures and they definitely were not the correct ones. If they had the box and instuctions, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
  • @weinner,
    Huh. Too bad. I remember getting the set when it first came out and thought it was overpriced. Now, I'm glad I scooped it up when I did.
  • So I got an insane buy today.

Picked up a 7964 Republic Frigate from Eal Mart for only 50 bucks!!!!

Was checking to see if anything new got marked down and checked the lego isle. They had three frigates on the top shelf next to the bounty hunter ship. For some reason they had the BH ship tag under both sets. I figured screw it, i'll grab it and see what happens. Rang up full price, of course said something. The Toy manage who was price checking it took about 10 minutes to do so and came up and said "I can let you have it for 100" I explained that wasnt good enough, A store manager who was near by came over and asked, I explained and the Toy manager siad "yea the tag was wrong" and the Store manager said Give it to him. Booyah.

Needless to say I'm STOKED to get it for just a hair under 60% off. My First Capitol ship, Takes a little out of my Tantive IV stash but couldnt pass the chance.
  • Earth defence HQ half price from lorimers was a very nice price for a great set. It had been sat there for months.
  • Just got a millennium falcon 4504, slave 1 6209, general grievous chase, b-wing fighter, clone turbo tank 7261 , Jedi star fighter, v-wing, ultimate light saber duel with light up sabers, clone scout walker 7250, arc170 7259 all complete with figs but no boxes. Everything for $99 in a garage sale! Just seeing the kashyyyk trooper already made my day :)
  • ^ Great find, the Kashyyk Trooper is worth a quarter of the price!
  • Dooooooooooood I'm so stoked I finally get to post something here! We're at the park last weekend, my 6 yr old is arguing with another kid so I say let's take a walk, he'll be gone when we get back. We run into a guy I played ultimate frisbee with a year or two back, we talk, Legos come up, he says he's got some nobody touches but that he and his brother used to have a roomful. We can't go that day so my expectations and anxieties have a week to escalate (what does he have? Does he know what they're worth? Etc). Yesterday we go to his house and he unearths a few dusty (okay, dirty) bags which contain mostly complete sets 6175, 6190, and 6195 with instructions and three huge baseplates, around 1000-1200 pieces I guess, which he gives us for
    F
    R
    E
    E
    !!!
    He went to see his folks this weekend and said he would root around and see what else he could find. Cross your fingers for me!!!
  • ^ That is Awesome Brickarmor. It reminds me of when this 14 year old kid my mother in law was watching left an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container in the spare bedroom. He never came back for them and his parents changed their phone number. So, after 6 months of no word from them, she gave them to our 2 oldest. They found a mostly complete Mos Isley Cantina, a Jango Fett, and Phoenix from Harry Potter along with thousands of bricks.
  • Well Its not exactly a stellar score however I went to Target today and got 15 Endor battle packs for 30% off. Sounded like they put the wrong ones on clearance.
  • OMG!!! I hit the motherload. I bought a 20 pound tub of Lego off of some guy on Craigslist, and included were the Original instruction manuals for 10182 CAFE CORNER! Along with at LEAST 75% off the original pieces. There were 8 UNOPENED bags of pieces. One unopened smaller bag 1, 4 bag of bag 2, and 2 of bag 3! We are still seperating all the rest of the pieces in the tub, but will be posting this in Marketplace for sale if anyone is interested. I can see in the bags the DARK RED slopes, 1x2x3 side panels, arched windows, etc. We also found all the Dark Blue arches, pillars, and pieces. The original grey framed door that Bricklink sells for $40 a piece! Along with the original windows, window frames. Ahhhh!!! So much Awesome stuff!!!
  • ^ wow, that's a great find, I have dreams about finding a cafe corner like this. I'm just starting to try to piece one together, I'm having fun so far but I know I'll not be as happy all the way doing this.
  • So far, I think we have everything except for the reddish brown staircase, 2 green 16x32 baseplates, bicycle, or minifigures. I will field any reasonable offers.
  • @starfire2- How much money did it take to score all that?
  • @samian391 : $120. My son was able to build the Naboo Starfighter 97%. We are missing 3 pieces.
  • one penny each for 4 2011 Bricktober magnets at TRU just now. 3 Knights & a black Spaceman =-)
  • one penny each for 4 2011 Bricktober magnets at TRU just now. 3 Knights & a black Spaceman =-)
    Lucky! TRU.ca is still selling them for $2.99 each.
  • Not an amazing deal, but Snowtrooper and Rebel Trooper battlepacks at Books-A-Million for 30% off (plus an additional 10% off if you are a member of their club).
  • @starfire2 That is AWESOME!!!! Congrats!!!
  • Thanks. Hopefully we have all the pieces ( bagged but need to be sorted). Hoping to sell it.
  • @starfire2-Great find! And I would be interested as a potential buyer for the CC.
    How about $120 for it? ;-P
  • @starfire2 Excellent haul! I remember seeing that on Phx.CL and the wing of the Naboo Starfighter in the picture. I ended up deciding not to even think about it as I had just picked up a listing of 8 Star Wars sets which were complete with figs and instructions. Still a little jealous though. :) Congrats again!
  • @jadedanc

If you didn't want it boxed (the shipping would be horrendous) I might have a spare that I could send just bagged, not boxed. I didn't get them at £25 sadly but it still might work out cheaper than you can get them in the states - those prices seem crazy given what they've been here. I also have a spare Ice Dragon Attack.
  • @aimlesspursuits: The guy we bought them off of said people were emailing him all day, but we were the only ones who called and obviously bought them. I saw the wing for the starfighter in the pics as well, but what really got me was the pics of unopened bags of bricks. As soon as I saw them I was like OMG, that's bags for the Cafe Corner. If this guy has all if not most of the parts for this thing Bazinga! Then when I called him, I asked if he had any instruction manuals and he said the only ones he had were for the Cafe Corner. Apparently his son got the set for some of the parts to do MOC's. I am sooo extatic. Even if I have to spend a few bucks on a few missing pieces, when I sell it I will be making bank.
  • Nothing great but I got a clone trooper battle pack today for 7.00 usd.
  • ^ Not bad, they usually sell for $20.
  • edited April 2012
    I've never had a good deal in a long time, but about half a year ago, I bought all the factory sealed Cafe Corner bags for $421 shipped. Made the year!
  • @weinner, What clone BP was that?

^ Wow, that's a great deal, especially sealed! Congrats!
  • I got 2 Star Wars limited edition 2011 mini figure collector posters free from an independent toyshop last week. They were on the bottom shelf, behind literally hundreds of playmobil DVDs and catalogues, in a dark back room where they had overflow toys. Sadly no decent discounts, all seemed to be recent except a couple of belville sets (over RRP), all seemed to have rounded up to the nearest £5 for price, ie Small Car £5, Harbour £75...
  • @Pepper of all places Walgreens(US drug store)
    It was 7913 BP
  • got technic 8256 today box was open but bags still sealed for £1.50 not amazing but not to be sniffed at.
  • Thanks @weinner! That's a strange place to find LEGO for a decent price, usually I only see Bionicle-type things for more than MSRP. But I haven't been there lately, so who knows.
  • I don't know if this counts but I am stoked about it. I just won via best offer on ebay a UCS 10134 Y-Wing for $225. No box or instructions but still, I'm really glad to finally get this set for a reasonable price.
    Well, turns out this wasn't the best of deals. I was taking an inventory of the pieces yesterday and it looks like around 100 of the pieces are either a different color (old gray instead of bluish gray), just plain wrong (large hose instead of small) or toasted (white pieces have sun tans). I think the seller either tried to piece the set himself or just subbed in the cheapest parts he could.

I've gone ahead and started using Brick Link to obtain the new replacement pieces although it seems I will be 2 pieces short since there are none in inventory, Dark Bluish Gray Hose, Rigid 3mm D. 14L / 11.2cm (x2).

I learned my lesson. Last time I ever buy a used set online with the words "sold as is" and "no returns" :)
  • I got a Queen Ann's Revenge from Meijer for $85.00. Not a huge deal but I have been looking to get this on sale for a while.
  • I got a Queen Ann's Revenge from Meijer for $85.00. Not a huge deal but I have been looking to get this on sale for a while.
    Just built this set last night, very very nice. I did not like how the front sail attached though, anyone know if there is a way to make it tight. I know wrong thread for this.
  • I got a set from a friend down the road, which included

15 minifigures, including Ep 3 clones, and the old 2005 police station for £20
  • I got an Eiffel Tower from ebay last year £99, took me 3 days to make it and every single piece was there... happy me.
  • Picked up Build a Bob (Giant Spongebob) for 10 bucks off of Kijiji. My kids are starting to question my sanity...
  • Listed on Ebay as Indiana Jones Temple of Doom+extras, saw from photo it was 7627 not temple of doom. Paid £33 for it and picked it up was only 1 mile down road. Amazingly everything was 100% complete including all minifigs and instructions. What was in the boxes was as follows, was pretty happy with it all.

7627 Indiana Jones Skull Temple
    7625 Indiana Jones River Chase
    7239 Fire Truck

Harvey Two Face Keyring

Some small+promo sets
    4992 Fire Speed Boat,
    4938 Fire Truck
    4991 Police Helicopter
    5627 Bull Dozer
    5626 Coast Guard+Bike
    7452 7611 Racers
    Creator 7873 7872 7797 7604

300 random bricks a 5 other minifigs
  • ^ Wow! Great find! The Indiana Jones sets alone are worth more than 3 times that! Congrats!
  • @LegobrandonCP I had never seen them there before and would have gotten one of each for full price but at a penny i'd have taken 100 =-)
  • Scored an old school Lego plastic clam style container for .50 at goodwill today, with 3 2x2 bricks :)

• I learned my lesson. Last time I ever buy a used set online with the words "sold as is" and "no returns" :)
    Lol, what were you expecting with the words "sold as is"? :P