New around here? When you sign up for a new account, please indicate why you want to join on the registration form so we can determine which applications are genuine and which are from spammers.

Once you've signed up, please wait 12 hours or so for your account to be approved.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is your significant other into Lego?

13»

Comments

• @Duchessa I know what you mean broke up couple of weeks ago with my ex. so when I start dating again Im looking for someone to share the hobby with. got a bit bored with the withering looks I got. feel 700 sets is a good base requirement for my needs.
    My wanted add could be. AFOL, 24, would like to meet FAFOL. 700+ sets. DSE MFE GOSH
  • Totally want to see that ad!!

You could expand it to include - enjoy quiet and peaceful afternoons packing cups at the PAB wall. Although not necessary, it would be great if you had a UCS 10179.
  • ^thats there is is MFE=melenium falcon essential.

Do like the pack cups at the PAB wall bit though
  • ^^ Unless your LEGO store is deserted I doubt an afternoon packing PAB cups is quiet or peaceful with all the noise and kids running through those stores =)
  • Lol, @savage_steel said to me earlier there needs to be Lego speed dating. Not sure how that would work in practice but I like the sound of it!
  • Maybe it's an additional service that Brickset can supply - Brickdate. You can have ads along the side of the AFOLs in your area.

Hey. Pandora does it to me all the time!
  • edited March 2012
    @LostinTranslation well thats easy. All the ladies get a set or a pile of bricks, sit at a table and start building. each guy comes along and spends two minutes building with you. They chat as you build so its not awkward and you can build in silence so its something to do. And if you dont find a guy you like you still leave with a set.

I dont have a lego store near me so never experienced it. Could change it to and enjoy fighting children over the last red door in the PAB section. Would add upper body strength for carrying sets also a must
  • ^ ok cool that sounds like a plan Mr redbull. You should trial it out at Afolcon!
  • @Duchessa I know what you mean broke up couple of weeks ago with my ex. so when I start dating again Im looking for someone to share the hobby with. got a bit bored with the withering looks I got. feel 700 sets is a good base requirement for my needs.
    My wanted add could be. AFOL, 24, would like to meet FAFOL. 700+ sets. DSE MFE GOSH
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that :) And you gave me some great ideas for my wanted add. Perhaps something like this:

"Grumpy old FAFOL would like to meet MAFOL. Have: CC, GG, MS and FB. Lots of SW UCS MISB. Roughly 140" pcs. Want: GE, PS and TH. SW UCS MF. If you can't read the add, don't bother replying".

• edited March 2012
    @LostinTranslation I will work on it and trial it next year and see what happens. As I cant make it this year. Although I can see the franchises now.

@Duchessa I love it! that is your add sorted. I fail on all four of your wants though. But if we see the prices of those sets double we know why :-D
  • Sitting on a bus LMAO @ Brickdate. :)
  • My wife loves to build sets, she does a couple a week on average I think. She leaves most of the shopping, sorting and obsessing to me, although she does sometimes drag me to Target to go buy Friends sets. Funny thing is that she never really built Lego as a child, but she has been supportive of my hobby from the start, and warmed up to it really quickly despite how crazy I became about it.

• edited April 2012
    Any recommended sets to convince your significant other?

I guess it's always nice to share sour hobby with your significant other but since she ain't really convinced(yet!)i'm wondering which sets you brought into play that may got your partner into Lego?
  • Depends on her interests. :) As a female AFOL, I love the modular buildings. Also the Star Wars since they remind me of my youth. (I actually remember standing in line for hours for Empire Strikes Back.)
  • Somehow i feel she ain't really into Modulars! But she starts too take closer looks at my Minifigs,and when i showed her the upcoming TC-14 she straightly asked me to get her one! I would just love if i could find a nice set that she would love to build!
  • Im a female AFOL too, and the modulars get my vote , and any/all the CMF because they're cute!
  • Tower bridge could be an option if your not stuck for space/cash?
  • My wife wanted (and received, of course) the Tower Bridge. She also loves the modulars, the winter sets, and the Friends sets. For older sets she loves the 7639 Camper.
  • Female AFOL here as well, and I can only agree with the rest - the modulars. The big sculptures like the Tower Bridge or Taj Mahal could also work.

I'm personally not into the CMF, but many others are.
  • My wife will build with me but she does not collect like I do. She is more of an enabler than anything else. If she is out shopping she calls and tells me there is a sale and that she will get what she can. Or she will see a lego and ask If its something we have already. She keeps very good track of the collection and what we got. So in the end it works out.
  • edited April 2012
    My wife purchased the winter toy shop and bakery in 2010, just for a little x-mas display, and I didn't think much of it. I thought Legos were cool, and I had them as a kid, but wasn't really into them much for some reason.

Fast forward to November 2011, and I saw the Black Pearl while we were shopping at Costco one night. Thought it looked really cool, and bought it with the intention of it being my only Lego set. Little did I know that it's a very slippery slope with Lego, and before I knew it, I had purchased a few thousand dollars worth of Lego sets for myself and for investment (some of which have already paid off well, namely the 10210 IF).

As of the present time, my wife's interest in Lego has started to wane with the exception of the winter sets, but I'm still going full throttle lol. She likes the cute little buildings, while I like the big ugly (but very functional and impressive) technic sets.
  • I would say if she is excited about the chrome TC-14, then it sounds like she likes Star Wars. You can always start her out on the Landspeeder ( has a C3PO).
  • Yeah,she kinda dig Star-Wars,but on the other hand she also asked me for a Superman and a Wonderwoman Minifig;) hmm maybe i'll get her the Superman/Wonderwoman vs.Lex Luthor set,i just hope she doesn't pull out the Figs and put the rest (unbuild) aside!
  • If she wants the chrome TC-14, wait until May 4th when they will be free with a $75 purchase.
  • My wife likes building Lego with me, she seems to love to organizing part and I do the building. I´m sure I´m more into it than her, but one time I finished a modular without her she got dissapointed that I did not wait. She´s also planning with me new buildings and how to display the sets we already have.
  • I didn't think mine was, but I think she is slowly getting into it.

For example, I was telling her about May the 4th. I like the look of the Chrome TC-14 and so I said to her that I was going to have to decide which set to get as I'm not that into SW lego, and which set I'd be most keen on that was over £50.

Without even thinking about it, she said 'I'll buy you the new R2-D2 coming out". Bear in mind I'd shown her it once when it was first announced and said it was the one SW set I'd definitely like to own, she came out with it without even thinking about it. She's never helped me with a build but I'm thinking about trying to get her involved with the modulars so she won't moan at me for spending the money.

I'm also holding her to her promise of getting me the UCS R2-D2 :)
  • Hubster and I are both officially SCFOL's (Senior Citizen Fans of Lego). We both buy, both build, and both have our favorite themes. When it comes to the Lego City Layout he is the Lego City Planner but I'm the Lego City Manager.
  • My wife is the set builder in the house.. :)
  • I have given my boyfriend the odd CMF, but they're specifically for him - like I bought him the Scottish bagpiper when I went home a few weeks ago because he's Scottish and we live in Edinburgh. I told him, "it's funny because I had to go to Vancouver to find a Scottish man!". Stuff like that. But he isn't into Lego at all, he thinks it's a bit mad, the expense of it all, and truth be told I don't think he has the patience for it. He likes for me to be happy though, and he thinks it's harmless, so we never fight over it or anything.
  • Just told me girlfriend that when we move into our house this spring coming up that there will be a prenup in place. She can keep the house, the Lego comes with me.

I have to admit though, she loves the idea of me loving Lego. She is responsible for getting my UCS for xmas and my birthday. Easy presents for her to buy and she loves they way they make me happy. Unfortunately after this summer all UCS will be done. So NEED to start looking at another line. She says to me, what about the Architecture line. It really catches her attention. Woohoo!

She says she loves the idea of Lego because it keeps me close to the house, talking like a awkward teenager. Some days I think to myself that I am trapped in a basement, then I see those mini-figs and think otherwise.

All in all, she loves the idea of it, has built sets with me before so I am happy and lucky for that.
  • Yeah my fiancé loves Lego like me. She has hers and I have mine, all our kids love Lego too. My fiancé loves the HP Lego, she also has some Kingdoms and the medieval market town. She loved the VW Camper I got her at Xmas.

We are moving house soon and I've started dismantling and boxing up my SW sets, and she has told me that I can get some different display cabinets for the new house and all the new SW sets that I'm gonna get.

I'm not allowed to buy the CMF myself, she has to fiddle with the bags and buy them for me.
  • I am married to an AFOL, but he wasn't an AFOL when I met him (he did own some Lego though).

We both love Lego and when we work on things together or he adds his ideas I think the end product is better. Having two AFOLs also means we buy each other Lego so our collection grows twice as fast.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi I'm moving house very soon so my fiancé has started taking all the Lego apart to move it. Only because he wants to rebuild it all !! The thing is he bought me the vw campervan at christmas and it took me a good few days on and off to build it. He wants to take it apart and rebuild it himself. Should I be really nice and let him lol ???
  • Hmmm... I dont see what harm that can do?

I always encourage my wife to take apart what I've done to experience the built herself. Many times its only by building it then you can truly understand the little details in the set.
  • Don't think he would let me do that to his starwars sets !! I know what you mean about appreciating the little details.
  • When my son and I want to rebuild something, whoever put it together first has to take it apart for whoever wants to rebuild it. That way none of the ingenious secrets are revealed prematurely. And rebuilding is a great way to fool yourself into believing that you already have enough Lego and shouldn't buy anymore. Today.
  • Wish my other half loved Lego. All I get are withering looks.....
  • I had loads of LEGO as a kid, but by loads really not so much. At the moment I've got about 200 sets, largely City but some SW, Creator, Alien Conquest, Pharaoh's Quest as well as a few other random sets (like Cars, Classic Space etc).

I try and limit myself to no more than 100 euro a month max and this time of year is tight due to bills but occasionally I go nuts. like when they had buy one get one 50% off at a local toy store and bought the city trains about a year ago...oopsie

Anyway, my wife understands and even appreciates my like of LEGO and even likes some of the sets like the creator log cabin. We have 2 little kids so no building for me 98% of the time. My son loves the LEGO (eggo as he calls it) but always ends up losing bits like recently from the technic rescue helicopter. I ende up finding them around the house but usually only after getting spares...oh well. Other than that I have an Xbox which really never gets on these days and my wife hates it...not so much these days :D

My argument is that all her friends' husbands all go out drinking leaving them with the kids and I don't so my beer money goes on LEGO. Suits me.
  • My wife loves LEGO and she mainly builds the Creator Houses and and Castle sets I buys her. Her sister and her family also collect and we went to Brickworld together and her brother in Cali collects and we are all going to Comic Con next year. WE ALL LOVE LEGO! I got my first set from her two years ago 2.5 years ago and I've spent ALOT of money since then.
  • My wife also likes the hobby though she doesn't build. She knew that I collected some before we met but since we lived together and we got married my collection kind of exploded. He thinks a lot of sets are cool and we are preemptively buying friends sets for her to play with alongside our son once he is old enough to tap into my collection. My wife also appreciates the hobby because of the deal finding and always being stocked up on birthday and Christmas gifts for the children in our lives.
  • my fiancee is the one who got me back into lego...she bought me Darth Vader's Tie as a "joke gift" because i always complained i had missed out on star wars lego as a kid by a couple of years

since then my collection has exploded...including the amazing 10188 Death Star

since then...she has become interested in lego too...particularly the winter village and the modulars

she's getting the fire brigade from me for her birthday in a few weeks!
  • My girlfriend is very supportive but she seems to like the collecting aspects more than the building (which suits me fine!)

Her favourites are also modulars and the winter village sets, but she is also keen on city. She is slowly getting more into it though. She bought me Fire Brigade for my birthday, and I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back, she had almost built the whole first story!! :o
  • cloud0 said:

Hmmm... I dont see what harm that can do?

I always encourage my wife to take apart what I've done to experience the built herself. Many times its only by building it then you can truly understand the little details in the set.

My wife loves taking apart my sets, but not for the reasons you stated...she just wants them put away...